Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

New detector or new hunting areas..

Posted by Dan-Pa. 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
New detector or new hunting areas..
June 05, 2016 03:04PM
We all learn by trying new detectors however It can become expensive but adding depth better handling of bad ground etc. can revitalize old areas....with fences and no detecting signs plus liability issues new areas are tough to come by.
I understand many variances from areas and states so your call and good luck in your ventures...
Re: New detector or new hunting areas..
June 05, 2016 03:58PM
Thing I hate is inconsistency in laws against use of Detectors. I have always been a all or nothing type guy.
We can hunt city parks " For now at least" But can't detect Forest Preserves. I here in Pittsburgh you can't hunt city parks, But everything else for the most part? We all should be able to hunt Public Property or not Federally. That way I could deside whether too stay in Hobby or not. Be given it a lot of thought lately as I'm the type guy When I'm done I'm done.
June 05, 2016 05:37PM
If you have a really good detector that works in your dirt then any area can become a great area. It's more the iron in the ground that can make a good hunt bad and targets that are hiding keep hiding. Smaller coils faster recovery are all part of being able to hunt better.

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
June 05, 2016 08:31PM
Hey Dan, here are my thoughts........for what it's worth...lol

I believe in the real estate #1 law....Location X's 3, if the treasure you seek is not there, your top of the line metal detector will not find it. I do a lot of door knocking and asking people if they know of older places to hunt. Just lately found a ghost town that is now a wheat field, just by looking you would not know, soon as harvest is over, I will do some searching on that site.
June 05, 2016 10:01PM
Location location location.
June 05, 2016 10:28PM
Order of importance, IMO:

1. site
2. user
3. detector
June 06, 2016 01:25AM
Harold,ILL. Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thing I hate is inconsistency in laws against use
> of Detectors. I have always been a all or nothing
> type guy.
> We can hunt city parks " For now at least" But
> can't detect Forest Preserves. I here in
> Pittsburgh you can't hunt city parks, But
> everything else for the most part? We all should
> be able to hunt Public Property or not Federally.
> That way I could deside whether too stay in Hobby
> or not. Be given it a lot of thought lately as I'm
> the type guy When I'm done I'm done.

Well I would keep one at least,,you know to find things with.

------------"Cz's still bad to the bone".------------
Living on a big ass Astroid.
The woman that got my rib,I want it back.
June 06, 2016 03:22AM
Dan-Pa. Wrote:
> We all learn by trying new detectors however It
> can become expensive but adding depth better
> handling of bad ground etc. can revitalize old
> areas....with fences and no detecting signs plus
> liability issues new areas are tough to come by.
> I understand many variances from areas and states
> so your call and good luck in your ventures...

liability issues really are a "giant" pain in da ass"
seems everybody is paranoid these days!..too much sh*t goin' down!
unless people know ya real good,tough to hunt on private sites..persistence
pays dividends!

(h.h.!)
j.t.
Re: New detector or new hunting areas...BOTH!
June 06, 2016 06:21PM
One does not preclude the other. Nothing wrong with acquiring new tools AND new sites. Each bring their own challenges and learning, disappointments and rewards!
Putting a new machine through its paces and learning it; giving yourself time to understand the machine and how it works and what you can do to help it work even better in your hands over your sites is, or should be, fun.
Of course, this may, or may not be YOUR thing. Even a new machine that brings disappointment in its use can increase your pleasure, satisfaction, and even rewards, in returning to an old favorite; or acquiring the next "unknown quantity" to see what it may teach you about detecting.

Wayne

Pleasant Garden, NC
AT Max, Nokta Impact, MX Sport, Nokta FORS Relic, GPX 4800, Infinium, Racer, Deus, F75SE, Nautilus DMC II (order of acquisition, last to first)

Does an archeologist argue with a plow? A bureaucrat with a bulldozer?
June 07, 2016 09:05AM
I have been slacking in both areas. For me, new areas are most important....I'm very confident with the years old detectors I have.
June 08, 2016 01:19AM
marcomo Wrote:
> Order of importance, IMO:
>
> 1. site
> 2. user
> 3. detector

X2 and in order. A seasoned Hunter an take a bh tracker lV and crack head a top of the line machine and give him hands on for a week and I'll still
put my money on the old hand and tracker lv.

------------"Cz's still bad to the bone".------------
Living on a big ass Astroid.
The woman that got my rib,I want it back.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/08/2016 01:24AM by supertraq.
June 08, 2016 01:52AM
My experience has been this. The location is a gimme. Why hunt someplace that is not a good location? I've seen more items masked than imaginable in the last year and a half on the same good locations that have been hunted to death. User comes to mind heavily, but I've never seen so much whining about some detectors like, mines making noises, it's just signaling on everything like crazy lol. Good lawd at the whining. The machine itself, I'm positive that is a deciding factor, seen it myself. More stuff less than 5-6 inches deep and most shallower, hiding in plain sight masked by something.
June 08, 2016 10:11AM
You never know what you will dig up. As far as location, my first statement may also depend on what part of the U.S. you are hunting in.

For instance....A friend of mine was looking for a corner marker to his property. His home is a Cape Cod style house built in the late 50's early 60's. His neighbor was walking with him when he got a signal, digs out a 1700's King George. Not really a huge surprise (except to his neighbor) because this was mostly farmland from years ago and newer homes were built where the early settlers lived.

Around here in SE PA, I could probably detect anywhere and possibly find an old coin or two.....same goes for any colonial type state. I wouldn't expect to find many Civil War relics around this area but I have dug a few 3 ringers, possibly from hunters.

I guess my point being, location is important even on a broader scale......BUT, don't count out places because you feel or think nothing is in the ground worth digging......You never know.
June 08, 2016 12:59PM
You can't find stuff if it's not there to find.

I've walked a lot of properties that I can tell you where stuff wasn't.

The detector makes a difference too though. In masking from trash and masking from ground minerals. If a person has bad ground and hunts the areas with a pulse machine; they will be amazed at what all they had walked right over and ignored.

The same goes for people hunting in trash and iron, and trusting your target ID. You might think you are doing good by digging shallow clad and late year silver dimes. But you are probably walking over a lot of coins like indian head cents, 3 cent pieces, older silver coins, flying eagle cents, etc. I recently dug a flying eagle cent...and I can tell you it came in as a 32 on ID on my machine. A cherry picking person would have left it in the ground as trash....and probably been happy digging a wheat penny a few feet from it. Me? I wouldn't take 1,000 wheat pennies and a handful of silver rosie or merc dimes for that one flying eagle cent.