Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Coil finesse,,,How important is it???

Posted by tnsharpshooter 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Coil finesse,,,How important is it???
June 06, 2016 11:31AM
I have been giving a lot of thought on this subject.

Is is important??

What can do do for you??

To begin with,,most of us know,,not all detectors are created equal when it comes to separation and unmasking when hunting areas loaded with nails and or iron,,,when looking for goodies.

Just how does one move their coil when detecting in a site like I have mentioned???

Is it good sweeps back and forth,,,like one normally does when hunting more open ground-- free of trash and ferrous objects??

Nope,,coil movement at least for me when hunting such sites is more erratic,,,this from a sweep perspective,,,to include sweep length,, coil height above ground, definitely can be more of a fidgety coil movement application.

Does detector weight and balance help here with this??

You bet,,,when a person has to move their coil in more erratic patterns,,, shifting positions and style depending on what music their detector is playing to their ears,,,a lighter weight and better balanced detector will certainly go a long ways to keep you in the field longer-- without tiring.

It takes a lot of energy to change directions of a coil sweep,,,it can take its toll on you-- with time.
And hotter temps will aggravate this.

Even having a detector that has a rod that can be micro adjusted for length-- this too can help a person,,,to make the rod length actually fit the person's height and or terrain ( your actual detecting scenario) plus as one tires,,,,a person can shorten slightly and may even be able to stay in the field a bit longer-- even if tired.
To be able to detect keeping your entire body is a more natural state-- relieves pressure and adds comfort.

I am a strong believer in the more coil sweeping (movement) time the better,,,when a person can feel more relaxed-- not having to fight a detector due to out a whack balance and or additional (too much weight)

I am not a weakling by any stretch,,weight about 210 pounds,,,can run a commercial weed eater ( heavy) for 6 hours straight with few breaks ( with no harness used),,but even I can still see and feel what one of my particular model detectors is allowing me to do.

I'd do have some heavier detectors I do use,,,but even if these heavier detectors performed like my lightest detector-- I feel overall at the end of most detecting sessions,,,I would have less finds,,and or be more tired.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 06/06/2016 11:48AM by tnsharpshooter.
Re: Coil finesse,,,How important is it???
June 06, 2016 03:21PM
All depends on the unit in hand....for instance a CZ...slow sweep....XLT...fast sweep for max efficiency...etc. etc.
June 06, 2016 03:30PM
letting it scrub the ground and a med swing, unless you have control of the recovery speed

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/07/2016 02:09AM by Lawrenzo.
June 06, 2016 04:54PM
I'm one that with "each" target that sounds interesting I'll vary sweep speed right quickly slower, faster, and in between to see if I get a better identifying sound. Second nature for me. Saves a lot of time and if my, lol, brain cells match it to something to dig I'll give it that minute to dig it. I'm positive a LOT of people are beep and dig specimens in the way they approach detecting. Sweep speed just might be one of the most important factors in detecting behind just having a machine. Finesse it is.......
June 06, 2016 06:26PM
I vary my swing a lot based on conditions, especially when I am in the ocean. I do find that a lighter detector would go a long way to getting me swing time though. Fisher/Minelab need to come out with a machine lighter machine that is only water proof to 10 feet and I would be all on it.

Nox600, CTX, CZ21, Excal II and White's DF with 920i stealthscoop...I live and hunt at the beach in Wilm NCsmiling smiley
June 07, 2016 11:36PM
I have always been a coil scrubber that's why I'm a firm believer in coil covers even though some say they are like the Old plastic furniture covers useless. And if something sounds worthy I will do the Old Minelab wiggle which also works on CZ's. If I can wiggle out a go signal I dig.
June 08, 2016 12:45AM
Hunt an area from multiple angles. Take your time with level swings and dig the beeps. It's not that complicated. Hunt it again with a different coil or detector and be amazed what you left behind.
June 08, 2016 01:12AM
It helps to have an arsenal of machines at your disposal to cover all types of conditions, otherwise you just have to learn how to make the machine you have perform at it's best in the conditions at hand, which will involve detector settings, coil sizes, sweep speeds, bobbing or wiggling the coil, etc.

Since I do not have an arsenal of detectors, I find that if I'm going to spend a lot of time investigating a particular "iffy" signal and come to no solid conclusion as to dig or not, then I might as well just dig it and learn from the result. Sometimes the result is a nice surprise.

There are some days when it's too hot outside or I'm just plain tired and decide to just do some easy cherry picking too. I think cherry picking is very under-rated.smiling smiley

HH
John