Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Non-ferrous metallic meteorite?

Posted by Digs_alot 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Non-ferrous metallic meteorite?
June 11, 2016 01:55AM
This find came from my favorite beach. On the CTX3030, has a reading of 11-15. The larger piece weighs 6.72g, and has a density of around 9.7g/cm3. (displaces .69g of water)
I assumed it was another piece of lead, but kept it anyway. After returning from detecting, attempted to bend the tip with a pair of needle-nose pliers to confirm that it was lead. Instead of bending, the tip cleanly snapped off. What in the world is this?

Using a 30x loupe, could see the thin, black outer crust, hiding the silvery crystalline-like metal interior.

It does look like a meteorite, but most, if not all, metallic meteorites have a percentage of iron and nickel, and should have some level of attraction to a strong magnet. Well, this has no attraction to a strong magnet, has a CTX3030 reading of 11-15 (non-ferrous), and is too dense (9.7g/cm3) to be composed mostly of iron and nickel.

I’m relatively sure that I found a couple of these at the same location over the years, but assumed they were lead, and discarded them.

Has anyone ever encountered anything similar?
If not a meteorite, then what kind of native metal has a density of 9.7g/cm3, crystalline-like structure, somewhat brittle, and a relatively low conductivity on the CTX3030?

Below are several photos of this oddity.

The bottom right photo is of the smaller piece. On the lower left half of this photo, you can see the thin black outer shell. Doesn’t look like an oxidation layer.

These photos gives you an idea of the object’s size.

Detecting since Feb, 2010
E-trac with 18"x15" SEF, 13" Ultimate coil, Pro coil, Minelab 8" coil, 4.5"x7" SEF, Sunray target probe
CTX3030 with 17"x13" DD coil, 11" DD coil
Re: Non-ferrous metallic meteorite?
June 11, 2016 03:09AM
There are places you can send photos to identify. And send them in. Looks like possible slag. I hope you have a meteorite.

Rick
June 11, 2016 03:54AM
Interesting to say the least.

Will be following.
June 11, 2016 10:40AM
Interesting. If you thought it was lead, I imagine it feels heavy, like lead, and not lite like aluminum. My guess is it's slag from a welding rod mixed with what was being welded.
Hopefully, it IS a special and rare meteorite.
June 11, 2016 10:59AM
Interesting, and I haven't a clue, but the relative softness, to be marked and broken by the pliers like that, I believe is against you.
I do like the outward appearance, though. Good luck!

Wayne

Pleasant Garden, NC
AT Max, Nokta Impact, MX Sport, Nokta FORS Relic, GPX 4800, Infinium, Racer, Deus, F75SE, Nautilus DMC II (order of acquisition, last to first)

Does an archeologist argue with a plow? A bureaucrat with a bulldozer?
June 11, 2016 03:10PM
Doesn't look like any meteorite that I have ever seen. There are simple tests that you can do...streak test for example. Google the basic tests that you can do at home. Good luck.

Dean
June 12, 2016 01:56AM
I have several pieces of the same thing I've found metal detecting.. My conclusion is its lead that had tin or something mixed in,,it's not pure lead for sure..
It breaks and looks crystalline like..

------------"Cz's still bad to the bone".------------
Living on a big ass Astroid.
The woman that got my rib,I want it back.
June 12, 2016 03:34AM
Rick, N. MI Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> There are places you can send photos to identify.
> And send them in. Looks like possible slag. I hope
> you have a meteorite.
>
> Rick

Thanks all.
I know that a non-ferrous metallic meteorite is very unlikely, but what if?

Going to do some google searches for websites that receives photos for identification. Perhaps they’ll request a sample for analysis. And then know exactly what it is. Found a lot of interesting rock specimens, including a patch of magnetite rocks at this beach.

Thanks again for all of your replies.

Detecting since Feb, 2010
E-trac with 18"x15" SEF, 13" Ultimate coil, Pro coil, Minelab 8" coil, 4.5"x7" SEF, Sunray target probe
CTX3030 with 17"x13" DD coil, 11" DD coil
June 12, 2016 05:17PM
Dosen't look like any meteorite l ever found, most likely some alloy or slag.