Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

what is it - I already know - do you?

Posted by ncwayne 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
what is it - I already know - do you?
June 11, 2016 05:03PM
Found this a few days ago in a field adjacent to an old house that the owners date back to the 1870s.
It took me a while to figure out what the word over the eagle is, but after that, finding online references to it was pretty easy.
It's an interesting item and I wonder if someone else here has found one?

I'll chime in with more info after a bit. Have fun!

Thanks for playing.

Wayne

Pleasant Garden, NC
AT Max, Nokta Impact, MX Sport, Nokta FORS Relic, GPX 4800, Infinium, Racer, Deus, F75SE, Nautilus DMC II (order of acquisition, last to first)

Does an archeologist argue with a plow? A bureaucrat with a bulldozer?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/11/2016 05:04PM by ncwayne.
Re: what is it - I already know - do you?
June 11, 2016 05:23PM
Looks like a saw nut to me..

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
June 11, 2016 07:42PM
Yes Keith. its a Disston Saw medallion
June 11, 2016 07:51PM
don't think so; it doesn't say Disston

Pleasant Garden, NC
AT Max, Nokta Impact, MX Sport, Nokta FORS Relic, GPX 4800, Infinium, Racer, Deus, F75SE, Nautilus DMC II (order of acquisition, last to first)

June 11, 2016 08:24PM
Old furniture wheel....not sure of the size. Looking at it again, that's not it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/11/2016 08:25PM by ozzie.
June 11, 2016 09:18PM
Saw medallion on lower quality saw.....they used marketing even back then to make folks proud to own a lesser quality saw blade. They used superior on the lower models.
June 11, 2016 09:29PM
Good info here:
[www.disstonianinstitute.com]

and here:
[www.disstonianinstitute.com]

scroll down near bottom of page for photo of "Warranted Superior" medallion and dialog about them. Now you're all set if you ever dig up (or find in a yard sale) an old hand saw.

I suppose the medallion I found is from just before or just after 1900. Keith suggested about 1910. It did create a bit of interest when I cleaned the item and some wording and the image of an eagle appeared.

Cheers!

Wayne

Pleasant Garden, NC

June 12, 2016 12:56AM
My first home was one of Henry Disston's employees in Tacony, Philadelphia. I actually have several Disston hand saws that my grandfather owned.....used one a day ago.
The handsaws were of very good quality....they stayed sharp longer than most.