Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Would like to see someone like NASA Tom do some coins on edge test

Posted by tnsharpshooter 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Would like to see someone like NASA Tom do some coins on edge test
June 27, 2016 03:14AM
Do some test with both small and large,,high and lower conducive coins on edge test.

Some detectors I would like to see included,,stock coil equipped AT Pro and AT Gold, Deus with 9" coil and Goldmaxx with 9" coil, Minelab CTX, Fisher F75dst model, Makro Racer 2, and the Nokta Relic.

And for small coil equipped detectors,,, AT Pro, At Gold,,F75dst, Racer 2, Nokta Relic, Fisher Gold bug, Minlab CTX

There may be some more that should be added..

Why am I bringing this subject up???

Tell tell the truth,,,my experiences with Nokta Relic detector and only using the small coil--- something is up with it,,,I suspect this baby is doing something on coins on edge,,,finding too many shallower coins in areas pummeled by myself with some other great detectors,,,and some of these coins I'm finding--- masking doesn't seem to be a reason for me not finding them with other supposed worthy detectors,,,,unless of course the maskers are too small for my pinpointer to actually alert me to.

Would be interesting to see some comparisons though,,and consider things like quality and duration of tones provided, depth, coils swing speed forgiveness, coil position, and actual coin ID.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/27/2016 03:17AM by tnsharpshooter.
Re: Would like to see someone like NASA Tom do some coins on edge test
June 27, 2016 05:44AM
would like to see whitey's mx-5 included with "small" coil group!

(h.h.!)
j.t.
June 27, 2016 02:58PM
My experience just last weekend:

On my CTX, I was getting a few 12-45 12-47 and they turned out to be copper pennies about 6-7 inches in the ground on their side.
June 27, 2016 03:18PM
High freq high gain units love to targets..coins on edge......

As the ground drys out in the summer the thinner smaller on edge closer to surface targets can and will magically appear..the depth can suffer but the separation from co locate bleed is compressed..

If you have the right tool it will here those otherwise overlooked targets...high gain high freq and small coil.

On the Relic be sure to keep your disc on zero and iMask on zero..

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
June 27, 2016 07:21PM
I think if the Deus had a 6" or 7" DD coil it would be at the top of high freq and high gain detectors. It can be set up and run about any way you want, just need a small coil.
June 28, 2016 12:39AM
The 2 Best Detector coil combos I ever used at getting deep coins on edge are
CZ-3D-10.5" Coil.
Etrac-Sunray 12" Coil.
June 30, 2016 12:10AM
Using the CTX with both the 11” coil and 17”x13” coil, I’ve detected several coins that I suspect were at a near vertical angle in the ground.
I usually get a weak, iron-like signal (high ferrous ID value). Then have to sweep over the target in different directions to obtain the strongest signal to determine if it’s iron falsing, or a non-ferrous target. Sometimes, sweeping over the target several times, the CTX locks on and gives valid non-ferrous target ID value. In those cases, I suspect the initial sweep direction was near parallel to the edge of the near-vertical coin.
Other times, have to switch to an all-metal pattern and sweep again in different directions to see if the CTX reads a solid iron signal, or remains a weak, iron-like signal. Sometimes, if it remains a weak, iron-like signal, it’s a coin at or near maximum detection depth (for a coin on edge). Have to use a relatively high manual sensitivity level for detecting such coins.

Detecting since Feb, 2010
E-trac with 18"x15" SEF, 13" Ultimate coil, Pro coil, Minelab 8" coil, 4.5"x7" SEF, Sunray target probe
CTX3030 with 17"x13" DD coil, 11" DD coil
June 30, 2016 12:49AM
This 10.5" Fisher coil was killer for coins on edge:

With an concentric transmit coil with an elliptical receive coil (might be vice versa?) it did very well at finding coins on edge (and rings). Would really like to see a similar design brought back for their F75 in a modern, lighter design.
June 30, 2016 10:32AM
Dang Harold and Cal now I need to get another CZ and 10.5" coil. As you said, they are killer for on-edge silver. I remember hunting some old parks with Rick and cleaning up on Barber dimes with that combo.

Tom.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
In a democracy, it is difficult to win fellow citizens over to your own side, or to build public support to remedy injustices that remain all too real when you fundamentally misunderstand how they see the world.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/30/2016 10:34AM by Jackpine.