Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Is the Hole Hog from PRT available anywhere?

Posted by pepe88 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Is the Hole Hog from PRT available anywhere?
June 27, 2016 04:56PM
I'm looking for a tool to cut deep plugs. I found the HH but it doesn't seem to be in stock anywhere. Do you know of another tool that does the same job if I'm not able to find a HH?
Re: Is the Hole Hog from PRT available anywhere?
June 27, 2016 05:05PM
I have been looking around.

Have you tried eBay???

Some of them have been listed in the past there.
June 27, 2016 05:11PM
Yes. I can't find it there. If it's not on eBay it's time to give up...lol! I'll keep looking though.
June 27, 2016 05:17PM
The Hole Hog is a great tool in the right soil. They don't work worth a crap in rocky soil but nice damp sod they work great. I recently saw someone selling a copy. Not sure of the quality, but someone is make a "Hole Hog" copy out there. Keep looking. I'll try to find out who was making it.
June 27, 2016 07:38PM
Haven't seen them around for a while certainly not for every situation but work well in some....might try the classifieds for a used one..
June 28, 2016 12:00AM
We used to use Golf course Green hole cutters in yards..perfect plug and sturdy and sharp as a tack..

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
June 28, 2016 09:16PM
I have a pair of Hole Hogs I've been using for decades for coinshooting in the manacured lawns around old homes. Prior to the popularity of the DD coils, my pinpointing was spot on and almost all targets within 3 or 4 inches of the surface could be recovered with a simple probe (I have a "coin-popper" ) or in conjunction with a knife to make a narrow slit in the grass above the target. Despite many years using an explorer xs and now an e-trac, I've never gained the same exactness with the DD coils that I had with my CZ's and various older Whites machines. In a nutshell, I need a bigger hole when hunting with my e-trac or I hit coins with the edge of the HH. So, they get used less frequently now.

I did see a Hole Hog on the e-b auction site a few days ago along with a group of recovery tools. Couldn't tell what sort of condition it was in. It is a thin walled stainless steel cyclinder and the leading edge can be bent out of round if you get too aggressive when hitting obstacles in the dirt.

I've often wished there were a larger diameter version to make it easier to get my hand in the hole and to lessen the likelihood of hitting a coin or target that pinpoints off center. Many years ago I was told the tubing size was unique so no go for a bigger size.

If the green keeping industry has a option that is light enough to carry around, that would be worth looking into for coin shooters hunting in turf.

Gonebeepin'

------------------------------------------------------------------

Just one more good target before I go.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 06/28/2016 10:49PM by Gonebeepin'.
June 28, 2016 09:25PM
Years ago, there was another company that made a Hole Hog copy. It was made with a thicker tube and it didn't work nearly as well. Was heavier also. I cut very small notches on the end of the tube and it allows it to cut thru the sod and roots much easier. Otherwise, sometimes the edge of the tube would hit a thick grass root and not want to cut thru it. I think the tube was made out of the same stuff they use for the leg on RV dinette tables.
June 28, 2016 09:44PM
Need one with a slap hammer attached. Put it on the drawing board!!