Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

like my at pro

Posted by farmerboy856 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
like my at pro
June 27, 2016 05:18PM
So I bought an at pro last year and a 5x8 coil. Always read about them and thought they had to be over hyped, what with the small screen screen, little numbers, nose heavy with stock coil, no back lite. No way do I want a machine like that! Well I bought one and put the 5x8 coil on and I love it. Last year my main use machines were the omega and mxt pro. I've used the mxt twice this year and omega only a few times more. The at pro is fun to use I find stuff and the 5x8 coil works well. I have no problem with the vdi numbers size and with the small coil weight is not an issue. I was very impressed how close to fences I could work and get the iron signals yet still get 3 wheat penny signals where I had just been with mxt and couldn't sort out any good signals. I found my first gold wedding ring with it along with a nice handful of silver coins and tokens numerous wheat pennies and several Indian head cents. Another positive is I find I dig much less targets that read good and end up being iron unlike the omega which seems to like fence staples and rusty bits nearly as much as it likes silver. Although I've found in my yard that if I run the sens at max on the at pro it to will tend to call rusty iron a possible dig me. I don't know how deep it will go with the 5x8 coil and still give accurate id's but I've had no trouble with coin size targets at 6 to 7 inches. I prefer to run it in pro zero with zero disc and just listen sometimes I'll disc up to 15 20 and turn iron audio on. I don't care for the bell tone in standard so I can't report on those modes. I enjoy the audio of the pro mode. I like the proportional audio for instance that softer high tone a silver dime makes will stop you right in your tracks! One I don't like is the glare on screen in direct sun but that is minor to me considering all the positive reasons I listed above . I know this is old news to those who know but I just wanted to admit I no longer think it's over hyped it's a very capable machine that I enjoy using and I think it does a great job. I did take it over a spot I hunted hard with my omega and 11 in coil and I was unable to pull even one new target of interest. So the omega is still no slouch in just enjoying using the garretts.
Re: like my at pro
June 27, 2016 05:46PM
Good write-up, farmerboy. A pleasure to read. Yes, the AT Pro has to be right up there near the top of all time classic machines. Glad you are having fun; that's what it's all about!

Wayne

Pleasant Garden, NC
AT Max, Nokta Impact, MX Sport, Nokta FORS Relic, GPX 4800, Infinium, Racer, Deus, F75SE, Nautilus DMC II (order of acquisition, last to first)

Does an archeologist argue with a plow? A bureaucrat with a bulldozer?
June 27, 2016 07:21PM
Thanks nc, I enjoy detecting and when I find one that I truly like I like I like to share it. Otherwise it would be awful hard for someone to wade through all the choices out there. I now understand why it's so popular it's simple affordable fun works well just a good all around machine.
June 27, 2016 07:35PM
Good for you...over the years Garrett has made some fine units.....
June 27, 2016 11:10PM
Well Farmerboy, ya'll finally got a machine with "pro" in its name. So I guess now you are a PROfessional Detector person. smileys with beer Hey got your text but AT&T is having fits again these last few days. I can receive a text but cannot respond back.......guess I'll have to drop AT&T and join the evil empire again (Verizon).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/27/2016 11:15PM by Oregongregg.
June 27, 2016 11:53PM
No Hype just performance on the AT's..

If that sucker was as deep as a F75 or DEEPER it would be all one would need..

It's a true site unlocker for sure.. and has great depth..a little more umph and it would be in a class of its own..

On aside note I got to use the First AT-PRO before the coil noise was fixed...those first Noisy coil AT's were Depth demons..

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
June 28, 2016 03:35AM
Keith Southern Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> No Hype just performance on the AT's..
>
> If that sucker was as deep as a F75 or DEEPER it
> would be all one would need..
>
> It's a true site unlocker for sure.. and has great
> depth..a little more umph and it would be in a
> class of its own..
>
> On aside note I got to use the First AT-PRO before
> the coil noise was fixed...those first Noisy coil
> AT's were Depth demons..
>
> Keith

They "dummied them down" to appease the masses!------There were complaints Iin this regard) about the early out AT Pros---as I remember.
June 28, 2016 03:57AM
I liked my AT Pro, it found silver that my F75 never saw, just didn't get that great of depth. It was a great unmasker, just not a deep seeker.
June 28, 2016 04:05AM
Keith, good to hear someone with your expertise confirming what I've always felt about AT Pro depth variance.

I've used the AT Pro more than any other detector since 2011. I've found it to be a very good detector in most respects, excellent separation, wide sweep speed tolerance, respectable depth, and great audio.

But the 1st AT Pro I had in 2011, after the coil fix but before the later in the year upgrade, had some serious depth. So my hot AT was actually produced after the coil falsing issue had been resolved. I actually measured a 1959-d penny at 10". When I got my AT back after the upgrade it didn't quite have quite the same depth. Kind of sucks to have to say your deepest coin find is dated 1959.eye rolling smiley

From Brent Weaver on down, the folks at Garrett denied anything was done that would decrease depth. But for some reason, the post upgrade AT and two that I've had since don't have the oomph of that first pre-upgraded unit.

If Garrett could find another inch and a half of depth for the AT, they would truly have a world beater.
June 28, 2016 12:42PM
Sounds like you are having a blast with your detector Farmerboy.
AT Pro is one I have never owned ,,but you see a lot of good things said about them.

The small screen is really the only negative posted about them,,,but with your young eyes-- you likely have no problems.
June 28, 2016 10:34PM
I love using the AT Pro. It is a lightweight machine that can really be maneuvered. Out of all the detectors I have owned and used, it was the AT Pro that assisted me in finding my first two seated dimes and (2) three-cent pieces. As others mention, I just wish it could reach to greater depths. All-in-all a super fun machine and is laser sharp (with the 5x8 coil) in plucking out non-ferrous objects in ferrous environments. I wish Garrett would consider installing a volume knob so someone who is partially deaf (like myself) can turn up the volume to hear the deeper targets. Maybe Tom D can super tune the AT Pro? smoking smiley
June 29, 2016 03:10AM
Got in my side yard my most mainly pounded spot and most trashy spot with at pro tonight dug one plug 5x5 by maybe ten inches deep when I was done and I pulled over 15 nails bits of iron and wire to find a 22 casing. next hole produced a neat old wood chisel and half a file next came a foil wrapper then I got little better signal popped plug there's a big nail little deeper and here's an old wheat penny! Little further along and nice high tone 80 84 would only pop up after I ppd center otherwise no numbers and at 4 inches is a clad dime. I thought I cleaned this spot out last year I dug a mercury dime a token several wheat pennies and Jefferson nickels 2 rings and lbs of iron foil and nails with the omega. The two coins are nothing special but considering the area like 30 by 30 and it's a test ground for every detector I ever owned I was pleasantly surprised. It's just amazing what's in the ground just wish I was finding more masked silver than pennies and clad but this is still pretty exciting to be pulling these coins in my own yard that as of this summer I've been digging in for over 22 years! Luckily I've recorded most every coin I found in the home yard when and with what machine. Be neat to eventually see just how many coins turn up. Oldest so far was a 1874 shield nickel.
June 29, 2016 04:52AM
Yes, once you know the oldies are there - that's when the hunt really begins. Good luck with your quest.

Wayne

Pleasant Garden, NC
AT Max, Nokta Impact, MX Sport, Nokta FORS Relic, GPX 4800, Infinium, Racer, Deus, F75SE, Nautilus DMC II (order of acquisition, last to first)

Does an archeologist argue with a plow? A bureaucrat with a bulldozer?
June 29, 2016 05:37AM
EPL II Wrote:
> Maybe Tom D can super tune the AT Pro?
> smoking smiley

I'm not Tom, but I don't think I'm going out on a limb by saying he can't do that.

I know he's said in the past that he can't do anything to improve the F75. When he sells a certified F75, what he's doing is verifying that the detector is a proper one.
July 01, 2016 11:30PM
Thanks for the info marcomo. Although you did ruin a dream of mine.... lol jk

marcomo Wrote:
> EPL II Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Maybe Tom D can super tune the AT Pro?
> > smoking smiley
>
> I'm not Tom, but I don't think I'm going out on a
> limb by saying he can't do that.
>
> I know he's said in the past that he can't do
> anything to improve the F75. When he sells a
> certified F75, what he's doing is verifying that
> the detector is a proper one.