Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

deus is driving me nuts

Posted by master_cat 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
deus is driving me nuts
June 27, 2016 06:28PM
i had a ctx 3030 some one stole it so i got a deus i just can not get my head around this thing i mostly dig junk and zinc pennys havent found a silver since iv gotten it maby im just not using it right
Re: deus is driving me nuts
June 27, 2016 06:48PM
short answer before TNSS chimes in <vbg>
No, you are using it correctly. Drives me crazy too. Except if you dig enough junk, it will find you some amazing stuff!

Wayne

Pleasant Garden, NC
AT Max, Nokta Impact, MX Sport, Nokta FORS Relic, GPX 4800, Infinium, Racer, Deus, F75SE, Nautilus DMC II (order of acquisition, last to first)

Does an archeologist argue with a plow? A bureaucrat with a bulldozer?
June 27, 2016 07:19PM
The depth gauge, if you can even call it that, on the Deus is a joke. I'm normally interested in deep targets, and much prefer the depth gauge on my Etrac.
June 27, 2016 08:17PM
The mighty Deus,,

Some folks will struggle with them,,I have too,,but have learned a few things while running.

First and foremost,,one needs to understand the ID system on Deus,,,and how reactvity, horse shoe meter, quality of tone, etc all come into play.

The Deus will give correct ID generally using lower reactvity say 0,1or 2.

Now some who get their units flip directly to Deus fast,,,and while it will get you some grand separation,,this unfortunately comes with a price.

To located and ID silver coins,,and to a point we must assume here silver coins will be generally deeper than clad-- keyword generally.

A few scenarios for understanding.

Let's say we are in Deus fast,,and we get a target,,,first a person needs to be familiar with true ID of coins (with this detector scratch the belief you can tell clad for silver same denomination coins).

So this is the easy part,,,but remember depending on target size, conducitivy, soil minerals, and conductivity of target,,,these all play on the ID the Deus displays on meter.

So some experience say in differ t minerals levels soil here could help.

Deus likes to up average on smaller targets and deeper targets,,,and when iron and nails are involved down average.

So recognizing ferrous quantities in a site you are hunting is very beneficial.

Let's talk about targets not colocated with iron or nails.

When you get your tone,,,how does it sound??? Whole and round sounding,,smooth on the edges.

How much horseshoe shading???

Now remember 18khz is the top separator and unmasked freq while using the Deus.

Lower freqs will in fact detect coins,, and these lower freqs will not pick up say 22 shells,,smallest can slaw as easily.

So using say 8khz,,I recommend this for a beginner to look for coins.

When tone is acquired how steady is the meter,,and how much horse shoe.

If you see a steady meter reading possible true ID of a coin,,,but the meter shows just a sliver,,,,,probably not a coin,,,moreso chance of smaller than coin junk target.

But if you see the sliver of horseshoe and at the same time a 90's reading in the meter,,,,good sign of a deeper coin sized target--- remember no absolutes it is a coin.

A person should also consider walking around their target and while doing so,,monitor the meter ID,,,does it stay steady,,or move around.

There will be a few instances where when a target,,even a good coin is detected,,,the Deus will get hung in what I call no man's land...What does this mean?
Take a nickel,,, in 12 kHz I beleive they read approx 56 on the meter,, it is possible for a person to sweep a nickel say a 7" nickel,,and it Amy read say 69.
You see normally once the Deus can't ID correctly it is programmed to run the ID of such targets into the 90s range on the meter and deliver tone assigned to that block of ID.

In these cases,,if one is hunting you have to take your chances either way,, to dig or not.

Monitoring the congruence of horse shading and meter reading are keys.

Lifting coils slightly can also flush out small burdensome targets like smaller can slaw--- again no absolutes

A person can also after detecting a target,,,to actually lower reactvity setting and resweeps to see if a true or more true TID will display.

Using pinpoint function here too when used in conjunction with the other things I've talked about might help at times.

Now hunting targets in nail pits,,,I actually tried to cherry pick in a terrible site iron wise just a couple weeks ago.
I was very satisfied with my results.

All targets detected giving less than ideal coin meter readings with a lot of horse shading were immediately discounted (I figured they were shallow junk).
Mostly besides watching for true TID while running 18khz,,all targets.I would walk around while sweeping.
If I saw ever a target where meter readings would ever hit 78 I would dig.
Now if I saw a nickel TID or very close I would dig also-- btw it did net me one bufflalo by doing,,and a tab.

Deep targets with Deus,,,keep your GB correct,,keep your sens at or above 93,, at least TX power 2.
And remember generally as you lower reactivity from say 2,, the tones on targets will get a bit louder- easier to hear.
And can in affect make the Deus seem like it is deeper.

But reactivity levels 0 and 1 are generally deeper than 2,,, but a person's soil needs to allow the lower reactvity settings to be run. In higher mineral soil running lower reactvity settings a slower sweep speed most times is mandated.

Silencer--- as far as I am concerned,,,put it at -1 and leave it there--- you will see where some folks especially in the northeast USA,,even running quite a bit of silencer they get some pretty good depth,,but I'll stick with what I have said here about it.

A person will no doubt get some tone on deeper targets,,good sounding,,sliver of horseshoe showing and low and behold when you dig down = iron.
Don't worry,,,I have done it with every detector I have ever ran,,including the etrac and CTX.

Iron falses can confuse some folks,,especially running in more conventional settings of disc and using say 2,3or 4 tones for example,,,I find the full tones to sniff these out more easily.

Using notch,,,this will definitely help a person out with Deus,,it does have its shortcomings though,,similar to other detectors.

But the Deus is quick,,and its tone can report very fast.
If a person will listen closely you will hear the Deus actually providing tone on 2 colocated nonferrous targets-- and an average TID will be provided on the meter.
And a person can play the odds depending on this meter reading and dig and make some finds.
The notch setting can also be used to make the Deus actually give a true solo tone for a high conductor colocated with a lower conductor-- not on all but some.

I have recently posted a few posts about this if one wants to review.

Deus strengths overall,,truthfully is in a dig all nonferrous.
Can be used to cherry pick though,,,not its strongest suit IMO.
Can be used to bust sites loaded with iron and nails,,and many good finds will not provided a true ID-- but consider the fact some other detectors won't give you no clues whatsoever the nonferrous targets even exist,

A Deus user chasing behind a skilled Etrac or CTX user in clean ground looking for silver coins,,,will it pay off??? Doubtful
Nickels though can be a whole different scenario,,,Deus when 12khz is hot on nickels,,and even some folks running Etrac and CTX,,may have the nickel window notch out,,,or considering the etrac,,nickels don't give the mighty squalling tone silver coins do,,,so they get missed more.

11" coil is generally 1-2" deeper than 9" coil,,,but higher mineral,,this difference could be less.

If I were a dedicated silver coin Hunter with Deus,,,I would likely opt for 11" coil, stay in 4or 8 kHz,,with some high sens and -1 on the silencer and roll on.

A Deus user will IMO generally be more successful,,if they will have their detector set up for the situation/site at hand.

Clean ground, moderately clean ground,,sites full of nails and iron, sites loaded with things like tabs, etc,,super high mineral dirt, real mild soil---- consider your situation at hand.

Also remember Deus doesn't like lower conductors as much using 4 or 8khz-- nickels, etc

Deeper dimes though can be heard using the higher freqs.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 07/17/2016 08:17PM by tnsharpshooter.
June 27, 2016 10:05PM
master_cat Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> i had a ctx 3030 some one stole it so i got a deus
> i just can not get my head around this thing i
> mostly dig junk and zinc pennys havent found a
> silver since iv gotten it maby im just not using
> it right

Problem is you got a CTX before the Deus.

Allthough the CTX is Minelabs top dog, it is actually quite easy to run, simply because it tracks ground very well.
The Deus on the other hand needs constant ground balancing if you want the ID to be of any use.

I'd recommend an X-terra 705 if you want a good comprimise between fast and decent ID. It has great ground tracking as well.
Once you get accustomed to the ground your running in, you can switch off tracking and go manual. It will tell you when it needs rebalancing.
Then it will pull targets from depths that will amaze you.

I had several Deus machines and allthough they are a phenomenal relic hunter,... can't touch a minelab when coins are concerned.

Don't be fooled by the simple looks off the X-terra 705. It needs time to thoroughly learn it,... then you stick on another coil.
And learning starts again :-)

That is where the Deus is overcomplicated,... too many variables for the same physical shape of coil. Changing a variable doesn't give enough perceived
difference in detecting performance. Either people get frustrated about it. Or they tend to stick to something that works.
But it will keep you guessing about your settings.

I'd rather go detecting and switch a physical coil/software combo, which my brain and muscle memory can get accustomed to.

HH
Johnb
June 28, 2016 04:35AM
ncwayne Wrote:
> short answer before TNSS chimes in
> No, you are using it correctly. Drives me crazy
> too. Except if you dig enough junk, it will find
> you some amazing stuff!
>
> Wayne

I had same problem so got rid of mine. If I wanted to dig more junk I would just turn down the disc on my Fisher 1265 and do the same as the Deus. They both have about the same depth in my ground and test garden.
July 17, 2016 12:37PM
scoopjohnb Wrote:
> master_cat Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > i had a ctx 3030 some one stole it so i got a
> deus
> > i just can not get my head around this thing i
> > mostly dig junk and zinc pennys havent found a
> > silver since iv gotten it maby im just not
> using
> > it right
>
> Problem is you got a CTX before the Deus.
>
> Allthough the CTX is Minelabs top dog, it is
> actually quite easy to run, simply because it
> tracks ground very well.
> The Deus on the other hand needs constant ground
> balancing if you want the ID to be of any use.
>
> I'd recommend an X-terra 705 if you want a good
> comprimise between fast and decent ID. It has
> great ground tracking as well.
> Once you get accustomed to the ground your running
> in, you can switch off tracking and go manual. It
> will tell you when it needs rebalancing.
> Then it will pull targets from depths that will
> amaze you.
>
> I had several Deus machines and allthough they are
> a phenomenal relic hunter,... can't touch a
> minelab when coins are concerned.
>
> Don't be fooled by the simple looks off the
> X-terra 705. It needs time to thoroughly learn
> it,... then you stick on another coil.
> And learning starts again :-)
>
> That is where the Deus is overcomplicated,... too
> many variables for the same physical shape of
> coil. Changing a variable doesn't give enough
> perceived
> difference in detecting performance. Either people
> get frustrated about it. Or they tend to stick to
> something that works.
> But it will keep you guessing about your
> settings.
>
> I'd rather go detecting and switch a physical
> coil/software combo, which my brain and muscle
> memory can get accustomed to.,

The Deus is an incredible Coin machine and they are Extremely hot on finding Hammered coins in Severe Iron filled Sites, On one Demo day they had the had it hitting 17" coins and had folks bring their machines and coins to seen if anything could beat it, Personally I would not have one Due to the coil cost etc, and there is something that I just don't like about but others Love em and in the in the right hands they will smoke anything that is out there, But not for me.
July 17, 2016 04:27PM
The Deus is the second best dirt detector I have ever used. What was first? The CTX. But shoulder issues makes me throb all night after I hunted with it. Stick with the installed programs until you get the hang of it.
July 17, 2016 08:09PM
Lots of GOOD comments from TNSS...

I would only add to try running it a bit subdued - 80 to 85 sensitivity until you learn its language. For me it was information overload at the start..sounded like a henhouse full of dying chickens.

I'm generally using it in sand and am now able to run it at 99 sensitivity, only occasionally dropping to 90. LOVING the machine since 2011!
Joe
July 17, 2016 09:27PM
DEUS and CTX are different animals..

The CTX is a modern trash hunter Phenom..and the DEUS is an old site dissector when sifting through iron looking for non ferrous intermingled in ferrous Phenom.

The Id system on the DEUS is poor in terms of accuracy on trash from treasure in the the coin ranges especially..Its good and calling ferrous from non ferrous but not say pulltabs from dimes..

The main DNA of the DEUS is co locate in iron...Not a Visual I.D. report..

The CTX is opposite its very accurate in the pulltabs Vs dimes etc...Thats its DNA I.D accuracy ..

FBS Vs VLF ..the DEUS will see deep but it will report things back to the user that are deep not very accurately..like a 10 inch dime might just read as a good tone but show a 98 I.D..

a CTX will report a 10 inch dime as a dime and show close to or even exact I.D.

Now the DEUS can see stuff intermingled in iron better than the CTX especially on low conductors ...But its usually in terms of just if its iron or not..

DEUS runs best on 18Khz...no denying that.. it feels right at that freq..Although I've often thought the coil was wound at 12Khz and it may be..the whole unit works the best on 18Khz..The reactivity and silencer etc feel responsive and more accurate when set to aggressive settings on the 18Khz..

When I run a DEUS its on 18Khz only..If I pull it off 18Khz There's better machines out there for that aim the 12 or 8khz aims for....The 18Khz is the what the whole DNA of the unit is built around..and it shows..it's a Site machine..pure and simple with added features to get U.S sales ..

If you are going to solely run a DEUS on 8 khz ..in my opinion a omega 8000 is better on silver going head to head ..same freqs..

If your going to solely run a DEUS on 12khz ..get a F75 or the likes on 13khz..

18khz is not a the Silver freq..and as all high freq units they struggle with high conductors at depth..In real world hunts for years and years and side by side testing a unit on like 17 or 18 Khz will struggle with a object the size of a half dollar. or bigger a depth...where you can take a lower freq unit like a whites Classic 3 or Omega or any other lower freq unit to be an example..and it will jump all over a higher conductor at depth quarter size and bigger.. .

the only High freq unit I ever seen dig deep silver consistently was a Troy X5...foot deep dimes and quarters was the norm not the exception..BUT Troy did something to the circuit and it WORKED..

If your Just after Silver I think you could find a Silver Getter...

Although of your after old silver in old Iron laden sites the DEUS will do well...Or if you want to remove all Non ferrous from ferrous sites then a DEUS is very viable..

But if you're after Silver in other modern locales...and need to make it easier and not as much digging or Cant do as much digging I would look for a unit like a Older Explorer or Omega,or even a Etrac or Xterra 705 with Coil option.s if the moneys not an issue..

Horses for Courses ..

If you relic hunt the DEUS is great if you Coin Hunt the FBS is great..

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
July 18, 2016 09:46PM
Same here Goodmore.. The heavier machine just do not work for me..

Plus, I am working HEAVY iron/nail infested sites in my drowned towns.. and so far, no machine has even come close to sniffing out those old coins and artifacts from the iron as does the Deus.

It has a VERY steep curve though.. and to be fair, some people will probably never get the hang of it.. and that is okay too.. Just find a machine that does work for you.

But if you are persistent and do manage to get a handle on it, you will love it

Micheal
July 21, 2016 10:04AM
The Deus is like any other machine,you have too learn it and the more you put in the more you get out as the saying goes.The bottom line a detector it makes no odds what make it is is just a big expensive lump of plastic/alloy and electronic components inside,on its own it wont find you anything,its not a magical detector that finds the best coins/artifacts just by switching it on,that is still down to the skill of the operator and how he makes the machine function properly.

I use a full Deus setup,although i do carry the controller with me its always in a pocket in my jacket rather than being on the shaft,the Deus is mainly a audio detector and far far more reliable than reading the TID on the screen,you get to a point that nothing will show on the screen with a deeper target but the audio will still give a diggable signal.No one detector is perfect and will cover all detecting scenarios,but as a general all rounder the Deus is pretty good,and of course does have a few trump cards up its sleeve,like being totally wireless and a big bonus especially for me at the moment is the amazing lack of weight,as at the moment i am not upto Olympic gold medal status in weightlifting so the CTX3030 is out of the question,i am not knocking the CTX as it does have a very good following,its just not for me.

One machine that i have had for years and was possibly one of the 1st DFX machines here in the UK,its dated at 2001 and has many 1000s of hours on the clock and found me some amazing finds,and i am still learning new things about this machine.