Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

On another note, it's been too darn hot for dirt hunting

Posted by EPL II 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
On another note, it's been too darn hot for dirt hunting
July 02, 2016 12:09AM
This past week has been too darn hot for detectin'. Seems as I get older the more I enjoy the cooler weather. At the beginning of this week, the ground was like digging in packed gravel. So off to the woods I went. A little bit cooler under the trees but after a few hours I felt like an "injured animal crawling in the middle of the road" beaten by the heat and humidity. I made sure I drank plenty of water along with my Liqumins electrolyte stamina power pak. That revived me enough to drag myself "outta the road" lol. I am aware the human body can acclimate itself to the heat but I may be the exception to the rule. Maybe I just had a bought of heat exhaustion at the beginning of the week as I do feel much better. I suppose this post is part of a public service announcement as well as being mindful and careful in taking preventative care as we pursue our hobby.
Re: On another note, it's been too darn hot for dirt hunting
July 02, 2016 12:58AM
you guys south have it hard, I live in Maine and when it get into the 80's, I sit on my deck and say not tonite honey, I talk to my detectors smiling smiley, I can't imagine what you guys go thru, and this year it's been dry, you guys talk about cement dirt, this is the first year in 18 years of digging that I have experience it, you guys are hard
July 02, 2016 04:40AM
Yes it to hot in n.w Florida. 93-96 deg.with heat index from 106-116 deg.
Crack of daylight and dusk dark is only suitable times,five minutes during the day and ya start baking.
Like a butterball turkey the little temp.thing pops out,it ain't that little though..lol

------------"Cz's still bad to the bone".------------
Living on a big ass Astroid.
The woman that got my rib,I want it back.
July 02, 2016 04:51AM
Starting to cool off a little here in AZ. At least from a couple of weeks ago when it was 122 degrees. Now were only looking at 108 - 110 average for the next two months.
July 02, 2016 05:40AM
Tom Slick Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Starting to cool off a little here in AZ. At least
> from a couple of weeks ago when it was 122
> degrees. Now were only looking at 108 - 110
> average for the next two months.

Dry heat though,no problem...lol

------------"Cz's still bad to the bone".------------
Living on a big ass Astroid.
The woman that got my rib,I want it back.
July 02, 2016 01:59PM
You guys in the north have it harder. Our hot, humid weather, at it's worst, lasts about 3 months, but we can hunt straight thru our winters, for the most part. We, in NC, might get 3 or 4 days in a row at the most when the ground is frozen. And that's 2, 3, 4 inches deep at the most. Lots of our winter I can wear a medium weight shirt over a t shirt and be comfortable detecting. And our worst weather for detecting coincides with the worst conditions for detecting when the woods and fields are full and thick. When they are open and vegetation is minimal, we can hunt. You have to shovel and blow snow!

Maybe you should invite us north for the summer and we invite you south for the winter <g>.

Wayne

Caretaker Wrote:
> you guys south have it hard, I live in Maine and
> when it get into the 80's, I sit on my deck and
> say not tonite honey, I talk to my detectors smiling smiley, I
> can't imagine what you guys go thru, and this year
> it's been dry, you guys talk about cement dirt,
> this is the first year in 18 years of digging that
> I have experience it, you guys are hard

Pleasant Garden, NC
AT Max, Nokta Impact, MX Sport, Nokta FORS Relic, GPX 4800, Infinium, Racer, Deus, F75SE, Nautilus DMC II (order of acquisition, last to first)

Does an archeologist argue with a plow? A bureaucrat with a bulldozer?
July 02, 2016 02:04PM
supertraq Wrote:
> Tom Slick Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Starting to cool off a little here in AZ. At
> least
> > from a couple of weeks ago when it was 122
> > degrees. Now were only looking at 108 - 110
> > average for the next two months.
>
> Dry heat though,no problem...lol

Not so fast,,,,temps are usually a bit cooler in monsoon season,,,but this means humidity is higher,,,,so heat indexes skyrocket.
April, May, June,,August yep,,dry heat with low humidity,,July the one month that sticks out to me when in I lived in Tucson for 7 years.

And temps in Oct can be at 100 degrees,, but nice and low humidity.

Anyone planning a trip to Az,,to vacation or detect,,,,the last few days in June,,and first 3 weeks in July,,,,this is the time IMO to schedule around.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/02/2016 02:07PM by tnsharpshooter.
July 02, 2016 04:33PM
Mr Wayne,

Hunting mostly all through Winter? Now that is a dream and sounds exactly like my type of weather! Maybe I need to move down to NC, take it easy in the hot sweltering Summer heat and humidity and wait for Fall. I have extended family 25 miles West of Winston Salem and they are always hinting for me to relocate smiling smiley Thank you for the reminder of shoveling snow..... Don't get me wrong, I truly love the cooler weather but snow /snowblower I can definitely live without.

On another note, now that a storm front came through last night, the weather today is much cooler with less humidity. Perfect day indeed!!

ncwayne Wrote:
> You guys in the north have it harder. Our hot,
> humid weather, at it's worst, lasts about 3
> months, but we can hunt straight thru our winters,
> for the most part. We, in NC, might get 3 or 4
> days in a row at the most when the ground is
> frozen. And that's 2, 3, 4 inches deep at the
> most. Lots of our winter I can wear a medium
> weight shirt over a t shirt and be comfortable
> detecting. And our worst weather for detecting
> coincides with the worst conditions for detecting
> when the woods and fields are full and thick. When
> they are open and vegetation is minimal, we can
> hunt. You have to shovel and blow snow!
>
> Maybe you should invite us north for the summer
> and we invite you south for the winter .
>
> Wayne
>
> Caretaker Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > you guys south have it hard, I live in Maine
> and
> > when it get into the 80's, I sit on my deck and
> > say not tonite honey, I talk to my detectors smiling smiley,
> I
> > can't imagine what you guys go thru, and this
> year
> > it's been dry, you guys talk about cement dirt,
> > this is the first year in 18 years of digging
> that
> > I have experience it, you guys are hard
July 02, 2016 04:38PM
Folks like to make fun of us Arizonians for saying "it's a day heat" but at least we don't have to shovel it! grinning smiley
July 02, 2016 05:09PM
Never too hot to detect...

Can get too cold though..

already hit 100 and 102 while I've been hunting just in the last two weeks..

Just stay hydrated..

Get a camel pack...where a big hat too if your in the sun...

Worst I've ever experienced was years ago about 2000 or so..I was on the coast next to a swamp in late June....it was 105 that day and it was only like 11 am. and the humidity in that area was through the roof..
I had gotten away from my partner and I had no water..about 1/4 mile from the truck I thought we were..open field but untended for a couple of years so it was growing up we were parked in the woods...I had found a spot and was bearing down on it and it was PRODUCING...Beautiful Buttons eagle A's and eagle I's full of gold and nice big Gold patriotic button ..handfull of bullets and other Goodies..I was sweating buckets...and after awhile I stopped sweating..Then I got cold chills...and soon after I got disoriented ..Couldn't figure out what i was doing..I had a detector but I didn't Know what to do with it..The area I had found was off the edge of the field beside the swamp area..Sort of like a maze in the transition from field to woods sporadic bushes and tall grass..I was in a small clearing..and I did not Know which way to go..and I couldn't think Of my buddys name ..and I just couldnt walk no where..No cell phones then ...So I climbed under a palmetto bush..Just to get some shade

While I lay there my heart was beating so fast and so hard I figured I was IN TROUBLE..That's when My buddy just happened to come walking though ...I yelled as he come by HEY...

He looked over and said what's wrong...I said give me water..he had a canteen and I started chugging..I said I cant make ot to the truck ..He said heck its just right there,,in my meandering while hunting I had circled back around and sure enough I was right beside the truck maybe 50 yards..

Went to truck got in he drove to store and I got 2 32 ounce gatorades..Killed one before the cash register and the other before out of the lot...Started feelin good..got some food...and ore drink and said lets hit that spot again ...LOL...We dug it some more got some more goodies.

moved on to another site on and island till dark...

Motel that night about 2 am worst charlie horses I ever had..LOL..both legs same time....calf muscles ...OUCH!!!

Next morning down to walmart for canteen before the days hunt..

Never without water again...EVER..

STAY HYDRATED OR DIE!!!

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
July 02, 2016 05:21PM
just because you have water/are hydrated does not mean you are safe from sun stroke! You stop sweating and skin gets cool or clammy feeling, you better get out of the sun, PRONTO, preferably with someone in attendance just in case...

None of this stuff is worth dying over. You were lucky, Keith.

Wayne

Pleasant Garden, NC
AT Max, Nokta Impact, MX Sport, Nokta FORS Relic, GPX 4800, Infinium, Racer, Deus, F75SE, Nautilus DMC II (order of acquisition, last to first)

Does an archeologist argue with a plow? A bureaucrat with a bulldozer?
July 02, 2016 06:47PM
You were darn lucky Keith. I know this has nothing to do with being outside in the heat, but it has to do everything with staying hydrated....About 4-5 years ago, One day at work, one of my co-workers was sick as can be. Of course they spread it to everyone else in the building. I won't go into details, however I became extremely dehydrated to the point that I was walking back to my bed.....and that is all I remember. I woke up lying face-planted on the floor right next to my bed. (I experienced this twice that night) It was so wonderfully peaceful I thought for sure I was dead. I was however extremely disoriented and confused but no pain, sickness...very peaceful feeling. Sorta like the stories you hear from people that die on the operating table and then come back to life and share their story. Although I didn't see the "light" at the end of the tunnel lol Off to the hospital I go.....
Stayed all night and they kept on "feeding" bag after bag of electrolytes. Hospital staff couldn't believe the amount they had to pump in my system. I remember the nurse saying to me, "you are very lucky".

Something they told me at the hospital and later learned that sports figures are now drinking. [pedialyte.com] Yep, I couldn't believe what the hospital was telling me. I went home and for the next 4 days, I sipped on pedialyte. This stuff was phenomenal in helping me recover. Since then I have used it several times when I felt myself becoming dehydrated and quickly places me back in good standing. As I mention above I also now bring plenty of bottled water in a cooler with Liqumins electrolyte stamina power pak. This has been working extremely well for me. Water & electrolytes are key to staying hydrated. Water alone is ok and will certainly work but knowing we are out in the heat sweating our brains out, electrolytes are definitely needed.
July 02, 2016 08:17PM
Well,,,it can get so hot,,,that fluid intake will be outrun by sweating.

Body can actually process sweat faster than the fluid you drink.

When this happens,,,BIG trouble...

I have been exceptionally hot many times this year,,I am acclimated very well,,,but even saying all this--- there are limits to exposure.

Folks use care and caution,,,your body is trying to tell you something-- better listen to it.

And if a person becomes incapacitated and are not accompanied by someone else--- even BIGGER trouble.

Your noggin,,,keep that cool,,if it gets hot,, this is where the trouble begins.

Cheers and happy (cool) detecting.