Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

A Hound Dog, The FR and an Old 1850s Homestead grinning smiley

This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
A Hound Dog, The FR and an Old 1850s Homestead grinning smiley
July 02, 2016 01:36AM
Hey all,

73/74 degrees here in my neck of the woods today = OUTSTANDING day to grab the FR, take the hound out and go huntin/diggin an old homesite I found about a week ago out scouting thumbs down

Turned out to be a very good day to go diggin as it's been too long since I've had one like today and far too long since I've hit silver in the 1850s!

The site is to the right of the tree in the 1st pic of that plowed up mess of a field the farmer didn't plant this year for some reason. Nasty iron/nail infested site but the FR sliced right through it all and pulled me some goodies!

Worth mention:
1851 3 cent star (2nd one I've ever found)!
1868 2 center
1866 Injun
rusty old heart lock
old pocket knife
buckle of some sort
old broken spoon
doo dads/misc

HH and hope you'all are getting out too.

Re: A Hound Dog, The FR and an Old 1850s Homestead grinning smiley
July 02, 2016 01:50AM
Hey Wayne----been wondering where you were & what you was up to!smiling smiley-----Good digs----especially that 1851 3 center---REALLY like it.----------Del
July 02, 2016 02:19AM
Some very nice finds...

Congrats..
July 02, 2016 02:31AM
Nice 3 center hard to find!!!!

Congrats..

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
July 02, 2016 03:20AM
Don’t see many 3 cent coins being posted.

Congrats on the finds.

Detecting since Feb, 2010
E-trac with 18"x15" SEF, 13" Ultimate coil, Pro coil, Minelab 8" coil, 4.5"x7" SEF, Sunray target probe
CTX3030 with 17"x13" DD coil, 11" DD coil
July 02, 2016 09:08AM
Nice detail on the 2 cent, the couple I have found are pretty much toasted. 3 cent is still on my bucket list. A good site you have found, hope it give us some more goodies.

Tom

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
In a democracy, it is difficult to win fellow citizens over to your own side, or to build public support to remedy injustices that remain all too real when you fundamentally misunderstand how they see the world.
July 02, 2016 09:24AM
Three cent piece still on my bucket kist as well. Nice hunt.
July 02, 2016 12:42PM
outstanding hunt, Wayne. Your 2 center looks to have great detail if not scratched/pitted. You've found 2 centers before? I only have one of them but it's in great shape with outstanding detail.
I, too, have two of the 3 cent silvers. Always looking for that 3rd one. And nobody ever says anything about the nickel 3cp. Wonder why?

Great finds! Congrats.

Wayne

Pleasant Garden, NC
AT Max, Nokta Impact, MX Sport, Nokta FORS Relic, GPX 4800, Infinium, Racer, Deus, F75SE, Nautilus DMC II (order of acquisition, last to first)

Does an archeologist argue with a plow? A bureaucrat with a bulldozer?
July 02, 2016 03:18PM
Thanks guys thumbs down I was running the FR in 2 tone and the .03 center came in a slight buzzing high tone among the iron. The 1st one I ever found about 3 yrs ago was with my Deus and that one came in mid tone with numbers around 68/70

ncwayne

yes I've found .02 centers before (4 or 5 of them in total)

the .03 cent piece is my 2nd one ever.

3 cent nickels are hard ones too = I've only found 1 or 2 of those too (would have to look thru my collection) but I know 1 for sure and I think maybe 2.

They don't read very good to begin with (the .03 nickels) as they're small, have a mid-tone sound and when mixed in iron are very hard to hear (and most likely get dragged down into iron range when mixed in heavy iron) which would cause most guys to just skip right over them (including myself I'm sure).
July 02, 2016 03:35PM
Nice to see someone out and cleaning up

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
July 02, 2016 04:37PM
Sweet coin
July 02, 2016 05:29PM
MRH, was your tone break at 20 or elsewhere? You recall what TID the 3 center gave? (Curious about TID relative to tone break setting).

Wayne

Pleasant Garden, NC
AT Max, Nokta Impact, MX Sport, Nokta FORS Relic, GPX 4800, Infinium, Racer, Deus, F75SE, Nautilus DMC II (order of acquisition, last to first)

Does an archeologist argue with a plow? A bureaucrat with a bulldozer?
July 02, 2016 06:43PM
Congrats on your success ... and complements to you as well for having such comfortable weather! It's been way too hot around here for a few weeks now for me to enjoy getting out.

I've only had one 3¢ 'silver', an 1856, but have come across a few of the 'nickel' type 3¢ pieces. Also have found several 2¢'ers, but all of the nearby ghost towns we have to hunt when weather improves (cools down) date from about 1863 thru the '70s and '80s so there's a fair chance some more of those older 'keepers' might come my way yet this year.

Best of success on future jaunts afield.

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells Trading Post
Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
monte@ahrps.org ... or ... monte@stinkwaterwells.com
503-481-8147
Fisher-1, Makro-1, Minelab-1, Nokta-1, Tesoro-2, White's-1
Garrett MS-3 -- Killer B's 'Hornet' & 'Wasp'
Note: Detectors are listed alphabetically by Brand. Models are chosen based on search site conditions.
*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***
July 02, 2016 07:06PM
Fantastic day of hunting! Great weather too! Glad you were able to get out and make some great finds.
July 02, 2016 11:03PM
Thanks Lowboy, Datawave, Monte and EPL

Monte - would love to come out and hunt one of those ghost towns you'all hunt out that way some time thumbs down

ncwayne

I run my machine HOT = di2, 0 imask, 0 id mask, iron vol 3, sens 70 to 75, and tone break 11 to 13 depending on what the site will allow as to size of iron/nails but I never really look at the screen for # readouts with the FR

basically I use it as a beep/dig machine but with 2 tones - low = ignore and high = dig

this is pushing the machine right to it's limits though - some may not be able to run it this hot and some may opt not to because it's just too much and they then become discouraged/frustrated.
July 03, 2016 01:52PM
Congratulations on some real nice finds but what amazes me more is your knack for finding those new and seem to be virgin sites to hunt. That is some great research.

El
July 08, 2016 12:51AM
Elbert Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Congratulations on some real nice finds but what
> amazes me more is your knack for finding those new
> and seem to be virgin sites to hunt. That is some
> great research.
>
> El

Thanks Elbert

it takes a LOT of work and driving around about 4 or 5 counties of my state to consistently come up with new/good sites to hunt but I do have a slight edge on many of these guys around here as I was somewhat trained in how to read landscapes/terrain when I was younger.

I have/had a buddy I used to go diggin with way back in the late 80s/early 90s who's dad was an archaeologist/professor at U of M here in Michigan and he used to take us on dig sites and show us how to read the land/what to look for, etc. in finding ancient riverbeds, old indian settlements, old homesites, etc. and so I have a knack for seeing things as I drive thru the countryside that many others just pass by because they don't see anything on a map or whatever.

Things weren't always "mapped out" and/or there are many sites that can be found by just knowing what you're looking for/looking at. thumbs down

The BEST site I ever dug with my buddy and his dad (under controlled conditions as an archeological dig) was at a place called "skull island" in Bay city MI = an island in the middle of the Saginaw river that was the place of a massacre of Injuns (the Socks) by 3 or 4 tribes of other Injuns who hunted them down and exterminated them on that island (the entire tribe except 12 families that were sent west of the Mississippi) afterwards.

The main village of the Socks was situated on the west bank of the Saginaw River, below where Mr. Frank Fitzhugh now resides and opposite the mill of Mr. N. B. Bradley (1865).

The Socks were always at war with the neighboring tribes. At last a council was held, consisting of the Chippewas, Pottawatomies, Otowas, and the Six Nations of Canada and New York, at which it was determined to exterminate the Socks.

We dug injun pottery, bones, skulls, arrowheads, etc. etc. It was a learning experience I'll never forget and cool to see that stuff come to light for sure thumbs down
July 08, 2016 01:51AM
Sweet story MRH!. That knowledge is worth a lot, big time.....I'd pay for that knowledge.
July 08, 2016 01:51AM
MRH,
Any general tips for reading the land, etc that might help and not give away all your secrets?
July 08, 2016 03:38AM
Great story Wayne. Love it.

I learned something on a search for an old 1850's school location. The name of the school and the road it was located on have the same name. The road which is in the mountains and is cattle grazing land and is about 15 miles long. I can't remember how many times I traveled this road looking for a trace of the school with no luck. Just rolling hills with grass.

Then on one trip I noticed a large area of brush. There was some of the same type of brush scattered on the hill side but in small quantities, maybe 1 or 2.

So out of my truck I go to investigate and there in the mist of all bush was scattered redwood boards and square nails laying around.

So I surmised that the iron from the square nails fertilized the area for the growth of the brush just as applying iron to your lawn to help it green.

El