Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Why didn't they make it a "stock" coil????

Posted by D&P-OR 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Why didn't they make it a "stock" coil????
July 02, 2016 11:32AM
Seems to me that Makro should have made the 5X10" DD a stock coil instead of the 7X11" DD on both the Red Racer & Racer 2.-----That 11" coil throws the Racers balance off & I don't think it performs as well in even medium trash.----Yeah, the 11" gets a tad bit more depth--but.....I think the 5X10 & small coil would make an excellent Pro Pack.---Or at least give you the option of choosing either a 11" or 5X10.-----In any case----the 5X10 & small coil are my favorite coils on the Racers.---Anybody else feel the same way?------Del
Re: Why didn't they make it a "stock" coil????
July 02, 2016 11:50AM
If my memory serves me correctly,,,it was the 5x10 coil,,,that was originally going to be sold with Racer 1,,,this according to Dilek.

But when this was announced,,,folks here mostly complained,,and wanted a larger coil for stock coil-- like most other manufacturers offer.

So the rest is history.

The information I posted above,,,I may have my wires crossed..
See this link.

Seems maybe the 5x10 was at one time included,,in pro pack but was changed.

[www.dankowskidetectors.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/02/2016 12:02PM by tnsharpshooter.
July 02, 2016 12:32PM
yep, wires crossed. It was the 7x11 (stock) coil and the 5x10 in the pro pack originally. The 5x10 was pulled and replaced by the 4.5x5 (OOR) coil (at the insistence of those on this forum and other forums, I suppose).

Wayne

Pleasant Garden, NC
AT Max, Nokta Impact, MX Sport, Nokta FORS Relic, GPX 4800, Infinium, Racer, Deus, F75SE, Nautilus DMC II (order of acquisition, last to first)

Does an archeologist argue with a plow? A bureaucrat with a bulldozer?
July 02, 2016 01:23PM
I have four coils for my Racer 2. The stock coil is the one I have never used. I figure it has it's purpose in fields or places with low trash. I just picked up the NEL Tornado coil for the beach. Two things I noticed right away about this coil. One: The supplied coil bolt is worthless. It doesn't get tight enough to keep the coil from flopping. Two: The large coil pulls in EMI like crazy. I got it for the beach so I'm not worried. But hunting around town in the old districts is not going to happen. The 5 x 10 is my favorite coil. It's been the one mounted on my detector 75% of the time with the little puck coil doing the rest of the hunting.
July 02, 2016 02:16PM
D&P-OR
Seems to me that Makro should have made the 5X10" DD a stock coil instead of the 7X11" DD on both the Red Racer & Racer 2.-----That 11" coil throws the Racers balance off & I don't think it performs as well in even medium trash.----Yeah, the 11" gets a tad bit more depth--but.....I think the 5X10 & small coil would make an excellent Pro Pack.---Or at least give you the option of choosing either a 11" or 5X10.

In any case----the 5X10 & small coil are my favorite coils on the Racers.---Anybody else feel the same way?------Del
Del, the initial Racer came with the 7X11 DD and the proposed 'Pro Pack' had the 5½X10 DD but they changed that to the 4.7X5.2 DD (the one I called an 'OOR' coil) in place of the 5½X10. That was a very good move, in my opinion, because there is a lot more need and application for the smaller-size search coils ('OOR' or 5½" round), and on the original Racer I didn't care for the 7X11 design anyway and used my FORS CoRe instead when I worked a wide-open, sparse-target location.

I need to replace the 5½X10 Racer DD coil because the original one I had supplied to me had the breaking ear issue and didn't last more than a month from when I got it in February of last year. All I currently use on my Racer 2's are the 'OOR' or 5½" round most often because I work very trashy areas, or the 7X11 from time-to-time in more open parks or sports fields. I do have one of my FORS Relic's equipped with the 5½X10 Concentric that I use in modest trashy sites or where nails are the only real ferrous annoyance, but the 5½" DD coil still gets the most use on a Relic and the 5½X10 Concentric is second-most grabbed when litter is reduced and more spread out.

I do have a few friends who use the 5½X10 DD coil at least 50% to maybe 75% of the time on their Racer or Racer 2 and enjoy it, but opt for the smaller coils when they get into more densely litters places.

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells Trading Post
Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
monte@ahrps.org ... or ... monte@stinkwaterwells.com
503-481-8147
Fisher-1, Makro-1, Minelab-1, Nokta-1, Tesoro-2, White's-1
Garrett MS-3 -- Killer B's 'Hornet' & 'Wasp'
Note: Detectors are listed alphabetically by Brand. Models are chosen based on search site conditions.
*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***
July 02, 2016 02:19PM
What kind of depth on coins size targets are you guys getting with the 5 x 10" coil? I want to try something between the 5" and 11" that I have for my Racer 1. Thanks, HH jim tn
July 02, 2016 03:47PM
I used the 7x11 this past week on the beach and it felt so off I preferred to go back to the 5x10 or just use my ET. It does throw the balance off with the S rod. The ORR now only comes off if I am hunting a tot lot and then out comes the 5x10. If I need a large coil I just go back to the ET because IMHO it is a large coil machine.
July 02, 2016 05:01PM
D&P - I agree with you 95%. I prefer the 7 x11" coil for the beach dry sand for the extra coverage. I think that if Makro had used the 5 x10" coil as standard, they wouldn't have sold as many accessory coils. I've always had a number of coils for each of my detectors but almost exclusively used a large coil for coverage or depth and a small coil for trashy areas. The 5 x10" Racer coil gets way more use than any other mid sized coil I've ever had for any of my other detectors. In the past, mid sized coils were just a poor compromise so I didn't use them much. I wanted depth, coverage, or separation and the mid size wasn't the best at any of them. The Racer with the 5 x10" has changed my way of thinking (half full or half empty). I now see the 5 x10" as a great compromise, capable of near OOR separation and near 7 x11" depth and coverage. I can't explain it any better than that, just that I use it quite a bit. My Racer coils now include the 7 x11" (old and new configurations), 5 x10" (old & new), 5.5" round, 4.7 x 5.2" OOR, Cors Shrew 3.5 x 6.5".
July 02, 2016 11:16PM
Same goes for the Fors Relic

they shoulda made the 5x10 and small 5" standard issue instead of 11" and 5"

I've been trying to find a 5x10 DD for my FR but they're "pre orders" everywhere I look and I really REALLY don't want to wait weeks and weeks for a coil thumbs up
July 03, 2016 02:33AM
Amazing - it just goes to show when a company takes time out to put a package together they still cannot satisfy everyone -

I find it great that you can easily buy the 5 x 10 coil from the same place that you buy the metal detector from -

Makro/Nokta Sales & Service - are as good as it gets
July 03, 2016 04:02AM
MichiganRelicHunter,

How hard is it to get the 10x5 for the Fors Gold +? Are they a pre order item? They are compatible with the Relic- both are 19kHz. Same coil.

Dean
July 04, 2016 09:18AM