Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

looking for thoughts on a new pp?

Posted by farmerboy856 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
looking for thoughts on a new pp?
July 16, 2016 06:51PM
I have the original garrett pp and the pp 2 along with a trx my favorite is the pp2 by garrett. Any thoughts on the carrot or other brands? I like to have a few around in case one is forgotten broken or we gain an extra hunter not much worse than sharing a pp lol! Anyways when I place my order for my tesoro was going to snag a pp at same time. Thanks!
Re: looking for thoughts on a new pp?
July 16, 2016 07:24PM
I love the depth of the TRX and won't use anything else. That's right. A Whites product I actually recommend.
July 16, 2016 08:22PM
I'm having very good luck with the 'Carrott' and depend on it loads.
Once you RTFM it's very easy to use.
If you don't RTFM it isn't.

Usually with waterproof probes after several full immersions they can lose their audio and sound 'squeaky & strangled', but not with the 'Carrott'.
It's good, above average and IMHO gets a 10 out of 10

I haven't used the TRX but have used many others and I like this one the best.

My 2c worth

Des D
July 16, 2016 08:27PM
I have the orange Garrett, and the original black Garrett. I'm not a fan of the orange one, while their idea to use a single button to program the settings is clever (and yes it's simple if you RTFM), it's also, IMHO, it's weakness. Cannot tell you how many times that it's gone into "program" mode accidentally. Also the lag time when powering on and off is a PITA. I like the black one just fine, instant on/off, nothing to get screwed up program wise, and it just flat works.

I guess I like the KISS deployment tactic for my pin-pointers.
July 16, 2016 08:27PM
Well there are 2 of us,... bought a TRX and haven't looked back.

In fact the thing instills so much confidence in the brand, that it's a real shame they messed up "Thé Other Launch".

But maybe,... time permitting I need to try some other flag ship of theirs.

HH
Johnb
July 16, 2016 08:30PM
I have one of the original Garrett pro pointers,,it still a kicking.
Like it overall.

Have a Makro,,,like everything about it but the buttons for off and on.

Have a Trx,,,like everything about it but tone vol too low-- hard to head with headphones on compared to my others.

I hear the Garrett carrot,,might have some leak issues,,might want to look around.
July 16, 2016 11:56PM
Thank for all the pointers!
July 17, 2016 02:52AM
I hear that Deus is coming out with something very different

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
July 17, 2016 03:56AM
Lawrenzo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I hear that Deus is coming out with something very
> different

This pointer Lowboy,,,who knows,,,a person may be able to take it,,,wear the wireless phones,,,and literally sit in an iron pit and sift out some good targets.
Or tape it to a stick and hunt,,,,lol.

Time will tell though.

Pricing will also be interesting to see.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/17/2016 03:59AM by tnsharpshooter.
July 17, 2016 04:14AM
Mars MD is coming out with some new PP....if you google it you can see what they look like....might try those next. I have my original Garrett PP and the newer Garrett PP2.....both seem to fail fairly fast....the button gives out and ya have to hit the button numerous times to get it to turn on. At least the newer one eliminated the falsing the older Garrett PP's had. The TRX for a PP seems overly complicated.......bad enough trying to GB a detector, really don't need a PP that is even more complicated. I agree with Cal-Cobra....just need a simple on/off PP that works. Farmerboy, let us know how your search goes and what you ended up going with.
July 17, 2016 04:58AM
Love the -

X-Pointer
Nokta Pointer

Getting in -

GPoint GP-Pointer to test

wont touch the more reputable brands

[www.earthscan.co.nz]
July 17, 2016 06:25AM
Oregongregg Wrote:
> Mars MD is coming out with some new PP....if you
> google it you can see what they look like....might
> try those next. I have my original Garrett PP and
> the newer Garrett PP2.....both seem to fail fairly
> fast....the button gives out and ya have to hit
> the button numerous times to get it to turn on. At
> least the newer one eliminated the falsing the
> older Garrett PP's had. The TRX for a PP seems
> overly complicated.......bad enough trying to GB a
> detector, really don't need a PP that is even more
> complicated. I agree with Cal-Cobra....just need a
> simple on/off PP that works. Farmerboy, let us
> know how your search goes and what you ended up
> going with.

Marsmd has had a pinpointer out for over two years now, is this the one you are talking about, or do you mean they have another one coming out?
July 17, 2016 10:25AM
Have used the Minelab Profind, Nokta RS, Deteknic XPOINTER, Whites TRX and the Garrett Carrot. The Garrett has become my favourite of the lot, reliable, loud and very easy to use,and no issues washing the mud of it at the end of the day. The TRX was a favourite, though the vibration motor sounds like it's on the way out, and the audio is quite poor when put up against the Garrett units. The LED light on the TRX is also inadequate compared to the competition (especially if you dabble in night detecting)

Also take into account that the TRX only detects via the tip, whereas the Garretts will also detect along the length of the pointer shaft, as well as the tip.

Yes the TRX is a powerful beast, and very sensitive, but in the real world the higher sensitivity settings are too prone to falsing to be of any worth.

My TRX was one of the earlier ones, and there is a question mark over how prone it is to water ingress over the newer stock, might have something to do with the vibe motor starting to sound quite sick, not really sure yet.

Might also pay to check out the Deteknix Wader and Lithium powered wader, they offer pretty comprehensive feature for a lot less money than the Garrett AT Pointer and PP2. Being PI they will not be prone to falsing off mineralisation, the downside is that they can interfere with some detectors if too close to the coil, and they can chew through the power vs VLF pinpointers. The Carrot can be picked up by my Deus if close to the coil, though not nearly as bad as my Minelab ProFind or X-Pointer.
July 17, 2016 07:36PM
Spaceport Wrote:
> Oregongregg Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Mars MD is coming out with some new PP....if
> you
> > google it you can see what they look
> like....might
> > try those next. I have my original Garrett PP
> and
> > the newer Garrett PP2.....both seem to fail
> fairly
> > fast....the button gives out and ya have to hit
> > the button numerous times to get it to turn on.
> At
> > least the newer one eliminated the falsing the
> > older Garrett PP's had. The TRX for a PP seems
> > overly complicated.......bad enough trying to GB
> a
> > detector, really don't need a PP that is even
> more
> > complicated. I agree with Cal-Cobra....just need
> a
> > simple on/off PP that works. Farmerboy, let us
> > know how your search goes and what you ended up
> > going with.
>
>
> Marsmd has had a pinpointer out for over two years
> now, is this the one you are talking about, or do
> you mean they have another one coming out?

Heck maybe it has been out several years. I always seem to behind the times....sometimes, anyhow here is a link to the ones I was referring to : [en.marsmd.com]
July 17, 2016 08:52PM
I've tried a lot of pinpointers..

I stick with the Sherlock if I need a pinpointer

Cheap and easy to fix...and is the most sensitive to the tiny stuff the high gain detectors hit on that some pinpointers wont hit on..the Sherlock loves tiny little small stuff..

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
July 19, 2016 01:59AM
What's a sherlock?
July 19, 2016 05:18AM
I have always used the older Bullseye II for a couple of reasons 1) it has the highest frequency most of them at 36 kHz, and 2) I noticed that so many people have troubles with them cross talking with their detectors, at the BE II will work within a foot of the coil of my MXT,

Back a year or so I asked whites if the TRX would be ok with the MXT because the TRX's frequency is close to what the MXT runs at an d the Answer was NO It Will Not Cross Talk with the MXT, But Guess what It Does, I have seen so many Videos on YT of it doing that and still I get told NO it Don't.

In my view the BE II is a better pin pointer because not only does it behave with my MXT and my GMT, It can see bits of lead down to less than 0.03 grams at about 1/4" which is about 0.6 grains, I do not see the point of having a pin pointer being able to see Items at 4 to 5 inches, The detector is for finding them and the pin pointer is for honing in on them, the BE II has a 100% variable power/Gain control so it has many other uses from finding screw heads in Gyproc walls to locating wires in walls, being able to fine tune like that really is a bonus, The only down side is the bulk of it Really it is a shame they never fitted it in to the TRX housing,

I would rather have a PP that did not upset my detector and have that sensitivity than any of the others, I saw the TRX set off the MX-Sport at 4 to 5 feet in a Video on YT,

John
July 19, 2016 05:52AM
I'm deaf in my left ear and can't hear out of my right ear and the carrot by garrot is not loud enough. Also the vibration is weak for my hands.
My old Tiny Tek is still kick'in and works best for me,that things gotta be 25 yrs old.
Adjustable sensitivity is cool.

------------"Cz's still bad to the bone".------------
Living on a big ass Astroid.
The woman that got my rib,I want it back.
July 19, 2016 09:20AM
Using the Deteknix Pin Pointer " for about 2 years now, & am pleased.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/19/2016 09:30AM by Esteban.
July 20, 2016 02:16PM
Main probe i use is the original black Garrett PP and its never let me down,as a backup the Bullseye 11,best one of all is my DX-1 inline probe that i use on my DFX of course its tethered too that one specific machine all the time but you hear exactly what you are pinpointing through your headphones.

Someone has mentioned the old Sherlock probe,that is going back a few years and yes i still have mine,also they had them on other brand names as well but although very primitave to look at they did work rather well.
July 20, 2016 02:43PM
I'm thinking about adding one of these to the Kit, But with a name like Vibra probe they sound like an Adult late night Accessory grinning smileygrinning smileygrinning smiley ooops did I say that out Loud, >grinning smiley<

This is what Keith needs in that Hot Ground of his.

[www.seriousdetecting.com]

Or one of these

BUT ?? if you look here they have them all,

John

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/20/2016 02:51PM by auminesweeper.