Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Design by Default,

Posted by auminesweeper 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Design by Default,
July 27, 2016 02:57PM
I have been working on getting my self at a better level of fitness due to need more than want,

I think Whites has made some ground breaking machines that are still a force to be reckoned with today, But I can't take push pads and menus seriously, In a 4x4 I want a Transfer Case and a Lever that meshes Cogs together with a loud Clunk not a button on the dash board, And I feel the same about detectors, I want to turn a knob and flick a switch and Get on with the Job, and Every Whites Gold related Machines from the MXT to the GMT and the TDI SL and the TDI Pro are as Good as a Machine can be for use in Rough environments, anything else is a Toy or a DIY unit in comparison, Machines made for other areas of the hobby do complete the picture and serve their owners well, But the prospecting / Relic machines should keep their Proven time tested Design and if a machine is too heavy for the user then how are they going to cope digging through 2 feet of hard pack., And if it is too Heavy then maybe they should not be out there in the first place because mother nature has her own rules.

People complaining that a machine is too heavy is crazy because maybe a person needs to pick A machine that is more suited to suit their Age, Fitness and overall Health condition, Because if a 4 pound machine is too much to bare then what is a 5 pound pick bouncing off hard pack going to do for them, A 2 or 3 pound machine might be nice to swing for hours but when you find A Good Target if you can't swing a pick or dig down deep enough to get to it then the whole thing is Pointless.

There come a time when some folks have to except that our bullet proof years have all but gone and we have to adapt to suit our goals but this Hobby still needs the Tough Solid machines such as the black box models that have Held the Competition at Bay for so many years, My self I have found that I have had to work on my Diet in order to allow myself to do things that I did 10 years ago, Thats Nature but if I want to keep using and doing the things I did back then, Then I have to adjust to keep up with my Goals,

John.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/27/2016 03:01PM by auminesweeper.
Re: Design by Default,
July 27, 2016 03:18PM
Indeed whatever works.. Lay off the beer and buffalo wings .....I find a walking program in the winter months helps also...
July 27, 2016 03:25PM
Dan-Pa. Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Indeed whatever works.. Lay off the beer and
> buffalo wings .....I find a walking program in the
> winter months helps also...

I agree, A month ago I looked in the Mirror and I looked like Twins with One Head grinning smileygrinning smileydrinking smiley

John.
July 27, 2016 03:33PM
Heavy is just that heavy

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
July 27, 2016 03:39PM
Lawrenzo Wrote:
> Heavy is just that heavy

Yeah, I was getting that way, I lost about 10 pounds so far this month, But I'm not over weight I am just trying to lighten the load to make detecting more enjoyable.

John
July 27, 2016 03:43PM
Some of my favorite metal detectors are what some say are heavy, like my 5900 CB and Toltec 100 both of them weigh around 5 pounds each. I'm 64 years young, work out 3 times a week and stay fit, so the analog machines with knobs and switches suite me just fine. The digital machines just do not have the true descriptive audio like the great analog machines produce. If it sounds good, it gets dug...........
July 27, 2016 03:44PM
auminesweeper Wrote:
> Lawrenzo Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Heavy is just that heavy
>
> Yeah, I was getting that way, I lost about 10
> pounds so far this month, But I'm not over weight
> I am just trying to lighten the load to make
> detecting more enjoyable.
>
> John

Think he was talking about detector weight (not body weight). smiling smiley
July 27, 2016 03:50PM
D&P-OR Wrote:
> auminesweeper Wrote:
> -----
> > Lawrenzo Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > Heavy is just that heavy
> >
> > Yeah, I was getting that way, I lost about 10
> > pounds so far this month, But I'm not over
> weight
> > I am just trying to lighten the load to make
> > detecting more enjoyable.
> >
> > John
>
> Think he was talking about detector weight (not
> body weight). smiling smiley

Well I thought about that too, by working out with weights that weigh a pound or too heavier than my machines, I am not talking about going over the top just about keeping things tune up while I can,

John.
July 27, 2016 03:57PM
The eighties just called and they want their cell phone back....

July 27, 2016 04:03PM
Cal_cobra Wrote:
> The eighties just called and they want their cell
> phone back....
>
> [1.bp.blogspot.com]
> AAAAAAAAAK8/htuBAFkH_CI/s400/m9.JPG
LOL, I had one of those for when I was cutting Timber in the Bush, That thing was nigh on halt the weight of the Saw and the Battery life was good for about 10 or 12 hours, Fun times, wish I was that fit Now.

John.
July 27, 2016 08:24PM
At 80 years old I can't swing a 7+ lb.(GPZ7000) detector and carry a pick all day, but I can and do swing 3lb. detector all day. I also don't have to get out of my pickup to engage the hubs for 4x4 use any more -. My cell phone dosen't have any knobs and is way more convenient than smoke signals.
July 27, 2016 09:33PM
Weight control is very simple,just like your bank account,you put more in than you take out = surplus money. Same with fat. Please don't bore me with "my metabolism,my genes etc. Use more calories than you take in and you lose weight PERIOD.
The saddest thing in the world is these Big Fat Mamas who go to the "all u can eat" pits with their kids,barely 5 years old, and the kid is already so fat their eyes are closed. No wonder the US military reports that 85% of the Merican Youts can't pass the entry physical. Ever looked at those Chinese and Russian soldiers??
July 27, 2016 09:55PM
Hobo Wrote:
> At 80 years old I can't swing a 7+ lb.(GPZ7000)
> detector and carry a pick all day, but I can and
> do swing 3lb. detector all day. I also don't have
> to get out of my pickup to engage the hubs for 4x4
> use any more -. My cell phone dosen't have any
> knobs and is way more convenient than smoke
> signals.

Lol, yeah I like Auto locking Hubs, and cell phones annoy the heck out of me, My brother who is older than me can't understand why I don't get newer phones or Tablets or lap tops, I have 2 phones and only my brother and my Son has the number of one of them and the other one I use for general use, But I don't give out my email to people or companies over here, My private phone and email is for my use not theirs, My Whites 5900 weighs 5.7 pounds without batteries yet it is perfectly balanced with the batteries fitted, I find the Balance of the machine is the key, My E-trac was very noes heavy.

john..
July 27, 2016 09:56PM
It's not weight that really matters. It's balance. The old whites machines had the counterweight of the box under your arm and a pistol grip. I used a blue and gray pro (5900) for years, it was heavy and it just swang "right".. Really like the way those older whites hunted vs the V series.... I'm stronger than most folks and have a hard time running an AT Pro more than a few hours with the stock coil due to all the torque being put on the wrist. I used to fish bass tournaments and dabbled in building rods. There are tip heavy, 3 oz rods that are a bear to fish "tip up" presentations with while I own 6 oz rods that are balanced and feel weightless.

I just don't get why manufacturers continue making these unbalanced S rod set ups. Torque and gravity can make a lightweight 3lb detector like an at pro or racer a literal pain ergonomically. Lots of threads about AT pro guys having shoulder and elbow trouble. I'm an explorer guy but had to switch as it was just too hard on my wrist and occasionally shoulders.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/27/2016 10:00PM by deadlift.
July 27, 2016 10:12PM
deadlift Wrote:
> It's not weight that really matters. It's balance.
> The old whites machines had the counterweight of
> the box under your arm and a pistol grip. I used a
> blue and gray pro (5900) for years, it was heavy
> and it just swang "right".. Really like the way
> those older whites hunted vs the V series.... I'm
> stronger than most folks and have a hard time
> running an AT Pro more than a few hours with the
> stock coil due to all the torque being put on the
> wrist. I used to fish bass tournaments and dabbled
> in building rods. There are tip heavy, 3 oz rods
> that are a bear to fish "tip up" presentations
> with while I own 6 oz rods that are balanced and
> feel weightless.
>
> I just don't get why manufacturers continue making
> these unbalanced S rod set ups. Torque and gravity
> can make a lightweight 3lb detector like an at pro
> or racer a literal pain ergonomically. Lots of
> threads about AT pro guys having shoulder and
> elbow trouble. I'm an explorer guy but had to
> switch as it was just too hard on my wrist and
> occasionally shoulders.

I just pickup a Whites 5900 Di Pro Plus in absolute showroom condition apart from a bit of rust on the nut on the headphone socket, the owner bought it new and put it in their loft and never used it, I phoned Whites and they said it was made in July 1989

See here, [www.ebay.co.uk]

John.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/27/2016 10:16PM by auminesweeper.
July 28, 2016 12:59AM
I really like the older analog, "knob" machines too. Most quality older machines last forever without any recalibration problems. Modern software machines will have a limited life expectancy, in my opinion. Weight vs. balance is undeniable. The TDI is heavy but you can swing it all day as Whites had the balance issue solved.
Weight and cardiovascular training would help all of us, no matter our age. It has it's benefits. I am still young, I guess, by experienced detectorists standards. 56 going on 57. I find working out really helps in my over all strength and well being. As a water Hunter in the summer I work out in the winter, with the occasional relic hunt when I can. At 6' and 236 lbs. I cut my weight to 195 last winter and feel great now. This winter my goal is to reach 205lbs. and have a six pack abs. Never done that before. Not doing the workouts for looks, just want to be healthy and feel better as I get older....Stuart
July 28, 2016 01:22AM
My health is pretty good as a general rule,what is my major problem is my wrist due to a bad bike accident years ago,this has come back to haunt me,as hard as i try to swing with my left arm it just does not seem to work,so one has adapted my machine use and how i use them as well.

Every day machines i tend to use lightweight machines like the Deus,T2,Laser Trident11 Extreme(UK version of the Vaquero but on super steroids)but when i use some heavy rigs like say the TDI Pro c/w 20'' Mono or my Nexus which are very heavy i find that using a full GPX harness and a Hipstick this spreads the whole weight across the shoulders and hips so i can swing a big rig all day long as they then take little effort to swing with the problematic wrist.

With a little bit of thought some problems can be over come.
July 28, 2016 01:56AM
search and recovery Wrote:
> I really like the older analog, "knob" machines
> too. Most quality older machines last forever
> without any recalibration problems. Modern
> software machines will have a limited life
> expectancy, in my opinion. Weight vs. balance is
> undeniable. The TDI is heavy but you can swing it
> all day as Whites had the balance issue solved.
> Weight and cardiovascular training would help
> all of us, no matter our age. It has it's
> benefits. I am still young, I guess, by
> experienced detectorists standards. 56 going on
> 57. I find working out really helps in my over all
> strength and well being. As a water Hunter in the
> summer I work out in the winter, with the
> occasional relic hunt when I can. At 6' and 236
> lbs. I cut my weight to 195 last winter and feel
> great now. This winter my goal is to reach 205lbs.
> and have a six pack abs. Never done that before.
> Not doing the workouts for looks, just want to be
> healthy and feel better as I get older....Stuart

with a little effort we can make it easy on our selves and keep detecting longer.