Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

In regards to noise on the forum, let me state my position.

Posted by wildwally1 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
In regards to noise on the forum, let me state my position.
August 01, 2016 04:59PM
In regards to noise on the forum, let me state my position. As a website with an open forum, we try to moderate as little as possible to maintain free and open communications. We don’t want to be the kind of site that bans members for posting an opinion other than mine or Tom’s. We rarely delete a post (other than Moving Services in India or Nike Shoes in Japan type SPAM posting) and even more rarely ban members (other than SPAM posters). We’ve had posts in the past bashing Tom (not on a personal level) and left them posted. In some cases, we have ‘members’ who have some good postings with good content but also post some messages that are off subject, nonsensical, bashing other forums or bashing other members. As a forum, we will not tolerate aggressive bashing or bullying. Typically, a member is warned a few times before being banned, but a warning is not required. Basically, being on this forum is like being at Tom’s home for a friendly discussion about metal detecting or related subjects, everyone is invited to come on over but sometimes, unruly guests are told to leave…and to never come back. In the end, it is Tom’s decision to delete posts or ban members, unless there is something blatant and I’ll take care of it as to not bother Tom.

A while ago, I had contemplated adding an ‘Ignore’ module to this forum that would allow members to ‘Ignore’ (not even see) postings by members of their choosing. Maybe I should add this module? Every posting has the name of the author in the title line, if a member wants to avoid reading the ‘noise’ from a known maker, they could just choose not to read said posts, but then the member might miss some of the good posting information (?) As Tom once (often) says, discrimination causes discrimination.

Thoughts?

wildwally1
Re: In regards to noise on the forum, let me state my position.
August 01, 2016 05:06PM
Wally, I think this should be put in the Forum header:
This forum is like being at Tom’s home for a friendly discussion about metal detecting or related subjects, everyone is invited to come on over but sometimes, unruly guests are told to leave.
August 01, 2016 05:08PM
Excellent post and keep up the good work....In addendum no one is twisting your arm to read all the posts so be selective and mentally delete the ones you want to..
August 01, 2016 05:32PM
Dan-Pa. Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Excellent post and keep up the good work....In
> addendum no one is twisting your arm to read all
> the posts so be selective and mentally delete the
> ones you want to..

What you say about "no one is twisting your arm to read all the posts" is true and good advice. Only problem with that, is the Drama Queens keep on posting unrestrained and before long Drama will be what the forum is known for.
August 01, 2016 05:34PM
wildwally1 Wrote:
> In regards to noise on the forum, let me state my
> position. As a website with an open forum, we try
> to moderate as little as possible to maintain free
> and open communications. We don’t want to be
> the kind of site that bans members for posting an
> opinion other than mine or Tom’s. We rarely
> delete a post (other than Moving Services in India
> or Nike Shoes in Japan type SPAM posting) and even
> more rarely ban members (other than SPAM posters).
> We’ve had posts in the past bashing Tom (not on
> a personal level) and left them posted. In some
> cases, we have ‘members’ who have some good
> postings with good content but also post some
> messages that are off subject, nonsensical,
> bashing other forums or bashing other members. As
> a forum, we will not tolerate aggressive bashing
> or bullying. Typically, a member is warned a few
> times before being banned, but a warning is not
> required. Basically, being on this forum is like
> being at Tom’s home for a friendly discussion
> about metal detecting or related subjects,
> everyone is invited to come on over but sometimes,
> unruly guests are told to leave…and to never
> come back. In the end, it is Tom’s decision to
> delete posts or ban members, unless there is
> something blatant and I’ll take care of it as to
> not bother Tom.
>
> A while ago, I had contemplated adding an
> ‘Ignore’ module to this forum that would allow
> members to ‘Ignore’ (not even see) postings by
> members of their choosing. Maybe I should add
> this module? Every posting has the name of the
> author in the title line, if a member wants to
> avoid reading the ‘noise’ from a known maker,
> they could just choose not to read said posts, but
> then the member might miss some of the good
> posting information (?) As Tom once (often) says,
> discrimination causes discrimination.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> wildwally1

I agree Wal, As we have seen this past week, with such person's doing their best to throw fuel on the fire, Along some posts bordering on Libelous and baiting members which destroys the thread/topic to the point of when the name appears on a post or started by such person/s that becomes a sign of being something to Avoid, So I think the ignore button would be a useful addition to the forum,

Thanks,, John.
August 01, 2016 05:39PM
You could add another sub-forum for non-detecting type posts, such as have been occurring here of late. Keeping the main forum free of unrelated topics. Then the moderator can 'move' posts off the main detecting forum, as needed, to maintain the integrity without deleting posts.
Let them talk, noise is ok. The truth is still true, no matter who says so or how. The discrimination analogy is apt, too much filter loses treasure.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/01/2016 06:08PM by Slag.
August 01, 2016 06:10PM
I am perplexed as to why it would be necessary to add a feature which required a conscious effort to avoid the "noise" when it takes a conscious effort to "hear" the noise in the first place. I have had no trouble ignoring Kemper for the last couple of weeks without the assistance of a button to push. It's not like a dog barking at your window at night , which rightfully you should attempt to quiet in a civilized and humane way before shooting it.

As far as an additional subforum , I think that may have some merit as this is a very dry forum , especially if one doesn't detect a lot at the types of sites which are often emphasized here. While we all seem to enjoy occasionally beating up on goodmore or discussing politics, another forum also gives another venue to those who are incapable of disciplining themselves and could create more work for the moderator,,,a.k.a. you!!
August 01, 2016 06:26PM
Wally-----Excellent explanation of the "stance" taken by Forum leadership--and thank you for making it.-----My thoughts: As Forum members---we need to remember that we are ALL guests here (I certainly include myself in that statement).----This is a free and very nice Forum--it is a METAL DETECTING Forum & should be kept on that level with posts/threads made by members.-----Things get "off topic" once in awhile but that happens on every forum & is to be somewhat expected (I guess).-----It's the silly/blatant/long winded/non-m.d.ing related post/threads (made by a very few) that the members here just get "fed up" with.-----I know moderating a forum isn't/can't be easy!------Here's a thought: MANY (most of us probably) are into this great hobby with a passion--and have been for years--we are interested in ALL aspects of it--wanting to learn all we can about it (and there is ALWAYS something more to learn).----We, as detectorists are "curious creatures" by nature--wanting to know what's over that next hill (detecting)--what that last great (or not so great) target "hit" the detector just reported on, etc., etc.---we're curious people! smiling smiley--------As to Forum posts---perhaps an "ignore module" (for certain members posts) would be a good idea---it would certainly take care of the "curious factor" of reading certain posts that you know "aren't going any where" in the first place.------Having said all this----If the posts on this METAL DETECTING Forum are kept on METAL DETECTING info/issues---a LOT of "problems" will be taken of right there (before they start).-------You wanted thoughts---these are mine.-----------Del
August 01, 2016 06:27PM
wildwally1 said, "We rarely delete a post (other than Moving Services in India or Nike Shoes in Japan type SPAM posting) and even more rarely ban members (other than SPAM posters)."

That says a LOT about how well we, the members here, police ourselves! That is not a small feat and deserves to be mentioned. Having said that, there are some here who do try the forum's patience more than others with actions such as:
(1) taking over threads by changing the subject from the original post.
(2) endless and unnecessary repetition of the same (usually) tirade.
(3) attempting to make every thread they reply to be about them.
(4) writing and punctuating in such a way as to make it hard to figure out what the poster is trying to say.
(5) use too many words (see item 4)
(6) quote an entire referenced post they are replying to (and all the quoted replies that quoted post contains) so that you have several screens of quoted material and often just a line or two of reply.

I consider myself to be a visitor in Tom's domain when I am here, because, literally, that is exactly what I am. I am going to try to conduct myself in a way that shows my respect to Tom, and that includes acting respectfully toward all of Tom's other guests.
To disrespect another guest of our host is to disrespect our host!

I like the freeform nature of this forum. All posts under one heading - the forum. Perhaps what I call freeform, Tom and Wally call "open."
No matter. What matters is that this forum is OPEN to all matters metal detecting and it is OPEN to all participants (as long as they play nice with others).

Thanks, Tom and Wally!

Wayne

Pleasant Garden, NC
AT Max, Nokta Impact, MX Sport, Nokta FORS Relic, GPX 4800, Infinium, Racer, Deus, F75SE, Nautilus DMC II (order of acquisition, last to first)

Does an archeologist argue with a plow? A bureaucrat with a bulldozer?
August 01, 2016 06:28PM
We do a pretty good job of moderating ourselves. When I go liberal or someone else continues to post the same message in six threads we are usually told by members to knock it off.
August 01, 2016 06:45PM
goodmore Wrote:
> We do a pretty good job of moderating ourselves.
> When I go liberal or someone else continues to
> post the same message in six threads we are
> usually told by members to knock it off.

Yep, 99% of the folks here are damn fine people and show good self control,

John.
August 01, 2016 07:14PM
My topics I submit can be controversial, but I post them to gauge on how people feel about them. Such as: Am I the only one that sees a problem with a topic? Perhaps I am not seeing every side. It is important to me to know that, while I can be quite passionate about things, that I am getting the full picture.

As for the noise. If I don't want to read something, I don't. As for a forum reputation, I do not know what type of impact that would have of having drama queens in it. I do know that I skip other forums because of their reputations. Being banned for giving your opinion on something that does NOT jibe with the status quo of the forum is counter-productive at the very least.
August 01, 2016 07:23PM
As a forum, we will not tolerate aggressive bashing or bullying. -- wildwally1

In my opinion aggressive bashing and bullying is started by someone that is posting in a way that attacks the messenger and not the message. When someone is attacked it is natural for them to respond.
Those that are good at starting the bashing and bullying of a member,( and this can be seen by reviewing posts ), are the ones that are trying to shape the content of the forum by exclusion and/or elimination.
Often they are not trying to eliminate someone or something so their content is more visible. If their goal was to make it a better forum by content ,they would provide content, which they seldom do.

It is my personal opinion that if you don't like the content or think it is overpowering the forum, just post something you do like.

My experience in forums shows me that if a person is going to tackle the tough issues, those that negatively effect the hobby, they are going to have to be prepared to take some hits. I am willing to do that but I don't feel that not responding to a bully does any good.

If I come to the forum on any given day and see that there isn't much going on , I look at it as an opportunity to start an interesting conversation. I'm not overly concerned about what I think others might like to see but rather about doing what I want to do. I admit that. I do agree that a person should ignore a thread or comment if they are not going to respond to it without attacking the author.

There is not much left out in the world of metal detecting forums. Most consist of a few people posting and a person can pretty well guess what the responses will be to the limited subjects they cover. Posting within the rules of them will not let a person do much that is constructive for the hobby or metal detecting as a whole. Not everyone wants to do much good or are concerned about the hot topic issues and there is a place for them there if it bothers them to be around those issues.

What is mostly missing on any forum is people having fun and joking around. A place has to be interesting to keep people wanting to come back and I've found that to be important. I've seen a forum try to cut back on that as they thought it was taking away from the forum as a whole. When they did people left in volume not because that is all they wanted to do but because they wanted to do that also.

Regardless of what the forum owner wants there will be people pushing the limits , The same way people push the limits of their detector.
August 01, 2016 08:06PM
I've been around metal detecting for decades, but only seriously for the last handful of years. I discovered this forum late and was attracted to it by it reputation of an experienced and highly technical crowd of folks. And that it is. BUT, in my short time here, it does seem that it is going the way of more and more children posting so someone can pay attention to them. Maybe its because its summer break or something and it will clear up in a month or so.

While I do 'vote with my eyes' and don't bother with obvious time wasting threads or those from posers, I see the value of keeping this forum to its stated purpose. Perhaps as suggested above, a subforum for the posers/trolls where the mods move any but serious detecting threads? Or maybe asking some of the more adult regulars to just delete without comment threads or posts that aren't pertinent. (the most disheartening thing you can do to an attention seeker is simply delete without comment). I do like the option of an IGNORE button if a noisy child posts in an interesting thread. If there was some way to keep count of IGNOREs and autodelete the offending post that might help.
Bottom line for me is that we are all guests here. Tom's Site, Tom's Rules.
August 01, 2016 08:42PM
Kemper94 Wrote:
>
> What is mostly missing on any forum is people
> having fun and joking around.

I'm middleaged, got 2 daughters, 2 son in laws, 1 son, 3 grandkids, 1 wife, A Dog, business, 3 weeks of holiday each year, gimpy leg, bad shoulder, overweight
AND
too many detectors,... do you really expect me to go cracking jokes left and right.

My idea of a good time is picking bottlecaps out of the dirt and digging huge holes at the beach for a coke can!

As for the ignore button,... wo needs buttons when a killswitch will do!

I'm not a frequent longwinded poster,... I try to post "condensed milk", will add water when needed.

HH
Johnb
August 01, 2016 08:43PM
I've been ignoring. Unfortunately that means I've been ignoring the site in general the past few weeks. At least from normal general reading. I've tried to add information to some of the noise but the noise floor is too high for successful transmission.
August 01, 2016 08:48PM
Champ Ferguson Wrote:
I
> discovered this forum late and was attracted to it
> by it reputation of an experienced and highly
> technical crowd of folks. And that it is. BUT, in
> my short time here, it does seem that it is going
> the way of more and more children posting so
> someone can pay attention to them.

First of all, everyone posts for attention to them and their comment. Calling other members children that post what you don't seem to like is bashing and bullying. This forum does have a reputation of experienced and highly technical people. It also has a reputation of having bullies and hypocritical people that attack and target an individual but do not police themselves.

If you check the record you can see who looks to be the children of this forum. This is a " detecting " forum, not just a " detector " forum as some may want it to be. I realize you didn't say you wanted it to be a detector forum only but your comments come across as such.
August 01, 2016 08:55PM
scoopjohnb Wrote:
> Kemper94 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> >
> > What is mostly missing on any forum is people
> > having fun and joking around.
>

... do you really expect me to
> go cracking jokes left and right.

No. I don't expect anybody to do anything they don't want to. I think it is healthy for the forum and people should not discourage it. I'm not the type of person ,like some here, to tell other members what to do.
August 01, 2016 08:58PM
Slag Wrote:
> Let them talk, noise is ok. The truth is still
> true, no matter who says so or how. The
> discrimination analogy is apt, too much filter
> loses treasure.

Good post. thumbs down
August 01, 2016 09:06PM
A very well thought out and stated post Wally!!

I also want to thank Tom for allowing us into his "living room" to discuss our chosen obsession. It is to bad when sometimes a guest has too much to drink and has to be asked to leave, I don't think any body enjoys having to do that, but sometimes it is for a greater good.
August 01, 2016 09:12PM
3 in a row from our useless general knowledge poster and all around drama meister - yep, the noise level is starting to drown the signal.

I work hard to try and make my posts relevant and concise. If you don't like them, well - they are generally not too long and about metal detecting - practically painless.

Wish I could say the same about mr. 3 in a row above.

Rick Kempf
Gold Canyon AZ- where there is no gold

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/01/2016 09:14PM by lytle78.
August 01, 2016 09:14PM
Beyonder-Pa Wrote:
> My topics I submit can be controversial, but I
> post them to gauge on how people feel about them.
> Such as: Am I the only one that sees a problem
> with a topic? Perhaps I am not seeing every side.
> It is important to me to know that, while I can be
> quite passionate about things, that I am getting
> the full picture.
>
> As for the noise. If I don't want to read
> something, I don't. As for a forum reputation, I
> do not know what type of impact that would have of
> having drama queens in it. I do know that I skip
> other forums because of their reputations. Being
> banned for giving your opinion on something that
> does NOT jibe with the status quo of the forum is
> counter-productive at the very least.

Excellent Post winking smiley Beyonder-Pa

[www.earthscan.co.nz]
August 01, 2016 09:17PM
SeabeeRon Wrote:
> A very well thought out and stated post Wally!!
>
> I also want to thank Tom for allowing us into his
> "living room" to discuss our chosen obsession. It
> is to bad when sometimes a guest has too much to
> drink and has to be asked to leave, I don't think
> any body enjoys having to do that, but sometimes
> it is for a greater good.

While it is rare that I drink , I have never posted under the influence. I think it is a cheap shot to bring alcohol into the conversation although I like drinkers and don't care if they post while drinking. I think what wally is talking about here,in addition to other things, is people like you coming here and taking shots at people. I don't see you posting any finds or starting a thread that might help the new person in the hobby. Not telling you what to do but just pointing out a couple options if you want to improve your record.
August 01, 2016 09:22PM
lytle78 Wrote:
> 3 in a row from our useless general knowledge
> poster
and all around drama meister - yep, the
> noise level is starting to drown the signal.
>
> I work hard to try and make my posts relevant and
> concise. If you don't like them, well - they are
> generally not too long and about metal detecting -
> practically painless.
>
> Wish I could say the same about mr. 3 in a row
> above.

It doesn't seem like you get it yet.
August 01, 2016 09:49PM
My simple thoughts:

Say you have a nice restaurant and the food/service is great and the place is clean. It draws well respected people there to eat on a regular basis. All is good and happy. Then after a while, rats and roaches are discovered in the dwelling. If the caretakers/owners do not take care of the problem and just tell customers to ignore them at their own discretion, eventually the only customers are going to be the rats and roaches and the people will find other places to go. Some of you may be able to look past rat droppings on your table while you eat. I wont. Others wont either.
August 01, 2016 09:49PM
> SeabeeRon Wrote:
> -----
> > A very well thought out and stated post Wally!!
> >
> > I also want to thank Tom for allowing us into
> his
> > "living room" to discuss our chosen obsession.
> It
> > is to bad when sometimes a guest has too much
> to
> > drink and has to be asked to leave, I don't
> think
> > any body enjoys having to do that, but
> sometimes
> > it is for a greater good.

>then Kemper94 Wrote:

> While it is rare that I drink , I have never
> posted under the influence. I think it is a cheap
> shot to bring alcohol into the conversation
> although I like drinkers and don't care if they
> post while drinking. I think what wally is talking
> about here,in addition to other things, is people
> like you coming here and taking shots at people. I
> don't see you posting any finds or starting a
> thread that might help the new person in the
> hobby. Not telling you what to do but just
> pointing out a couple options if you want to
> improve your record.

No where in my post were you (nor anyone else) mentioned!?! confused smiley
August 01, 2016 10:21PM
SeabeeRon Wrote:
> -----
> > SeabeeRon Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > A very well thought out and stated post
> Wally!!
> > >
> > > I also want to thank Tom for allowing us into
> > his
> > > "living room" to discuss our chosen obsession.
>
> > It
> > > is to bad when sometimes a guest has too much
> > to
> > > drink and has to be asked to leave, I don't
> > think
> > > any body enjoys having to do that, but
> > sometimes
> > > it is for a greater good.
>
>

>
> No where in my post were you (nor anyone else)
> mentioned!?! confused smiley

I never said you mentioned me. You did infer that alcohol may be a problem and I wanted you to know that is not the case in regards to me. Fair enough. You did mention other people, as I highlighted, in direct context of your alcohol analogy. In other words Ron-- If you are hinting that you think someone should be asked to leave, as your post clearly shows, than why not just say so and further prove my point about you coming here and taking shots at people.
August 01, 2016 10:21PM
I would like to have an ignore button to personalize my view of the board. Not only would it personlize my view of the board but when using the search engine to locate topics of interest it would serve as an auto cull of the drivel.

HH
Mike
August 01, 2016 10:45PM
Go back on my posts and you will see ive asked for that ignore button. I jusp prefer the lack of drama.... I have that flexibility on other forums and in life. Sometimes disc is good .... not as much to dig thru to get to the good stuff.