Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Dont become so focused on unmasking

Posted by Keith Southern 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Dont become so focused on unmasking
January 24, 2011 11:50PM
item's in iron ridden sites or trying to ignore iron that you miss out on great dig's...

all of these iron object's have been dug in the last 18-24 month's.....these are Civil War artifact's that was dug in mostly house site's...the Burnside lock with hammer you see on the left of the picture was dug last week.. so while trying to unmask don't forget to listen for those good solid iron hit's if you relic hunt...heck even if you are coin hunting...

I love iron as much as any artifact...but it is an easily overlooked target with modern day excellent discriminator's ...

The best way to really hunt a site is to get all the big iron out just down to the nail's being left then work those with very low disc...when you get down to just the nail are left set your disc to dig the bent nail's then you know you are giving it all you can with what we have to hunt with right now..

If I dont dig bent nail's in nail littered site's I usually go home empty handed...

I know alot of people know this stuff but thought it might help someone...

[img255.imageshack.us]][/URL]

Keith
Re: Dont become so focused on unmasking
January 25, 2011 12:25AM
Keith is alluding that bent nails give a slightly higher iron ID.......and is correct. If you are digging some bent nails.......and very few straight nails......your Disc is set properly..... and should ascertain the best unmasking capabilities with said settings.
February 27, 2018 02:15AM
I'd take that stuff all day/every day!
February 27, 2018 02:32AM
Thanks for the reminder.

Those are aome great gun parts......and relics in general!
February 27, 2018 02:36AM
A lot of Americana there---think of the history behind each item.
February 27, 2018 03:45AM
Keith, what detector did you use to get those great finds. I'm with you. I like finding iron relics.

If you set your disc to just break up on nails your detector should hit on larger iron. So far from what I've seen with the Equinox, it looks like it will hit on iron relics, I hope.

My Tejon, modded LST, Impact in d12, Gen & Gen(d), & T2 Classic in 1 tone all work great hitting on bigger iron. I just hope the Equinox will. I am a little concerned with the narrow iron range. I'm ordering one soon.

Rick
February 27, 2018 05:49AM
My iron relics usually end up being horse and Ox shoes, cast iron stove parts, and wagon bits and pieces.
February 27, 2018 12:37PM
Cal_cobra Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> My iron relics usually end up being horse and Ox s
> hoes, cast iron stove parts, and wagon bits and p
> ieces.

I'm right there with you! I have enough shoes to shoe a herd of horses. And enough stove parts to keep warm next winter.
February 27, 2018 03:09PM
awesome relics, Keith. Congrats!

Wayne

Pleasant Garden, NC
AT Max, Nokta Impact, MX Sport, Nokta FORS Relic, GPX 4800, Infinium, Racer, Deus, F75SE, Nautilus DMC II (order of acquisition, last to first)

Does an archeologist argue with a plow? A bureaucrat with a bulldozer?
February 28, 2018 11:51PM
Another Old one!!

Thanks Fellas

RIck Mostly MXT dug that stuff...At least 75% or more

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
March 01, 2018 12:53AM
Very nice collection of finds. I think way to many people walk over those types of targets and don’t realize what they’re missing out on.