Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Who's Got the Littlest One ?

Posted by auminesweeper 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Who's Got the Littlest One ?
August 06, 2016 04:51AM
Ok, Just a bit of fun, i'll be serious for once, the past couple of weeks I have been weighing bits of lead and Air testing Coils and what I saw was quite inspiring, So after I finish with that I took the all Seeing Eye with the Hottest Coil I have and went in search for tiny targets, Well they replace the lead on the roof here, And I believe I have found the smallest target I have ever dug up, This was eye opening because most folks tend to say that a VLF can't see anything smaller than a couple Grains

So, What is the smallest target ( Lead or Gold ) by weight that you have ever dug up with a VLF under 20KHz ? And what machine and coil were you using.

Thanks folks,

John .

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/06/2016 05:02AM by auminesweeper.
Re: Who's Got the Littlest One ?
August 06, 2016 07:24AM
I would have said that if you are out and out hunting for gold nuggets in Oz land or Nevada then even the smallest finds all add up and make it worth its while the effort and specialized equipment involved,but in reality the normal everyday target like coins and artifacts are just not that small are they to warrant all the testing for ultra small finds.Of course this is just my personal opinion and also the reward to effort ratio just does not stack up,apart from of course gold.

Even say a small roman size minim of which you are aware of are small coins but still many times larger than the microscopic finds that you are testing,is it worth all the effort,well for me personally the answer would be 'NO' but the main thing i guess is as long as the person who is doing all this fine small particle testing and observations using a detector is happy then that is all that matters.
August 06, 2016 12:41PM
The reason I ask is because 4 of my Detectors are Gold Based machines and with some Gold machines they have a very basic Disc systems and in some places because of the higher frequency tend to suffer in hotter Ground and also they can loose a bit of depth when compared to their lower frequency counterparts, Along with the limited number of coils Available for them also, When it comes to Coils the coil companies seem to focus on Coils for VLF machines and Coils for PI machines, but there are very few coils for higher frequency machines.

So I decided to test my machine to its limits and see what it could find and if it could find bits smaller than what other machines are finding along with being close to bits that higher VLF's (LF's) find then maybe I could use my main VLF when hunting for fine Gold,.

John.
August 06, 2016 01:42PM
@auminesweeper,John,i grasp what you are trying too achieve,sound like you have some serious indepth testing.
August 06, 2016 01:47PM
Using a GB 2 and other gold detectors it quite common to find sub grain sized gold. At almost $3.00 a grain it adds up.
August 06, 2016 02:07PM
Hobo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Using a GB 2 and other gold detectors it quite
> common to find sub grain sized gold. At almost
> $3.00 a grain it adds up.

Well I have a Newish GMT and I changed the Coil on it and now it is about as hot as the GB II which can see bits under 1/10,000th of an oz that is impossible to weigh, But I wanted to run a VLF and I have got it seeing crazy sized bits when I turn it up,

So I don't think a person needs to go beyond what I have seen with my set up, But the only way to find anything smaller is with a pan,

John.
August 06, 2016 02:15PM
Junk and Disorderly Wrote:
> @auminesweeper,John,i grasp what you are trying
> too achieve,sound like you have some serious
> indepth testing.

Well I think I have taken it as far as anyone can go with a VLF or an LF, and apart from using a Falcon MD-20 there is nothing else out there that will do it, but some of the bits are already in the Falcons territory, So I don't think there is anything out there that can go to the next level and I am not sure there is such a place.

John.
August 06, 2016 07:25PM
I sure hope I don't.grinning smiley LOL!
August 06, 2016 08:58PM
Harold,ILL. Wrote:
> I sure hope I don't.grinning smiley LOL!

Lol, I thought that make a smile or two,

After all my testing I found that it you can run the gain up high the Whites 6" inch 5.3 coil is the hottest coil they make and it will make the MXT All Pro see about 98% + maybe more of what the GMT can and it will see well in to the Sub-Grains, Even in the hottest of ground conditions because of it's size it see's a lesser picture of the ground the mineralization does not seem to bother it and it is way deeper than the 4x6 shooter coil, even in hot ground,
August 06, 2016 10:10PM
auminesweeper Wrote:
> Harold,ILL. Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I sure hope I don't.grinning smiley LOL!
>
> Lol, I thought that make a smile or two,
>
> After all my testing I found that it you can run
> the gain up high the Whites 6" inch 5.3 coil is
> the hottest coil they make and it will make the
> MXT All Pro see about 98% + maybe more of what the
> GMT can and it will see well in to the Sub-Grains,
> Even in the hottest of ground conditions because
> of it's size it see's a lesser picture of the
> ground the mineralization does not seem to bother
> it and it is way deeper than the 4x6 shooter coil,
> even in hot ground,

The White's 6½" Concentric coil in either frequency ... 6.59 kHz or 14 kHz is their best designed coil in my opinion. I have used the small 6.59 kHz with success on the XL Pro and IDX Pro modified. The 6½" 14 kHz Eclipse 5.3 is used on my MX5 and the depth and separation on these small coils is astounding in my mild Ks. soil,
August 06, 2016 10:40PM
Hombre Wrote:

> The White's 6½" Concentric coil in either
> frequency ... 6.59 kHz or 14 kHz is their best
> designed coil in my opinion. I have used the small
> 6.59 kHz with success on the XL Pro and IDX Pro
> modified. The 6½" 14 kHz Eclipse 5.3 is used on
> my MX5 and the depth and separation on these small
> coils is astounding in my mild Ks. soil,

I agree, it is way more sensitive than the 4x6 and it has a lot more depth, But it has the most impressive small nugget ability of any Coil out there nothing even comes close,

John.
August 07, 2016 11:45AM
Last time i looked it getting harder to find the more the years go by.

Regards Pinpointa.
August 07, 2016 07:34PM
pinpointa Wrote:
> Last time i looked it getting harder to find the
> more the years go by.
>
> Regards Pinpointa.
Must be the Cold Snap grinning smileygrinning smiley

John
August 08, 2016 11:39PM
U.K farmland gets used a lot for shooting, spent shotgun cartridges are a particular menace. The ground must be littered with the small lead pellets, too....but thankfully they are just small enough that my main machine won't normally find them. But, if they are shallow enough, and the surface of the dirt is smooth, they will trigger a hit. As a result, I've dug a grand total of 3 of them, all from less than 1 inch depth. I saved Number 3, so I can do tests with it. It weighs almost exactly 1 grain (0.07 grams) [ I will try and measure it on some decent lab scales soon] .
Machine used? Standard F75, with 5" round DD coil (for 2 of the pellets, anyway, one may have been with the 11" DD fitted...)

My hunch is that greater depth on such targets would be had with a smaller coil, like a 3" DD.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/09/2016 01:33AM by Pimento.