Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Ozzie wrote "A time machine would come in handy."

Posted by Caretaker 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Ozzie wrote "A time machine would come in handy."
August 12, 2016 10:06PM
if you had one where would you go back to , that is to detect, and what yearsmiling smiley
Re: Ozzie wrote "A time machine would come in handy."
August 12, 2016 10:27PM
Caretaker Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> if you had one where would you go back to , that
> is to detect, and what yearsmiling smiley

1975-----OH MY YES!!!
August 12, 2016 10:38PM
August 12, 2016 11:00PM
If I know now what I did not know then.......

I would go back in time to the year 1983 and buy a Tesoro INCA and hit riverside park in Wichita Ks. I heard from several people that it was a silver bonanza at that park.
August 12, 2016 11:06PM
Sutter's Mill, California 1847
August 12, 2016 11:26PM
11/22/63 Dallas
The grassy knoll of Dealey Plaza
August 12, 2016 11:50PM
1715-16
August 13, 2016 12:28AM
Ona State Park circa 1962. Some day I will relate a interesting story about that park.
BTW, you are a despicable man, Ermal Fraze!
August 13, 2016 01:10AM
1983....oNE year before a relative of mine drained and bulldozed the bottom of a public swimming park that has a list of over 20 engagement and wedding rings lost in it
August 13, 2016 12:30PM
Several times I'd like to visit. One comes to mind because I drive by it a few times a year, brings back memories. The place was called Holiday Lake, I think it's in Burlington County in New Jersey.

Goodmore may remember this place.

From the 50's to the 70's crowds and crowds of people from the surrounding area, Phila included would go there to swim in the man made sand lake. The diving platforms were constructed in the middle of the lake.

The place now has fancy buildings maybe even a big church on it.

I can imagine all the silver coins and jewelry dozed over and sitting there under the footings of the new buildings....

Wished I would have been able to detect the many acres before they changed the landscape....oh well. sad smiley
August 13, 2016 01:00PM
If you could go back in time couldn't you just go to a bank and get the coins and zip back to the future? Sounds better than digging them up. Next thing you know someone sees your modern day detector and they burn you for being a witch. They bury your detector trying to save themselves from evil and then I dig it up in modern times and wonder what the heck. How long was this Makro Racer 2 in the ground? I trace down the serial number and try to warn you not to go back.......ohhhhhh the plot thickens. Time travel makes my head spin.
August 13, 2016 01:30PM

any metal detector would do..

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
August 13, 2016 03:52PM
goodmore Wrote:
> If you could go back in time couldn't you just go
> to a bank and get the coins and zip back to the
> future? Sounds better than digging them up. Next
> thing you know someone sees your modern day
> detector and they burn you for being a witch. They
> bury your detector trying to save themselves from
> evil and then I dig it up in modern times and
> wonder what the heck. How long was this Makro
> Racer 2 in the ground? I trace down the serial
> number and try to warn you not to go
> back.......ohhhhhh the plot thickens. Time travel
> makes my head spin.

Goodmore, you're a genius. That made me chuckle after reading that and now I'll laugh when I drive by there.....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/13/2016 03:53PM by ozzie.
August 13, 2016 04:01PM
I chose 1983 as the year going on the premise that you could not take a metal detector with you. Therefore I chose a Tesoro INCA as my detector and 1983 as the year because that is the year it was introduced and then chose a park that held a lot of silver coins back in the day.
August 13, 2016 04:09PM
Keith Southern Wrote:
> 1865..
>
> any metal detector would do..
>
> Keith

Or a good set of eyes!!!
August 13, 2016 04:19PM
You Guys ???

What the heck is wrong with 1849-ish Back at the major Gold Strike spots, Who's Coming with me smileys with beer

John.
August 13, 2016 04:25PM
If I could go back in time to even yesterday I would be going to the stock market and placing bets on sporting events.

Nox600, CTX, CZ21, Excal II and White's DF with 920i stealthscoop...I live and hunt at the beach in Wilm NCsmiling smiley
August 13, 2016 04:40PM
tnsharpshooter Wrote:
> Keith Southern Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > 1865..
> >
> > any metal detector would do..
> >
> > Keith
>
>
> Or a good set of eyes!!!

My Grandfather as a young lad walked Pea Ridge Battlefield in the early 20th century. He told me this story to me in the early 60's...I asked him if he found anything. He said that there was a lot of busted up canteens laying about and some of the big trees were full of bullets that had turned white and some were scabbed over. He kept seeing what he describbed as long rusty pipes laying around and later found out they were musket barrels. I asked him if he kepth any of the items and he said no because he thought that they had no value...lol...To go back with a metal detector would be quite an experience to say the least.
August 13, 2016 06:08PM
Imagine that Hombre!!

I have read accounts of the First relic hunters in Gettysburg..

Right after the troops cleared out people went in souvenir collecting..I've seen some of the stuff they picked up..

I have this book that shows and tells about it..Jaw dropping relics..

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
August 13, 2016 06:43PM
I'm more of a fan of the Colonial era 1st and foremost with CW era a close 2nd so I'd have to say around 1780s time frame b/cuz I'd vacuum up all the Pine Tree, Oak Tree and Willow Tree shillings I could find not to mention some of the other rarities of that era like US Bar Coppers, Granby coppers, Pitt tokens, State issued coppers, 2, 3 and 6 Pence pieces etc

It'd be better than winning the lotto imo grinning smiley
August 13, 2016 07:25PM
Yes, Gettysburg a short time after the battle; or here in NC, Bentonville just after the battle would be awesome to witness. Probably horrific, too.

There was somewhere around 30,000 confederate troops in camps encircling Greensboro. Some were practically in the town and others were miles out of town, but basically they surrounded Greensboro, having come there with the intention of joining up with Lee's Army of Northern VA. One of those camps, said to be roughly 3 miles square in size, was less than 10 miles from where I live.

Here is a picture, probably from the 70s or 80s, of some artifacts that were uncovered, I believe, while plowing.

I have spoken with a man who detected this site 30 years ago and literally has a civil war museum in one room of his house. He has 4 or 5 limber chests that he has bought over the years from local families. They look like the day they left the Atlanta Armory (stenciled inside). He said he was told that soon after the soldiers left camp and marched to Bush Hill to be mustered out of the army, nearby farmers flooded into the camp and loaded wagons with abandoned supplies and headed for their homes, some having to jettison some of their load in order to crest some of the hills encountered along the way.

Wayne

Pleasant Garden, NC
AT Max, Nokta Impact, MX Sport, Nokta FORS Relic, GPX 4800, Infinium, Racer, Deus, F75SE, Nautilus DMC II (order of acquisition, last to first)

Does an archeologist argue with a plow? A bureaucrat with a bulldozer?
August 13, 2016 10:52PM
I do not relic hunt. I know quite a few of you on this forum hold a great value on relics from the Civil War. I live two counties over from Gettysburg. I'm guessing 50 miles. I have been invited to hunt a few farms around there through the years, but I never really had the desire. Hey I'm screwed up. I do consider myself a pirate when it comes to silver in the ground. I would really love to take a CTX back to when I was a boy and started this hobby. My dad and I would surely be up to our behinds in silver. Every time I start a hunt I think back to when we did it together. An old Whites blue box with the 4B coil. No discrimination. We dug a heck of a lot of foil. I would love to hand him that CTX and say our foil digging days are over.
August 13, 2016 11:26PM
goodmore Wrote:
> If you could go back in time couldn't you just go
> to a bank and get the coins and zip back to the
> future? Sounds better than digging them up. Next
> thing you know someone sees your modern day
> detector and they burn you for being a witch. They
> bury your detector trying to save themselves from
> evil and then I dig it up in modern times and
> wonder what the heck. How long was this Makro
> Racer 2 in the ground? I trace down the serial
> number and try to warn you not to go
> back.......ohhhhhh the plot thickens. Time travel
> makes my head spin.

Goodmore,
I have been purchasing coin bags of coins that folks run through the machine at my bank for some years now. I can tell you that the number of silver coins I have gotten that way is probably over 500x the number of silver coins o have dug. You could always check at your local bank. It costs money for the bank for each bag they send out to be balanced....some I am sure will let you buy the bags at face with no fee. If they have newer machines it is mostly only worth your time to buy a bag of halves or nickels. The best time would be the bag of halves the first business day of each month because they must balance and empty their counters every month end, normally. The most bizarre things I have gotten from a bag is 14 .45 Cal live rounds....
August 14, 2016 11:09PM
I thought someone would say 1804 and get as many silver dollars and George Washington buttons as they could collect, mine would be 1973 , that's when I wanted to get into detecting, right after I graduated HS, not 1999, when I really started, then I would go back to every key dated coin or relic or gold rush, and hoard everything hahahhahahahhaa
August 14, 2016 11:24PM
Forget the Metal detector, I would go back to the 70's and stay. That was the last great decade. This Country has went down hill ever since!