Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Nokta FORS Relic detector strikes ( likely a contemporary counterfeit capped bust dime)

Posted by tnsharpshooter 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Back to my proving grounds site today.

Had intentions of running 2 tone using small coil.

I did and it payed off.

I used 2 tone 70 gain, 0 I mask , 0 ID mask, tone break set to 15.

All of the finds I found today,,,I discovered with the above settings,,and then compared using 3 tone gain 99, 0 I mask, O ID mask,,,only one of the finds I would have dug using 3 tone.
Using 3 tone ID was more rolling like iron and nails like to read sometimes.
I wouldn't have dug the dime,,or even the bigger flat button,,btw the button was found about 16" from the dime beforehand. And to think,,this spot where the button and dime was found,,I had recent plugs all around me from previous days hunts. But never used 2 tone on any of these hunts,,except for my last hunt before this for a short while.
Also when I dug what appears to be capped bust dime,,,it was approx 6.25" deep btw,,,my pinpointer was still a purring after dime retrieval out of hole,,,turns out a rather big piece of iron was very close to dime,,at around the same level depth wise.

The dime seems discolored and is bent,,,might have burned up in a house.
I have seen one pic,,on Internet,,of a shack or something that sat very near this spot the coin was dug.

The front side of coin,,only readable in places.

Will post solo pics of front and back in a few minutes.

I am tickled to death,, some 170 hours detecting this site,,,and low and behold the coin was there the whole time.
For this area,,this is an extraordinary find,,,talking to a gent who has detected in adjacent county and other places since 1975.
I can't say enough about the Nokta Relic detector.
I wished had I known what I was about to dig,,,I wished I had my CTX with small coil attached just to see what I would have seen or heard.
Btw,,CTX airtest dime=12-40.
Thanks for looking.

Front

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 08/14/2016 02:44PM by tnsharpshooter.
Re: Nokta FORS Relic detector strikes in my proving grounds (capped bust)
August 14, 2016 01:25AM
Nice report ••• very good results from a very well hunted smaller sized site ••• additional verification why I feel the Nokta Relic is the absolute best when it comes to unmasking,

As I stated for Nokta on the Relic website: "Unmasking abilities like you wouldn't imagine! .... The Nokta FORS Relic."

Folks need to take a very serious look at what is available for them, and your short term results speaks volumes. Keep up the good hunting.

Monte
August 14, 2016 02:19AM
Nice report David--thanks for taking the time to do it.------I'm really liking that 2 tone on the R2.--Do you think the R2 with small coil & in 2 tone would have hit that Bust dime as well as the Relic?-----Wish you could have compared responses on both the R2 and CTX with small coils on them.----------Del
August 14, 2016 03:05AM
D&P-OR Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Nice report David--thanks for taking the time to
> do it.------I'm really liking that 2 tone on the
> R2.--Do you think the R2 with small coil & in 2
> tone would have hit that Bust dime as well as the
> Relic?-----Wish you could have compared responses
> on both the R2 and CTX with small coils on
> them.----------Del

First of all thanks Monte and Del.

Del,,I don't have a small coil for my CTX,,today I wished I would have.
May pick one up.

As far as the Racer 2.

I just don't know,,,I can say swing speed definitely less forgiven compared to Relic unit when comparing doing down the barrel nail test with different sized nails and differ t coins.

I have run the R2 in this site,,,to me Racer2 doesn't do what I call round off the corners of the iron/nails as much as the relic detector.

I do know when comparing say 2 tone to 3 tone,,as minerals amp up,,detection depths between the two modes moves closer to one another.

Today,,the flat button in pic,,,no way no how I would have dug using 3 tone with relic detector,,,2 tone hit it good.
Btw,,button on edge some 5.5"-6" deep,,,I actually missed it when digging,,to find it in the side of hole on edge.

I also ran relic detector in 2 tone after digging dime today at gain of 80,,, detector gets more sparky,,,in a site like this one,,,I think running 80 may defeat purpose,,,but I was living a little to learn a lot.
In cleaner ground maybe it would work.

I sure don't know the orientation of dime when detected. And it being out of shape could be a reason why it was still there--Deus couldn't detect.
Only speculation though.

Personally,,,I think Xp should have a way in their programming,,,where op can select like,,,,detect round ,,coin shaped,,,and detect unusual shaped out of round.

I think the Nokta Relic units spanks the Deus here,,,based on even my limited experience with Nokta Relic detector.

The Racers may as well,,,but I think the gap not near as wide.

To close,,,the mad scientist(s) who put this Nokta Relic detector together--kudos.

Also,,I should point out,,,I bought my unit used,,it was Daniels old unit I think.
I notice the coil plug is a little loose on control box.
I think it a good idea for folks tightening their cable on control box,,,,HOLD the back of your connector (cable area) when tightening connector.

I just talked to landowner where I found dime,,,he has recently bulldozed some spots--- key areas where I have made a few decent finds.
Will try to hunt at least part of tomorrow.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/14/2016 03:31AM by tnsharpshooter.
August 14, 2016 03:05AM
That dime is a hard one to come across, congratulations and good hunting. That unit seems to be making many friends. thumbs down
August 14, 2016 03:49AM
ozzie Wrote:
> That dime is a hard one to come across,
> congratulations and good hunting. That unit seems
> to be making many friends. thumbs down

Thanks Ozzie.

I forget to say,, no headphones used today,,actually on any of my hunts with relic detector.

Speaker location,,,I can hear pretty good,,just keep my volume l at max,,,it was windy a little today too.

Racer1 and Racer 2 here,,,,due to speaker location--- harder to hear,,a struggle for me especuially if windy/breezy.

Hot weather and full headphones don't mix for me.

Cheers

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/14/2016 03:50AM by tnsharpshooter.
August 14, 2016 03:50AM
`Capped bust caught my eye, sweet find, congrats!
August 14, 2016 04:19AM
You might have a contemporary counterfeit dime by looking at yours.

what does it read in I.D. scale?

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
August 14, 2016 04:31AM
Keith Southern Wrote:
> You might have a contemporary counterfeit dime by
> looking at yours.
>
> what does it read in I.D. scale?
>
> Keith

Coin reads 12-40 using CTX on airtest,,,coins is slightly bigger in diameter than seated dime when compared.

I also dug these targets near where I dug this hopefully capped bust dime.

A ghost town and before that a settlement.

August 14, 2016 04:34AM
Yep that's my old Relic unit. Its neat how two people can have two different ways of looking at the same thing. I am reminded of an analogy...might have read it here or on Facebook. Anyway, it's like the drunkard that has two sons. One son becomes a drunkard and when asked why he says "I watched my father while growing up". The other son never drinks a drop in his life and when asked why, he says "I watched my father while growing up". Perspective is different for everybody.

I didn't like the Relic at all. It just wasn't the best unit for the sites/conditions I normally hunt. In my testing, the MX Sport did and thus I kept it and parted with the Relic. Horses for courses. If the majority of my sites were infested with iron, I might have liked it. I struggle more so with zinc jar lids, tin roofs and the lead backed rivets/nails for those roofs, aluminum pan pieces, metal tubes for oinments/toothpaste, the list goes on and on.

Congrats on the dime though. I'm glad it is working for ya.
August 14, 2016 04:42AM
Interesting..

I've dug a capped bust contemporary fake once years ago and it was in condition like your's

I would have to go look it up but it seems it was common to be made from german silver composition...which is zinc and nickel and maybe?? copper...

I dug it in a civil war camp and it was bubbled up...

Whats neat is the fake ones are worth money if there in nice shape..usually more than the original's..Believe it or not they circuyltate quite heavily in thwet era..

Just a thought not saying it is just has a that look to it..

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
August 14, 2016 04:42AM
Thanks Marcomo and Daniel.
August 14, 2016 04:48AM
Keith Southern Wrote:
> Interesting..
>
> I've dug a capped bust contemporary fake once
> years ago and it was in condition like your's
>
> I would have to go look it up but it seems it was
> common to be made from german silver
> composition...which is zinc and nickel and maybe??
> copper...
>
> I dug it in a civil war camp and it was bubbled
> up...
>
> Whats neat is the fake ones are worth money if
> there in nice shape..usually more than the
> original's..Believe it or not they circuyltate
> quite heavily in thwet era..
>
> Just a thought not saying it is just has a that
> look to it..
>
> Keith

I think the coin has been burned some,,,it is out of shape like it was a bit hot,,,and on the face,,part of it looks like it got hotter than the other.
Only speculation.
There was a I think small shack either over or very close to where I dug based on some old pics I've seen.

The time line of coin,,,fits with the mint dates of Spanish silver and seated dime dug near where I dug.

I don't know,,,but awfully coincidental date wise to the other old coins.
And fits timeline of actual dates when town (county seat) existed.
August 14, 2016 04:55AM
That's when the fake one were made back then...so just a thought..1820s and 1830s a dime was worth a good bit..

they counterfeited the halves back then in large numbers but also the Dimes were the next to be copied..

look up contemporary fake capped bust dimes fascinating history on them..

here ya go..

just found this

[www.coinworld.com]

Keith

-Nikola Tesla
August 14, 2016 05:08AM
I have no way to tell what it is really..

I'll take it though.

If it is a fake,,,even more rare actually,,if real, still a rare find around here.

Either way,,,I like it.

Boy metal detecting is fun,,,,,,a few weeks ago I dug what looked like at first glance a half dime,,,turned out to be a play dime..lol
Now,,,I may have dug a fake capped bust dime.....

Wonder what's next...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/14/2016 05:42AM by tnsharpshooter.
August 14, 2016 05:39AM
tnsharpshooter Wrote:
> I have no way to tell what it is really..
>
> I'll take it though.
>
> If it is a fake,,,even more rare actually,,if
> real, still a rare find around here.
>
> Either way,,,I like it.

I like it to David.----If you decide you don't want it---shoot, just send it right on out here to me here in OR---I'll take it!grinning smiley
August 14, 2016 05:54AM
D&P-OR Wrote:
> tnsharpshooter Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I have no way to tell what it is really..
> >
> > I'll take it though.
> >
> > If it is a fake,,,even more rare actually,,if
> > real, still a rare find around here.
> >
> > Either way,,,I like it.
>
>
> I like it to David.----If you decide you don't
> want it---shoot, just send it right on out here to
> me here in OR---I'll take it!grinning smiley

I had better hang on to it Del.

Had to work hard for it.

Not done with this site yet either.

More studying of targets in site needs to be done.

I will eventually get this unit down.

Slowly but surely.

This fall and winter,,,will be interesting when I start backtracking where I have been and found some what I think are worthy finds.
August 14, 2016 06:23AM
to tell if it's real or fake: take a small file and file into edge of coin and if it's silver it will show itself (can't hurt it anymore than it is already anyway).

Looks like white metal fake to me as silver doesn't "bubble" and the edge seems to be corroded away/chewed looking (another thing silver doesn't do)

if it is fake = still a cool find as more rare than the real thing grinning smiley
August 14, 2016 10:46AM
Amazes me. Money back then had real worth. Enough so that it was prosperous to counterfeit a 10 cent piece.
August 14, 2016 01:19PM
ozzie Wrote:
> Amazes me. Money back then had real worth. Enough
> so that it was prosperous to counterfeit a 10 cent
> piece.

And you can send all your worthless modern money to me. I'll pay the postage. Just PM me.

What is real worth? Is it a meaningful concept or just illusionary? Money is a medium of exchange. Part of the equation is "what can I get for it (say ten cents)?" But another part is "what do I have to do to get it (say 10 cents) in the first place?"

I'm not an economist and I'll prove it with a crude example that attempts to show that the cost of commodities and the value of money stays relatively flat over time.

1830s, a nickel probably buys you a loaf of bread. You make $10 a week. .05/10=.0050
2016, that loaf of bread is $2.50. You make $500/week. 2.50/500=.0050

My question is this: In 2013, it cost 1.83 cents to make and distribute a US penny. What did it cost to make and distribute a US penny in the 1830s? (No, I don't have the answer.)

Not to be completely OT with this post, congrats, tnss, on your terrific finds and your thoughtful discourse.

Wayne

Pleasant Garden, NC
AT Max, Nokta Impact, MX Sport, Nokta FORS Relic, GPX 4800, Infinium, Racer, Deus, F75SE, Nautilus DMC II (order of acquisition, last to first)

Does an archeologist argue with a plow? A bureaucrat with a bulldozer?
August 14, 2016 01:57PM
Thanks Wayne and Wayne.
After looking at it some more,,and doing what MRH recommended,,,I think it is a counterfeit.

But I also think it was subjected to heat,,maybe from a house fire due to shape ( rolling bend).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/14/2016 07:18PM by tnsharpshooter.
ozzie, thanks for the PM. Sorry, but I must decline your generous offer <vbg>.

Wayne

Pleasant Garden, NC
AT Max, Nokta Impact, MX Sport, Nokta FORS Relic, GPX 4800, Infinium, Racer, Deus, F75SE, Nautilus DMC II (order of acquisition, last to first)

Does an archeologist argue with a plow? A bureaucrat with a bulldozer?
Nice digs there TNS! smileys with beer

I've only found one bust dime, it's a tough coin to find in California!

hh,
Brian