Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Contemporary counterfeit coins

Posted by tnsharpshooter 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Contemporary counterfeit coins
August 14, 2016 02:24PM
I found this.

Some good info.

Thought I would read up a little on these.

[forums.collectors.com]
Re: Contemporary counterfeit coins
August 14, 2016 03:34PM
Good link, Thanks. Everything must be considered suspect anymore when you dig it up.

Knowledgeable people, even coin magazine writers, still refuse to believe that the Chinese are counterfeiting lower value silver coins (like common date silver dimes) these days. If they would just do a quick Alibaba search, they could stop spreading that nonsense. I have seen common silver dimes (without the word COPY) that are just silver plated for sale on Alibaba for several years now.

Also, to add at least something minimal to this thread, last month I dug up a replica of a 1775 dated 'piece of eight'. I initially thought it was a token as it was badly worn/weathered and very light but later also saw the word 'COPY' on it.
August 14, 2016 04:15PM
Found two Barber quarters in one hole but one was bent...Took to a coin collector and told me the bent one was counterfeit tried to bend it back and snapped in my fingers so indeed fakers were being made as imagine a quarter could buy a lot in that era...
Indeed understand the Chinese make excellent fake bust coins so coin collectors beware...
August 14, 2016 05:01PM
Fake Coins date back to before the Roman times, I found a Genuine Roman fake Coin at a Roman Site, the thing that gave it away was the heavy Silver Plating, it must be about 1600 to 1900 years Old.

John.
August 14, 2016 08:14PM
Living in Canada as a boy I actually got passed a counterfeit quarter. I believe it was some sort of lead alloy. I sure wish I had it now..would be an interesting keepsake.

Anyone else have any experience with 20th century counterfeit coins?

Joe
August 14, 2016 09:21PM
Anybody else dug a fake five dollar gold piece? Mine's dated 1846.

Wayne

Pleasant Garden, NC
AT Max, Nokta Impact, MX Sport, Nokta FORS Relic, GPX 4800, Infinium, Racer, Deus, F75SE, Nautilus DMC II (order of acquisition, last to first)

Does an archeologist argue with a plow? A bureaucrat with a bulldozer?
August 14, 2016 09:27PM
ncwayne Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Anybody else dug a fake five dollar gold piece?
> Mine's dated 1846.
>
> [i1319.photobucket.com]
> 1030143_zpsvq6mbq9p.jpg
>
> [i1319.photobucket.com]
> 1030146_zpswdungk4k.jpg
>
> Wayne

Any idea of the metal content of that beauty??

Maybe that is what is next for me.....knock on wood.
August 14, 2016 09:31PM
I dug a 1 dollar gold coin...

I was on cloud nine for 2 hours.

till rinsed it off and saw it was plated.

Looked about like yours just dollar sized version..

I know your pain!!

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla