Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

CZ 5 Closet queen 661.00!

Posted by Harold,ILL. 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
CZ 5 Closet queen 661.00!
August 14, 2016 08:04PM
I was watching a closet queen CZ 5 on eBay and was shocked to see this morning it sold for 661.00!
It was only took out once seller said and it looked it and had original box but 661.00?
Re: CZ 5 Closet queen 661.00!
August 15, 2016 03:02AM
Hey Harold,

I gotta say that somebody wanted that CZ-5.

The last couple years I decided to get serious about picking up a couple of detectors; a really good CZ and a Sovereign GT. I’ve watched A LOT of Sovereign GT's and CZ's on the-bay as well as a couple of the forums. $661 is the highest price I've seen a CZ-5 go for on the-bay. Typically, I've seen them sell from $250 to more commonly $325, sometimes $350. CZ-6a's are more in demand, especially if they are in good condition. Los Banos CZ-3D's hold a higher value as well. And if the detector had been tuned and calibrated by Tom D, and is a deep machine, you can add $100-150 or more to it. Most of the CZ's I was watching showed standard wear and tear. Some had quite a bit of wear with hazy and scratched meters and housings, torn grips and arm cuffs, cracked battery covers and on and on. Sellers would say, WELL USED, but works great. Looks aren't everything, but it can show if a machine was subject to careless handling or abuse. From what I’ve seen, very few real closet queens come along.

In my searches for a CZ, I missed a couple of good buys on clean machines that were listed on the forums and the-bay that sold within hours of posting. Buy-It-Now seems to be more popular than placing an item on auction. I can't spend 24 hrs a day monitoring the FOR SALE pages. As you know, earlier this year, I rolled the dice on a non-working CZ-6a on the-bay. Cosmetically, it was in great condition. I thought it could be repaired and have an overall expense at, or below, the $350 mark, which was the low end of what the 6a's had been going for. I bought it, and it took a trip to the repair shop to replace a few components, but now I have an excellent CZ-6a at a 'good buy' price.

Over the years I've bought a couple closet queens for above the regular market value. Thus far, I've not been disappointed. How many of us wish we still had such and such a detector that we sold for some reason we don't remember?

Long live the CZ -

Rich (Utah)

------------------------------------------------------------------

Just one more good target before I go.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/18/2016 03:12AM by Gonebeepin'.
August 15, 2016 01:58PM
E-bay is a good sellers market, but poor buyers market....explains the price paid I guess..
As far as closet queen CZ's sold some nice ones over the years at reasonable prices in quests for explorer models and yes sold some dandy Explorer models vice versa.
Part of he hobby I suppose but had a good time using either over the years....Never had the bucks to accumulate a herd unfortunately...
August 15, 2016 10:48PM
I bet those 2 capacitors are shot or close to being shot on that detector