Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

What is the deepest detector AM wise

Posted by tnsharpshooter 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
What is the deepest detector AM wise
August 16, 2016 03:46AM
I am talking about what a person would use to detector for coins, relics, jewelry,,,,not one of the commercial outfits to look for things like water lines etc.

And using say a 9-11" coil size,,not a monster sized coil.
And while I am at it,,,how does frequency affect AM depth.,,and talk about mild soil,,,and higher mineralized soil please.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/16/2016 03:48AM by tnsharpshooter.
Re: What is the deepest detector AM wise
August 16, 2016 08:33AM
tnsharpshooter Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I am talking about what a person would use to
> detector for coins, relics, jewelry,,,,not one of
> the commercial outfits to look for things like
> water lines etc.
>
> And using say a 9-11" coil size,,not a monster
> sized coil.
> And while I am at it,,,how does frequency affect
> AM depth.,,and talk about mild soil,,,and higher
> mineralized soil please.

5khz works very well in Low min soil and it behaves very well in hot ground too,

14khz will hit Coins at 12 to 15"+/-, I seen them coming out at 13.5 inches with the 12 coil on the MXT 300 and hitting coins is easy at 12+ inches with the 950 coil.

And I hit a 2" Toy Soldier at 17" with the Sovereign GT and the 10" BBS coil and it was a good signal in the DISC Mode.

But In All Metal they would have all come out up to 6" deeper maybe more,

I am sure bigger coils would make a difference,

John
August 16, 2016 11:53AM
It is possible to take a detector running in discrimination mode and set it to accept all targets. You are now running with zero discrimination, and the detector now sounds off on all targets. The problem is that some detector manufacturers are labeling this zero discrimination mode as an "all metal" mode since all metals are being detected.

Unfortunately, you have not really turned off the discrimination. A true all metal mode employs no filtering at all, it directly reports a target. In zero discrimination the target is still being filtered, but you are telling the machine to report all filtered targets as good targets. The bad news is you still are losing depth and sensitivity compared to the true all metal mode.
August 16, 2016 12:13PM
I have a White's late model 5900 CB, it has a true threshold based all metal that is very deep, The gain setting on this model affects the all metal channel , along with the stacked 10 turn ground balance, it is one of the deepest hobby detectors ever made.
August 16, 2016 12:33PM
Hombre Wrote:
> I have a White's late model 5900 CB, it has a true
> threshold based all metal that is very deep, The
> gain setting on this model affects the all metal
> channel , along with the stacked 10 turn ground
> balance, it is one of the deepest hobby detectors
> ever made.

Yeah I just bought a brand new one never been used still in it's original box with the manual mine is the Blue Box 5900Di Pro Plus with the 950 Coil, heaven forbid if I stick that 15" Coil on it, They do have some serious power. I phoned Whites and they said it was made in July 1989.

John.
August 16, 2016 12:36PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/16/2016 12:36PM by ghound.
August 16, 2016 01:13PM
I have no experience with it, but I've always heard that Garrett's GTI 2500 was the deepest all metal unit.

Again, just hearsy for me.

HH
Mike
August 16, 2016 02:04PM
Will Penny Wrote:
> It is possible to take a detector running in
> discrimination mode and set it to accept all
> targets. You are now running with zero
> discrimination, and the detector now sounds off on
> all targets. The problem is that some detector
> manufacturers are labeling this zero
> discrimination mode as an "all metal" mode since
> all metals are being detected.
>
> Unfortunately, you have not really turned off the
> discrimination. A true all metal mode employs no
> filtering at all, it directly reports a target. In
> zero discrimination the target is still being
> filtered, but you are telling the machine to
> report all filtered targets as good targets. The
> bad news is you still are losing depth and
> sensitivity compared to the true all metal mode.

Hey Will, i think copying my writing verbatim and posting it as your own says a lot about you. At least have the courtesy to credit an author when you violate copyright laws. Or post a link to the stolen material [www.detectorprospector.com]
August 16, 2016 02:24PM
I rarely if at all Hunt in all metal, But outta' what I have used.
I would say XL-PRO and Nautilus IIB, IIBa Detectors.
August 16, 2016 02:57PM
Well speaking from experience my deepest silver dime was had at 13-14 inches and to beat it all gave a perfect dime reading on my GTI-2500 which ID's in all metal to back up Mike Hillis post....Considering I used various models of CZ's and Explorers quite an accomplishment I would think. However too big and boxy for my style of hunting..
I would say ground was moderate in this hunt...
August 16, 2016 02:58PM

Hey Will, i think copying my writing verbatim and posting it as your own says a lot about you. At least have the courtesy to credit an author when you violate copyright laws. Or post a link to the stolen material [www.detectorprospector.com]

Oops, busted!
August 16, 2016 03:28PM
Steve Herschbach Wrote:
> Will Penny Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > It is possible to take a detector running in
> > discrimination mode and set it to accept all
> > targets. You are now running with zero
> > discrimination, and the detector now sounds off
> on
> > all targets. The problem is that some detector
> > manufacturers are labeling this zero
> > discrimination mode as an "all metal" mode
> since
> > all metals are being detected.
> >
> > Unfortunately, you have not really turned off
> the
> > discrimination. A true all metal mode employs
> no
> > filtering at all, it directly reports a target.
> In
> > zero discrimination the target is still being
> > filtered, but you are telling the machine to
> > report all filtered targets as good targets.
> The
> > bad news is you still are losing depth and
> > sensitivity compared to the true all metal
> mode.
>
> Hey Will, i think copying my writing verbatim and
> posting it as your own says a lot about you. At
> least have the courtesy to credit an author when
> you violate copyright laws. Or post a link to the
> stolen material
> [www.detectorprospector.com]
> -guides/steves-guide-metal-detector-mixed-modes.ht
> m

Well,

At least I want to thank the proper person for the good read.

Thanks Steve...
August 16, 2016 03:36PM
???.

John.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/16/2016 03:43PM by auminesweeper.
August 16, 2016 03:38PM
Maybe I should have stated,,,deepest on a dime.
August 16, 2016 03:42PM
???

John.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/16/2016 03:45PM by auminesweeper.
August 16, 2016 05:36PM
Deepest on coin size I've used is non-DST F75 in boosted all metal. Also AT Gold. Both 14-16" with 11" coil.
August 16, 2016 06:12PM
The biggest issue I see with this is there are so many factors that can affect perceived vs actual depth. I was reading something OBN said on a forum that when he tested the Excal in a quiet room it could air test much much deeper than when he could get in any other environment, which is why he has spent a lot of time improving audio of the excal...the machine was detecting much deeper than we were capable of hearing with the earphones it had. So I wonder how something like a bad set of ear phones could affect perceived depth of a machine? When the depth its capable of is much more? And audio is just one part of it.

Just as an example...

I ran a test in my yard with the CZ21, Excal, and DF...

The CZ21 and Excal could air test the quarter at 11 in their AM modes. The DF got about 10 inches. When I put the quarter into the ground none could detect it at 12'' or 10''. At 8'' you could very possibly get a whisper on all 3 but I think its just because I knew the quarter was there. At 6 inches all could get it. This was a freshly buried target which makes a big difference compared to one that is grounded. My soil was a mixture of dirt/sand about 1 mile off the nc coast.

I air tested both the CZ and Excal a few weeks later in the same spot and could easily get around 13inches with a quarter. A solid 2 inch difference. I wonder if there was some background noise, emf, etc causing the 11 inches I had gotten just a few weeks prior? I didn't change the settings or anything and it was both units. But it just goes to show how depth is an interesting thing to test on a detector...

> It is possible to take a detector running in
> discrimination mode and set it to accept all
> targets. You are now running with zero
> discrimination, and the detector now sounds off on
> all targets. The problem is that some detector
> manufacturers are labeling this zero
> discrimination mode as an "all metal" mode since
> all metals are being detected.
>
> Unfortunately, you have not really turned off the
> discrimination. A true all metal mode employs no
> filtering at all, it directly reports a target. In
> zero discrimination the target is still being
> filtered, but you are telling the machine to
> report all filtered targets as good targets. The
> bad news is you still are losing depth and
> sensitivity compared to the true all metal mode.

This would be the CTX. I wonder what all metal would be like on that machine.

Nox600, CTX, CZ21, Excal II and White's DF with 920i stealthscoop...I live and hunt at the beach in Wilm NCsmiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/16/2016 06:13PM by adamBomb.
August 16, 2016 06:19PM
Whites 5900 Di Sl Pro..

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
August 16, 2016 06:22PM
Sorry that happened Steve ..

Yet...And maybe and this is usually the way I look at it... maybe the guy was just providing a quick answer through google search and a re-paste...???

Usually I have to remind myself its just detecting..smileys with beer

Ive edited my original post to be less passionate about my thoughts on the matter...

Ive learned to look at thing's more Like my Tesla (QUOTE) signature at the bottom..

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/16/2016 08:36PM by Keith Southern.
August 16, 2016 07:04PM
When on deep pasture sites i would use my 'Nexus Standard SE' with the dual 9'' coil on,in discriminate mode its crazy deep but in AM mode it must be up with the top players depth wise,i wont mention any depths but its possible that its in the GPX territory with a stock coil and possibly deeper.They also do a dual 20'' coil for the same Nexus model,that is of course out side of the open posters stock coil size but i doubt that many if any non Pulse machine could reach the depth with that big coil,of course it would be no good for single coins but only artifacts and hoards at depth.
August 16, 2016 07:17PM
I have to agree on the Whites 5900 in all metal. The Whites 4 filter Detectors have always been great performers in disc. mode also in bad ground. The Compass vari-filter detectors also work well. The Gold Scanner Pro is a near twin to the 5900 in performance in bad ground but with the higher 13.77 Khz has the edge in the lower conductive range.
August 16, 2016 07:30PM
Another thread heading for the Crapper,

John.
August 16, 2016 10:43PM
auminesweeper Wrote:
> Another thread heading for the Crapper,
>
> John.

???.
Great thread, so far.
I don't hunt in AM much except to check iffy deep targets. Do you guys hunt in AM a lot?

Dean
August 16, 2016 11:37PM
bado1 Wrote:
> auminesweeper Wrote:
> -----
> > Another thread heading for the Crapper,
> >
> > John.
>
>
> ???.
> Great thread, so far.
> I don't hunt in AM much except to check iffy deep
> targets. Do you guys hunt in AM a lot?

I hunt in auto tuned (motion) all metal in plowed fields when looking for a building site long gone. I do this type of search with a bigger coil than my usual sniper coils for my machines, when I get into a ferrous trash zone I can switch up with a smaller coil to sift through the iron junk. I am also a big fan of static all metal for defining the shape and depth of a found target while working in the Disc. mode.
August 17, 2016 12:02AM
Awesome. Thanks, Hombre. I'll give it a go.

Dean
August 17, 2016 02:04AM
I use an f-75 ltd mostly these days. All metal on the machine I have is pretty darn deep. I have to pick and choose when and where to use it....according to the ground and terrain, oh yea, if I'm slightly on the lazy side that day, in the pasture, I'll go with 0 disc 4 tone, cranked up for old coinage. The f-75 is a very sensitive unit using all metal, very tricky.

In an area with high possibilities of old coins, a waver (that's not from ground changes or from bumping stalks) in the threshold is getting dug. My soil here has it's difficulties, 3 & 4 bars usually so I can hear down to 9, 10 inches if there is no emi silent or not and all conditions are perfect.

I also use a 1021 cz in 0 disc for field work......If I was smart I would try max sens in am with the cz in the field but I'm pretty sure disc mode is deeper on this unit. Also, if I were smart, I would do more testing in the garden but I'd rather kill 2 birds in the fields/homestead sites.....finding goodies and learning at the same time, yea boy!

I don't get out as much as in the past.....I have to start taking Rod-man up on his offers and invites....he's digging up some nice finds.
August 17, 2016 06:20AM
bado1 Wrote:
> auminesweeper Wrote:
> -----
> > Another thread heading for the Crapper,
> >
> > John.
>
>
> ???.
> Great thread, so far.
> I don't hunt in AM much except to check iffy deep
> targets. Do you guys hunt in AM a lot?
>
> Dean

I don't know anyone who does hunt in all metal I tried it once and I covered no more than 20 feet in a day, It is impossible to use it due to the amounts of Iron junk from the past 4000+ years, It is like detecting in a Blacksmiths shop, I would love to use the AM mode but it is soul destroying here.

John.
August 17, 2016 09:34AM
I really like the depth in all metal on the AT-GOLD and Teknetics T2 as a bonus they both give ID numbers of the target under the soil.
August 17, 2016 09:47AM
88junior Wrote:
> I really like the depth in all metal on the
> AT-GOLD and Teknetics T2 as a bonus they both give
> ID numbers of the target under the soil.

The trouble is that after say 8'' TID become basically useless and unreliable.audio is of course more reliable at greater depth,i guess that is the main reason i dont use the control on my Deus,if i relied on just the TID then i could miss targets,but the audio will still give me a dig-no dig signal.I do carry the controller in my pocket to make alterations to the setting but never use it on the rod.

I also mainly use the T2 as a audio only machine at depth,if i am using the SEF15x12 coil on deep pasture then the screen is once again basically useless as well,but audio still comes through strong,of course we all use our detectors differently,so i can only speak on how i use mine.
August 17, 2016 01:17PM
auminesweeper Wrote:
> bado1 Wrote:
> -----
> > auminesweeper Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > Another thread heading for the Crapper,
> > >
> > > John.
> >
> >
> > ???.
> > Great thread, so far.
> > I don't hunt in AM much except to check iffy
> deep
> > targets. Do you guys hunt in AM a lot?
> >
> > Dean
>
> I don't know anyone who does hunt in all metal I
> tried it once and I covered no more than 20 feet
> in a day, It is impossible to use it due to the
> amounts of Iron junk from the past 4000+ years, It
> is like detecting in a Blacksmiths shop, I would
> love to use the AM mode but it is soul destroying
> here.
>
> John.

That was my initial thought as well, John. I can see where it would be useful in certain situations. I mainly hunt relics in iron infested areas so it wouldn't work most of the time. Hombre brought up a good point re sizing of targets though. "Soul destroying"....I love it!