Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

OK Got the MX Sport on the way..the newest one..smiling smiley

Posted by Keith Southern 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
OK Got the MX Sport on the way..the newest one..smiling smiley
August 29, 2016 02:16AM
Figure I've gave it enough time to get right..

Supposedly new software and new type faceplate is the upgrade..

I'll give it a Good rundown in multiple sites ...and even going to the Ocean at end of Sept for a week..

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/29/2016 02:22AM by Keith Southern.
Re: OK Got the MX Sport on the way..the newest one..smiling smiley
August 29, 2016 03:22AM
Awesome. I'm looking forward to this machine.
August 29, 2016 05:24AM
Great! I'm especially interested in how it performs at the beach. ( This is my first.post to this forum. Well, I had to start somewhere..) LOL
August 29, 2016 09:41AM
I have no intentions of patting myself on my back. I made a few posts on here commending Whites for doing the right thing. After all I was raised on their units. From a blue box with 4B coil, the Spectrum, The XLT, and I currently have a Dual Field that I am eager to try. Again I don't want to turn this into a bashing thread. Rumors are just that. Rumors. But if they have new software should they not make that announcement? I am sure there are some MX Sport people out there that would love to have new software. The face plates I can see the deal. If yours has cracks send it in. But a software upgrade is very significant. Again I don't own an MX Sport and never will because I don't have the need for one. I hope that Whites and their MX Sport customers reach a mutual satisfaction. Maybe an announcement was made and I am just unaware of it.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/29/2016 09:44AM by goodmore.
August 29, 2016 11:27AM
Well,
I will be watching Keith's comments,,,especially on the relic mode.

To see if his unit seems to act like mine.
August 29, 2016 03:18PM
Looking forward to the review Keith,

Here on West Coast, most single frequency VLF fail miserably on our ocean wet sand. Depending on your ocean wet sand, the MX Sport may not do so well. But I hear East Coastal wet sand is more forgiving, who knows?

The Infinium and BBS will have the edge over single frequency in ocean wet sand out West, curious to hear how your sand does.

Paul
August 29, 2016 03:32PM
That will be good to here. I hope Whites got bugs worked out as always had a soft spot for American made Whites detector's.
August 29, 2016 06:33PM
That's good news Keith, hope it's a keeper for you, with the neg feedback and teething probs did you ask for a bit of discount?
August 29, 2016 08:57PM
"a bit of a discount" - White's should be paying for the privilege

[www.earthscan.co.nz]
August 29, 2016 10:27PM
Unless you are only dry sand hunting at the Ocean you will be wasting your time.
August 30, 2016 12:40AM
GreenMeanie Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Unless you are only dry sand hunting at the Ocean
> you will be wasting your time.

Not exactly true. Will it compare to a PI- no. I used mine on the wet sand last week south of Daytona and found several coins in the 5-7 inch range. Beach is badly sanded in so targets were few and far between. In the water, the detector overloads- have to turn the sens down to about 3 but you will still get some depth at that setting. I do not typically hunt in the water on the Atlantic side- usually too rough.
August 30, 2016 12:54AM
Mine ran suprisingly better than I thought at OBX in the wet sand. Had to manually adjust GB and back off sensitivity but it'll hunt. Maybe the 950 coil would fare better, like on a DFX?
August 30, 2016 04:50AM
I should also add the 6x10 DD coil will be coming with the MXS and also the Whites waterproof headset..

I'm actually happy the 6x10 is an optional coil...as that as Y'all Know is my bread and butter coil on alot of unit's..and Whites builds a Fine 6x10...

I can tell alot more about a machine in terms of quirks and nuances with a tighter/smaller than stock coil...I learned along time ago to never dismiss a unit till some different coils were installed ..it's that important...coils make and break units..Hard to evaluate a unit in trash handling with larger coils especially big round ones..Also helps me see how well the large stock coil handles mineral compared to a elliptical coil in my harsh soil..

I will also be in the Gulf Late next month instead of the Atlantic so pretty good chance it will run in that water...the AT-Pro and CoRe and Relic and Racers run well in that surf...So it's not too extreme..The tell tale will be if its runnable how sensitive it is to lower conductors when balanced to Salt...the Relic is the most sensitive I've seen to low conductors when balanced to Salt so should be a good test...Also Another reason I wanted the 6x10..I have the 5.5x10 on the Relic and to keep things even this optional coil on the Sport will help me immensely in all aspects of IF there's Eye Opener's and also to keep the playing fields level!..

Will be a few days to weed through it before I say anything so if I'm silent Hold tight..LOL..

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
August 30, 2016 08:47AM
Keith,
One thing that most everyone agrees on is the modulated audio is/was crap. I think a lot of audio issues stem from it not working. You should be able to check this in the first 5 minutes of testing. Both of mine had zero separation between a nail and coin. I mean they had to be apart 6 plus inches before the coin was seen. If these 2 issues are fixed I would consider another one.

Kenny
[www.youtube.com]
August 30, 2016 09:31AM
WOW six inches needed? That's pretty bad by today's standards.
August 30, 2016 03:44PM
My MX Sport came back from Whites and works great. Great separation. A dime with nail on each side it with 1" or less separation no problem.
August 30, 2016 04:24PM
And no cracks in face plate!
August 30, 2016 07:06PM
Good feedback fellas..

Wish I had an old one to compare to, but don't wish I had tried the old one if you get my drift... LOL..

Keith

-Nikola Tesla
August 30, 2016 08:51PM
Frank in NH Wrote:
> My MX Sport came back from Whites and works great.
> Great separation. A dime with nail on each side it
> with 1" or less separation no problem.

My Whites can get a bit closer, But really any machine that can get within a couple of inches is doing well,

I am expecting good things to come of this, If it does need any minor tweaks Whites will be Hot on the Case, This past month or so Whites have been moving mountains with their products and Web Site and their Forum and they have Souped up their Customer service too, leaving no stone unturned, So you can rest easy because they will be there every step of the way.

@ KEITH, Keith can't wait for your warts and all Review on this upgrade, In one way it is a shame that you never got to use the first version, But saying In that maybe it is better not to have your judgement Clouded by the past, Which is a Good thing,

Well done Keith, your a good sport.

John.
August 30, 2016 11:38PM
Maybe should add some clarification - I think I found the thread by Keith Southern about getting a new MX Sport. It has likely been upgraded by repair (hand-assembled). Not fresh off the assembly line, but retro-fitted with the upgraded parts in the repair shop. That's not the same as full-scale production, which requires a more complicated process to turn out a large volume of units vs. hand-repairing ones that come back. I will PM him for further details to get more info...

Id check your not paying out for a 2nd hand unit someone has returned for repair Keith?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/31/2016 06:15AM by ghound.
September 01, 2016 03:08PM
I went the opposite direction Keith.

I bought that Blue/Gray Pro that was on eBay. I'm sure you probably seen it. There is also a 5900 on there for a good price right now; actually about $25 cheaper than the B/G Pro was. I almost bought it but the Blue/Grey Pro had a new bill of health from Whites and had a new rod, grip, and arm cuff put on it. I figured that was worth the difference in price.

Talking about old school; now my only two detectors will be a Sovereign Elite and Whites Blue/Gray Pro. I'm reliving the 1990s. Hahah.
September 01, 2016 05:13PM
tboykin states that production of the MXS has not resumed. By definition, the best one could hope for would be a reconditioned factory second. Hand-assembled, upgraded, updated, whatever word or phrase would be chosen is the same. Since no new ones have been made in updated configuration, they will either be factory seconds or returns if gotten from the factory, and could be anything if gotten somewhere else. The real unfortunate part of that is for people who would buy these detectors from a dealer without knowing that. But hey, free hat if it is junk.

The beauty of this thread will be what Keith makes of it after his testing. He puts out good information, and seems to be able to push detectors to limits few can. He will cut through the deception and obfuscation when the coil hits the dirt. Thank you Keith, you are a good sport indeed.
September 01, 2016 05:31PM
Daniel Tn Wrote:
> I went the opposite direction Keith.
>
> I bought that Blue/Gray Pro that was on eBay. I'm
> sure you probably seen it. There is also a 5900
> on there for a good price right now; actually
> about $25 cheaper than the B/G Pro was. I almost
> bought it but the Blue/Grey Pro had a new bill of
> health from Whites and had a new rod, grip, and
> arm cuff put on it. I figured that was worth the
> difference in price.
>
> Talking about old school; now my only two
> detectors will be a Sovereign Elite and Whites
> Blue/Gray Pro. I'm reliving the 1990s. Hahah.
Hey Daniel, Was that the one with the Coin meter instead of relic meter? If so that was sweet. If I didn't have a XL-PRO would have been all over it!
September 01, 2016 06:03PM
Welcome essl. Good first post. How about telling us about yourself.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/01/2016 10:10PM by SeabeeRon.
September 01, 2016 06:16PM
Harold -- This one had the relic face plate in it. I didn't see the other one; somebody must have grabbed it up before I started looking. Don had a 5900 at North GA Relics a month or so ago that I would have bought in a heartbeat had I of had the extra cash on me at the time. It came with the pancake 950 coil and a Royal 800 coil for $300 asking price. It wasn't a closet queen but not abused either.
September 01, 2016 06:41PM
Hope she treats you well Daniel that's a killer as you know. Most of our dirt is good and those bad boys are DEEEEP. Don't care too much about the way a machine looks usually but with the relic faceplate and flags on the box it doesn't get much cooler than a blue and grey.
September 01, 2016 06:55PM
Yes you gotta' Love that Confederate Flag on the side along with the USA one! I always like that look to.
Of course they probably couldn't do that Nowaday's with all the Libby's out there.
September 01, 2016 07:59PM
Daniel Tn Wrote:
> Harold -- This one had the relic face plate in it.
> I didn't see the other one; somebody must have
> grabbed it up before I started looking. Don had a
> 5900 at North GA Relics a month or so ago that I
> would have bought in a heartbeat had I of had the
> extra cash on me at the time. It came with the
> pancake 950 coil and a Royal 800 coil for $300
> asking price. It wasn't a closet queen but not
> abused either.

Here is the one I bought, Mine is the 5900Di Pro Plus NOT the Coinmaster. I called Whites and it was made In July 1989, So it is 27 years old.

John.

[www.ebay.co.uk]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/01/2016 08:03PM by auminesweeper.
September 01, 2016 09:29PM
Pretty sweet!
September 03, 2016 10:57PM
I've tested the MX Sport and decided to leave it alone..

Got my money back..

Not my required unit ...

I don't want to tie my money up in it for its not what I require/Need.

There seems to be no problems with the recovery speed with the stock coil...very quick..actually works well for size....

I wanted the unit to be a MXT waterproofed and it is not that to me...

I still want to see a MXT lightened up and waterproof ...

The Unit to me for some reason I just felt disconnected from it..

The relic mode is the most important mode to me on the MXT which is a real dual mode...and the MXT dual mode feels very much like a Smooth running threshold based all metal mode with a disc circuit in unison...for some reason the relic mode on the MX Sport TO ME felt like more of a threshold based disc mode..I didn't get that real two separate channels feel like I do on the MXT..The allmetal seems weak or anemic barely hotter than the disc side..And the disc side just didn't SLAP targets with gusto like the MXT does..

I not saying it's a bad unit and for some it may be a great unit ..but since I was buying it for a purpose ..WATERPROOF MXT..I didn't find that to meet the Purpose..

Does handle mineral well...Seems to have average to above average depth in my soil..yet I find the MXT to be Hotter in the Relic mode ..especially on the all metal side..The MXT is very intuitive and CONVEYING in its audio in the RELIC Mode...easy to pick out those whispers out past the disc depth..and gives that feel of I'm using two detectors at once like a Nautilus..but again I don't get that Buttery smooth all metal feel that CONVEYS out of range depth to me..

Of all the modes the Coin Je mode felt the most NORMAL to me for this UNIT...But On a MXT I don't like the Coin and Je Mode..so Go figure..

In iron trash the unit seems to be very well behaved in terms of falsing...even with say a Sen's of 7/8..it goes to 10 but 10 in my soil is a no go..very chattery in that setting..BUT IT SHOULD BE AS IT'S THE BOOST MODE>>

I would like to see the ability to break tone to my liking especially in the iron range and turn on VCO for disc mode at least when in 2 tones..

unit is hot on coins even deep ones for a 14khz unit..AT PRO shows the same affinity on 15khz..hot on coins for such a high freq unit..
Unit does not waste alot of time on the smaller stuff some of the hyper gain until have an affinity for..like small cut brass and foil and .22 shell's..its more of a coin snagger in iron and or larger brass and buttons and such..seems to be a good Nickle on up unit when in iron for unmasking...

Unit reminds me of a MX5 with features added on..

Seem's very digitized..where as the MXT seems very analog ..and I guess it is...

I also notice on even low power the modulation does not seem to work till the last bit of depth when it's on..

I also wish the VCO mode did not change HZ pitch...instead I would like it to just change the amplitude of the modulations base Hz tone of the VCO threshold....loud sound loud weak sound weak but maintain the same HZ tone..it becomes confusing when it's combined with the disc tones in the combined modes..a shallow nail sound like a silver dime in the center of the threshold peak...but combine that with say relic mode disc and I cant hear the actual disc report iron tone....

Now these are just thing's I see and does not mean its a bad unit ..its just things that stuck out to me and for purpose of what I needed it did not fit..

I just relic hunt mainly and I cant say what it will or wont do in modern trash and such ..I did like the Coin mode the best and had good I.D.s. very accurate..

Not thrilled with the handle angle and grip..Nose heavy...a pistol grip would feel better with that size coil..

Coil is very 21st century looking..And even acting..Very tight for size..Robust yet light for size...butterbowl lid coil cover like on the AT Pros..light flexible and impact resistant..

I'd like that coil on a MXT..

Nice battery compartment uses same type setup the Infimum uses ..even same battery holder..off the shelf type so easy to find..

I like the batteries are separate from the housing...

Armrest seems a little wobbly.even when really tightened down..

All in all its a VLF you can use in the water with a ton of feature sets..and very emi resilient..

This One to me just doesn't have a Identity FOR ME..A DNA that set's it apart in the ever expanding arena of machines available..

To me a whites has always felt like Whites for my whole life of detecting starting with the old blue boxes of old...this one is DIFFERENT..is it a bad thing or a NEW PATH??

One thing that disconnects it more than anything from the Whites heritage line. is the allmetal threshold based mode..WHITES has always RULED the world with that MODE of spectacular SMOOTHNESS..This one is not there...

I like the 5900 the 6000 the MXT all metal modes the XLT etc...those modes were and are STELLLAR...I wonder if those bog box all metal modes are double in small box digital??

The unit will make finds and the unit will do multi purpose...I wish all great rewards with it...

I did not use the unit extensively as I did not want to get it dirty for refund..So some things I noticed could be off base or set up wrong?? I had the coil wrapped up to keep it clean..All in allit boils down to It doesn't fill a slot for me in my arsenal..maybe a future whites will..

Im open to any type discussion on the unit...

O yeah I liked the select volume control for different target ranges.helps alot in high target areas...

Keith

-Nikola Tesla