Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Back to the Sovereign

Posted by Apolonio (CA) 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Back to the Sovereign
August 29, 2016 03:36AM
Several months ago, made a few changes with my Sovereign using a Patriot Meter. Been using the Patriot meter a few year's, made some changes back then but always wanted to streamline the Meter assembly and remount the meter circuit board inside the rear housing.

The outcome was terrific, no excess coil cable's connected to Meter. The coil cable plugs directly to the rear housing, the only connection from meter to rear housing are a thin 2-wire connection using a plug and this wire runs inside the handle exiting near the control box. This allows the control box to still detach, this is what I wish Minelab would consider on future BBS.

The Patriot Meter is analog, the unit is well balanced. Thought I would share this mod completed several months ago.

I see Keith, Daniel and several others have creations of their own, well done gang maybe Minelab will get the hint and take notice BBS is still alive

Paul (CA)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/02/2016 07:14PM by Apolonio (CA).
Re: Back to the Sovereign
August 29, 2016 04:22AM
Looks like another fine job Paul.
August 29, 2016 04:45AM
Great looking unit.----You really do fine work Paul.
August 29, 2016 07:13AM
That is a really lovely conversion,is that the same one that you had on Findsmall or another one,love seeing your various projects.
August 29, 2016 02:12PM
Nice looking Paul.thumbs down
August 29, 2016 03:05PM
Thanks David, D&P-OR, Mega and El,

This has been a fun Detector to use these past few months, once in a while take her out to school fields and an old park near my job. Prefer using the elliptical DD for Gold jewelry hunting, but for deeper coins the 10" coil is deeper.

Mega, yes I posted this on Findmal and another forum when the mod was completed. Wish Minelab would consider upgrading BBS, it can be done. I'll enclose a close up pic of the meter assembly, the housing is from a gutted XLT.

El, was thinking of mounting this on a Mars shaft but maybe later in the year. Have a couple of Mars shafts currently the GPX is on one of them. Nice feel to these new shafts, solid well made shafts I'll show you these next time we get out for a hunt.

Also, just registered last night after a break from the forum. Tried using my old name but couldn't get it to register, guess it's due to my banding myself from the forum. I asked Tom and other forum owner's to band me from their forums, needed a break so I completely walked away from many good forums to focus on priorities.

Thanks again everyone smiling smiley
Paul

August 29, 2016 08:00PM
Nice looking unit. I had a few Sovereigns where Joe Patrick put a meter in the speaker hole for me. I wish I would have kept one of those.
August 30, 2016 12:59AM
That looks great Paul (great to see you back on the forum too BTW!).

You always do a great job modding machines into how they should've come from the factory, you have a real knack for customizing detectors into a very serviceable device.

Still would like to test my Racer1/2 out at one of your tough sites, they've been doing really well everywhere I've taken them so far (even Tom Tanner has raised an eyebrow, and that's saying a lot!).

hh,
Brian
August 30, 2016 04:53AM
As always Paul..thumbs down

I think we may see something in NEW BBS in the future according to Mr. Dunne..

Too good of technology to forget about..

Quarter of a century old and still relevant..and Productive..Plus has its own DNA like no other..

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
jrk
August 30, 2016 12:18PM
Very nice! Would love to find a used, or new, Sov to try out.
August 30, 2016 08:08PM
Great looking mod Paul. You have talent and a great eye for detail. Thanks for sharing...Stuart
September 02, 2016 07:27PM
Thanks goodmore, Brian, Keith, jrk and Stuart,

Finally had a chance to log on, appreciate everyone's comments, patience and support. For park hunting or ocean wet sand, Sovereign is hard to beat it'll still hold it's own. But in inland mineralization, it doesn't fare well on West Coast soil especially for relic hunting.

I've added a picture of the Patriot Meter circuit board mounted inside the GT housing, surprisingly the mini board fits inside and is soldered directly to the Sov GT board. Also, of the several Sovereign models I've owned the GT appears to have a slight edge on smaller targets, great for Gold jewelry.

Brian, Yes indeed one of these days well get together. Have a few new sights I'm currently working on, a couple look promising.

Thanks again smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/02/2016 07:28PM by Apolonio (CA).