Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Getting beyond 10" in mineralised ground

Posted by ghound 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Getting beyond 10" in mineralised ground
September 05, 2016 09:38AM
Anyone running a detector that can get a clean hit beyond 10" in med/high mineralised ground in disc?
Reason i ask is that i can get to the average plough depth of 10" but i really want to find what's beneath that layer that has not been disturbed in centuries!
Re: Getting beyond 10" in mineralised ground
September 05, 2016 11:31AM
No, not clean hit at 10 around here....I can coax one with my cz, but that's in the test bed. Yes, that and deeper.... would be new hunting grounds for us.
September 05, 2016 11:52AM
I'm jealous. I can't get clean hits at 10 inches in mildly mineralised ground.
Tell us your secret. Multi-frequency Australian machine?
September 05, 2016 12:07PM
A couple of option that could help,a Nexus Standard MP the MP standing for 'Mineral Power' which offers not only massive depth but discrimination and usuable in high mineral ground condition,the 2nd option is using a TDI Pro or GPX these not only offer pretty amazing depth and just cut through mineral soil like a hot knife through butter but also both these PI machines 'do' offer some form of discrimination albeit not in the same league as a VLF machine.

Some VLF machines handle bad soil better than other,usually multi freq ones are better at achieving this,just a few suggestions,one does have too take into account the cost/usage/reward ratio into account though.
September 05, 2016 12:48PM
Junk, i had been looking at the nexus mp and also the latest axa signum, but it's hard to find solid video evidence in english that confirms they can do as they say to be spending the money thay are asking?
September 05, 2016 01:53PM
ghound Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Junk, i had been looking at the nexus mp and also
> the latest axa signum, but it's hard to find solid
> video evidence in english that confirms they can
> do as they say to be spending the money thay are
> asking?

The Signum is a beast for sure but cannot comment about how well it copes with high mineral content,but the MP does have the special extra circuitry specifically for that job,i do use a Nexus SE and its deep on pasture,wont quote any depth figures but it pretty amazing at what it can do,finding that i am just using 2 machines these days the Deus for everyday use and the Nexus for pasture.

But its like most things,the more you put into learning a machine the more it will reward you finds wise.
September 05, 2016 02:20PM
Wish I could get a clean hit on med/high mineralized ground with discrimination, the only VLF I have that can do that is a Blisstool v6 and even then it encounters some masking. But, if it's Coin size it'll get the target. Anything smaller, mineralization creates masking so smaller targets are hard to get at any depth.

I hear you going beyond plow depth, that's new territory untouched by plow. I have a couple of sites similar to yours, here's a secret and it's not a secret for those already using this approach. Hunt with all metal mode, AT Gold, MXT, MX Sport to name a few. These are good detectors in my soil using all metal, You'll improve your odds of getting targets below plow depth going all metal. I've tried other Detectors, some with good results and some terrible in any mode. You'll have to find what works in your soil, from there it's hard going back to discrimination.

Pi is probably the better solution, if I'm not using an all metal detector my GPX is my favorite. Punches down far beyond VLF, but its an expensive tool.

Give all-metal a try, think you'll be amazed with the results.

Paul
September 05, 2016 04:09PM
On some of the quieter pastures i was thinking of using a pi and marking the signals in the ground, then going over the signals a second time with a vlf and digging whatever signals the vlf couldn't hit?
September 05, 2016 04:16PM
One possible cheap option that will not only cut through the mineral ground conditions and also give you some extra depth as well,it is a PI machine but the C-Scope 4pi is a very affordable machine brand new,trouble is the down side it does not have any discrimination,but for occasional use then its un-touchable price wise for a new machine,also it can used on the beach as well.I think the price for a new one is about £280 give or take.
September 05, 2016 04:25PM
Sounds like a plan Junk!
I've walked behind a tractor before as it was ploughing and ran the coil allong the furrow, it gives me about another 10" in depth lol and ive found items so i know there's deep stuff there!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/05/2016 04:30PM by ghound.
September 05, 2016 05:19PM
That will be tough..

10 inches seems to be the mineral barrier..

And one of the reasons I always test a 10 inch dime in my soil in the videos..

Notice the 9 is possible dig me on alot of machines but the 10 on all machines seems to be no I.D. and or chopped report on disc..To this day the F75 seems to be the best at a 10 inch dime on my soil..HMMMMMM??

This is where combined modes will help you like a MXT uses....I would say nautilus Too..but it blows back too much in bad soil on the metal side to benefit use in bad mineral..also the all metal modes of a black box 5900 di sl pro C.B. board will help you in bad dirt as it runs on 4 filters and while it uses a Concentric coil it can handle the mineral that 4 filter allows..listen to the allmetal for tightness...coins are small iron is huge or nails are wobbly sounding...and as a plus the analog meter will work on all metal and it can give clues to DEEEPIES

also a F75 in all metal mode...still I.D.s although most deep goodies will read 12 in bad soil...

Now here's a something to consider on the newest offerings of late also...especially on a good modulated audio unit in disc mode..And what I find myself adapting to more and more in the last decade..

And I've mentioned it a million times...the iron tone....on the right units it is very telling...plus we have the pleasure of hearing the targets below the disc setting of the machine...

So we can concentrate on deep tight ROUND iron reports..just a scrape of the foot sometimes is all ti takes to start to get a scratch of a high tone then we can work from there..

That's why it so important to hear everything in the ground...and use your ears to decipher good from bad...MODULATION is huge in this arena...Knowing your detector's behavior in dirt at the site your at and how it sounds on say a 10 inch coin...listen for those tight round fainter iron tones...then listen for that tight click of a high tone in the middle of the iron tone on these tone blender units we have now when you start to say scrape some dirt..you'll figure out a iron flase high tone on a solid iron tone to begin with that starts to high tone as you scrape...what you want is the faint iron tone to be accompanied by a fait also round sound even if it's just a tick of a high tone...forced high tones that rise in intensity above the iron tone and or is jagged is the beginnings of iron false ..

Iron tone is a MUST have option for me ...and these newer units that have full disc range in the bottom end in terms of accept all even mineral are outstanding at...Ive done alot of experimenting and the NEWEST machines with full range into mineral disc reports are as telling as a mixed mode machine...these blender bleeder machines that is..In other words if ai can get a threshold waver in all metal on say a MXT I can get a iron report on a lets say Fors Relic on same target in full accept disc mode on 90+ percent of same targets...Ist the way the filters are working and the way the disc range also goes so low on the MakNoks..a F75 goes low too but it does not have the ability to blend tones on top of each other so at times on the deepest items it takes more signal on a round iron tone reporting deep dime to go full high tone instead of it gradually evolving from the center of the iron tone it has to be one or the other...a flip flop..the F75 will dig a lot of deep nails on that flip flop as it cant evolve and blend the tones..it cant pull that high tone from the center of the iron grunt in real time unison report audio feed..

Manufacturers are startign to give us more SONICALLY and thats a good thing...Hopefully eventually they can do some amazing things with sonics..even in terms of adapting it to say a Visual refenece in some sort of O-scope looking screen layered colors and even shapes viusalized tough an audio report??

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
September 05, 2016 06:21PM
I am lucky as My Ground is moderate to mild so My Big 3 can all Hit 10" Coin's. But Keith is rite you gotta' know your machine and what to listen for. That's why alot of Newbs. won't get same depth with the same Detector as a guy who has been using that model for a few years.
September 05, 2016 09:27PM
The ground generally in my area,,certainly not mild,,,medium to medium high mineralized.

Blisstool V6 gets down deep,,,even with 7x9" coil.

I have done head to head vs F75dst and other detectors.

I was using settings on the detector,,,I would generally hunt with,,,,not massaged in the least.

Even at 0 gain,,,detector is deep.

Detector has better discrimation than some folks think too.

I have tested on deep dimes and nickels.

Recovery speed not slouchy either when set correctly.

Have run detector through nail pits,,,I consider challenging for any detector.
With correct settings,,detector will perform.

As of late new prices on the Blisstool v6 units have been reduced.

I am no salesman,,,just relaying my experiences.

For 10-12" deep dimes,,,it will reach them.

Now,,I have not run my V6 detector is super high mineral soil.

But have run it and compared in some soil,,,that was holding back some other good detectors.j
Blisstool more unbridled here with depth.

Good luck whatever you decide.

Btw,,if it helps you any,,,I have watched many videos of Keith with numerous detectors going over his coins in test garden.

My results very, very similar with detector results (same detectors),,, similar same settings. ( with reported tone at depth, or shaky tone or lack of tone).

My soil apparently is similar to his mineral wise.
Only thing I do notice his ground phase numbers ( per detector) not the same as mine.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/05/2016 09:46PM by tnsharpshooter.
September 05, 2016 11:02PM
Get a Detech Chaser
September 05, 2016 11:23PM
I agree with Keith, I am hitting coins between 10 and 12.5" inches using the old 950 coil on the MXT and with 12"/300 it is hitting them at 13.5 inches and beyond In ploughed fields and woodland,

Using the MXT's mixed mode that Keith mentioned it will add even more depth than those above in my soil which reads between 64 to 75ish, being fertilized a lot does not help, But Some times I can pick out those deeper coins by dropping the Gain down to about 6.7 but most of the time I run it just at the point of it chattering but In Iron filled sites it works better just to drop it down and give the machine a chance to unmask those deeper targets, Big coils and power are part of it, But not always the best method.

John.
September 06, 2016 01:00AM
ghound Wrote:
> Anyone running a detector that can get a clean hit
> beyond 10" in med/high mineralised ground in
> disc?
> Reason i ask is that i can get to the average
> plough depth of 10" but i really want to find
> what's beneath that layer that has not been
> disturbed in centuries!

Robert,
I've been trying to do the same thing for years now, with only very limited success. sad smiley

My ground balance (in many places) exactly matches a ferrite core...which is to say, it's (almost) like hunting through a sheet of iron with millions of tiny holes in it.

I hope you find a solution. I'd gladly trade most of the detectors I have for one that will go past 10" and ID.

Say, does that 'Fighter' coil help you any with the GM5 depth?

mike
September 06, 2016 02:13AM
ghound Wrote:
> On some of the quieter pastures i was thinking of
> using a pi and marking the signals in the ground,
> then going over the signals a second time with a
> vlf and digging whatever signals the vlf couldn't
> hit?

I am in the same boat as you. High mineralization and trying to get past 10".
I can get to 10" on a dime with my CTX with accurate ID and 12" on a quarter if I use Ground Coin and make sure the top right corner from
About CO35-50 is open on the FE1 and 2 line.
I just bought an X-Terra 705 and the 15" 3kHz Coil to use in Prospect Mode (True All Metal) to kind of do the PI kind of thing.
Look for real deep coin sounding signals in Threshold Based All Metal and then check them in Coin Mode to see if I get a signal.
If its all iron sounds move on. If there is no sound or some high tones dig.
So far I have not found anything deeper than 10" after two hunts but I have found several coins on edge that I would have probably missed in coin mode.

The one thing that surprised me was the 705s performance with the 15" 3kHz coil. It keeps up with the CTX on deep silver in discriminate Coin Mode.
It runs quieter than the CTX and will Tone ID a dime at 10" in bad soil but the numbers bounce around a lot (38-46)where the CTX gives a good tone and a little more steady ID.
Down side to the 705 is you will dig screw caps. I rarely dig a screw cap with the CTX.

I love that 15" Minelab coil. Better than the CTX 13x17 coil.
That coil and the 705s fantastic Prospect mode on the CTX would make it one sweet detector!
Not sure why they didn't include a true all metal on the CTX.
Coil selection is pathetic too.
[www.findmall.com]

Bryan
September 06, 2016 02:51AM
Rent bulldozer, scrape 10" off = problem solved.
September 06, 2016 03:15AM
MichiganRelicHunter Wrote:
> Rent bulldozer, scrape 10" off = problem solved.

Yeah, Get a Big Yellow Trowel, Start off small with a D8 and go for it, grinning smileygrinning smiley

John.
September 06, 2016 04:26AM
Mike in CO Wrote:

> Robert,
> I've been trying to do the same thing for years
> now, with only very limited success. sad smiley
>
> My ground balance (in many places) exactly matches
> a ferrite core...which is to say, it's (almost)
> like hunting through a sheet of iron with millions
> of tiny holes in it.
>
> I hope you find a solution. I'd gladly trade most
> of the detectors I have for one that will go past
> 10" and ID.
>
> Say, does that 'Fighter' coil help you any with
> the GM5 depth?

Mike i do have the fighter coil but my grounds not bad enough for it to be effective, imho it's more designed for your type of ground.
>
> mike