Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

SOTTO - metal detector tuning

Posted by sanjuro 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
SOTTO - metal detector tuning
September 05, 2016 09:17PM
I have just come across this site [sotto.eu] they say they can tune Deeptech Vista Smarts and Deus they dont say what the improvements are but the price is eye watering $473 for the Smart has anyone used this service ? it may be a scam as they want payment in advance.
Re: SOTTO - metal detector tuning
September 05, 2016 11:07PM
Change a few 1 Cent gain-setting resistors? Maybe swap an op-amp chip for a lower-noise equivalent?
September 06, 2016 06:36PM
seems like a lot of wonga for that and for what minimal gains ?
September 06, 2016 06:58PM
You can have the most expensive and deepest detector on the planet,a detector on its own does absolutely nothing,its the skill of the operator that makes all the difference.
September 08, 2016 05:43PM
J&D I think you overstated it a bit, but I cannot argue with the basic truth of your statement. I will add that metal detecting is hugely subjective and arbitrary in assessing relative potency and therefore effectiveness of units is based on circumstantial finds. NASA Tom is king of evaluating them to precise standards. Virtually everyone else are very biased by many factors. So many variables are at play with target composition, size and shape; depth and soil composition; even atmospheric conditions; manufacturing variables, settings and yes human skill. Part of the human thing is we interpret feedback and swing speed and technique drive that (as J&D said). But remember part of being human is a superstitious world view based on coincidences. Find a gold ring with a Bounty Hunter then swing all day with an Excalibur and find a silver toe ring (or nothing) what do you think your opinion will be? I said that to say this:
I could open a business tuning detectors by waving a willow branch over them, but telling people I did a total tune job and improved performance 10%. I can offer a full money back guarantee and almost no one would ask for it. Most people would believe the placebo along with the added ego investment of $500 (or what ever). This is why NASA Tom is so darn unique (Kieth S and some others too). They are knowledgeable and do uniform (and relatively unbiased) testing. No one is totally unbiased who is human, but until THEY take over its all we have.

Past(or)Tom
Using a Legend, a Deus 2, an Equinox 800, a Tarsacci MDT 8000, & a few others...
with my beloved, fading Corgi, Sadie
September 08, 2016 06:18PM
For anyone here in this country I will preform my own super secret calibration and tuning process for only $49.95 plus return shipping.
Any detector, new or used, also.
Here are my tools I use, that plus some other secret knowledge I can't divulge so rest assured my deal is on the up and up.

September 08, 2016 10:11PM
It's coincidental that this thread came up when it did. I was talking with my detector dealer just the other day and he tells me that he just got off of the phone with a lady who wanted to send her hubby's detector in to get it "tuned up".
He asked her if something was wrong with it and she tells him "no, but that it was probably due for a tune up". He tells her that there is no such thing...the detector is either working properly or it's not. If not, it needs to be sent in and repaired. He said that she argued with him about it stating that the unit is a few years old and should be sent back to the factory for a tune up!confused smiley.... It's not like you need to change the oil and plugs or anything.

Of course, there are mods that can be done but this is not a "tune up". It's modifying from original. There are software UP DATES that can be done to certain machines via the internet but I wouldn't do it unless it came from the manufacturer and not for that kind of dough (should be free from the manufacturer). I wonder what these guys mean by "tune up"? Sounds more like "fleecing" to me.
September 09, 2016 12:01AM
Just for instance, bado1, the cz's can be tuned to be the best... that particular unit can be......analog speak, of course.