Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Anyone hunting Downtown Detroit?

Posted by go-rebels 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Anyone hunting Downtown Detroit?
February 02, 2011 02:17PM
Vast areas of the inner city now contain hundred year old abandoned neighborhoods. It's obviously best not to detect alone but the potential is certainly alluring. I hunt areas of downtown Cleveland, as I'm familiar with the area, and always seem to pull a good number of silver coins. There are a few abandoned streets next to the Cleveland airport car rental complex that have been particularly productive.
Re: Anyone hunting Downtown Detroit?
February 02, 2011 10:50PM
The tip of the iceberg:

[www.theseekerbooks.com]
Re: Go-Rebels...............
February 02, 2011 11:34PM
I detect in bad neighborhoods. In Idaho no less. Illegal aliens from south of the border...... meth-heads....drug houses....gangbangers etc......welcome to the new liberal america.
I just keep my eyes open.....and can pull my Lesche out faster than a mongoose on a cobra. Just keep an eye out for hazardous stuff like used condoms and hypodermics, blood soaked bandages & cloth's. May sound harsh, but its a reality in these areas. I also keep my detector on a laynard attached to my belt so no punks can do a distraction and then a quick grab and run off with my detector. I keep close to my vehicle, don't wander too far from it.
And having a extra buddy(ies) is the best thing to do, if ya can find ones that want to detect in these areas.
Yes, the coins are good. I make the best finds in these areas.
Just be safe........HH
February 03, 2011 01:20AM
I like the lanyard idea. I worry more about losing my detector that way than from actually being mugged.
qwk
Re: Go-Rebels...............
February 03, 2011 03:23AM
TerraDigger Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I detect in bad neighborhoods. In Idaho no less.
> Illegal aliens from south of the border......
> meth-heads....drug houses....gangbangers
> etc......welcome to the new liberal america.
> I just keep my eyes open.....and can pull my
> Lesche out faster than a mongoose on a cobra. Just
> keep an eye out for hazardous stuff like used
> condoms and hypodermics, blood soaked bandages &
> cloth's. May sound harsh, but its a reality in
> these areas. I also keep my detector on a laynard
> attached to my belt so no punks can do a
> distraction and then a quick grab and run off with
> my detector. I keep close to my vehicle, don't
> wander too far from it.
> And having a extra buddy(ies) is the best thing to
> do, if ya can find ones that want to detect in
> these areas.
> Yes, the coins are good. I make the best finds in
> these areas.
> Just be safe........HH

Yikes, where do you detect? I live in Idaho and can't think of any neigborhoods that bad.
February 03, 2011 03:32AM
I like my online anonymity, let's just say the Boise area................and certain surrounding cities. Here's one that happened just a couple weeks ago and this stuff is becoming rampant around here.........

NAMPA, ID — After 12 months of investigation, a multi-agency law enforcement task force has dismantled a large-scale drug and firearms trafficking operation in the Nampa area.

Most in U.S. illegally

Nine adults — most of them undocumented Mexican nationals residing in Nampa — were arrested on felony charges. In addition to those nine arrests, three juveniles were arrested and charged with aiding and abetting the delivery of a controlled substance.

Others cited on charges

More than 20 other suspects were cited for misdemeanor drug possession and frequenting a place known for drug trafficking charges, arrested on other warrants, or placed on immigration holds.

Because it was such a large, complex conspiracy, the likelihood of additional arrests and more seized property in the near future is “unquestionable,” Nampa Police Chief Bill Augsburger said.

“This was a particularly large trafficking conspiracy group. They were pushing a lot of drugs in the Treasure Valley,” he said.

Drug route withheld

Law enforcement officials declined to reveal details about the drug route itself, how far it extended, or how those involved operated day-to-day within the Nampa area.

Some of those arrested on felony charges were family members, Augsburger said. Most of the drugs likely were being sold to local residents here in the Treasure Valley, he said.

Note: I see these lowlifes when I detect, all the time. I was born and raised in the tougher parts of Los Angeles. Let's just say I have a trained eye and nose. And the drugs not mentioned in the article were methamphetamine and cocaine. The weapons were the usual high powered drug dealer armanent. Oh, and then around the same time in a different incident, a Nampa police officer was shot in the face when serving a warrant. Luckily, he survived. Now do you think I am exaggerating?????

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/03/2011 03:50AM by TerraDigger.
qwk
February 03, 2011 03:55AM
Nampa and Caldwell are bad, but it's been 4 yrs since I lived in Boise. Sounds like it's getting worse...
February 03, 2011 05:16PM
go-rebels Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Vast areas of the inner city now contain hundred
> year old abandoned neighborhoods. It's obviously
> best not to detect alone but the potential is
> certainly alluring. I hunt areas of downtown
> Cleveland, as I'm familiar with the area, and
> always seem to pull a good number of silver coins.
> There are a few abandoned streets next to the
> Cleveland airport car rental complex that have
> been particularly productive.

Ah, lovely downtown Cleveland... were you there when the river caught on fire? ;-)

I know, it's better now but some things are hard to forget, laff. I've seen those pics of Detroit and that was my first thought... I'd go with something like a Tesoro Silver, something not too expensive... i'd also use my Kabar as a digger along with my relic shark shovel... and sharpen the blade. The lanrard is a great idea... i've heard of punks throwing rocks at people to get them to drop the detector so they can run up and grab it... personaly i'd rather wrap it around someone's head than just give it to them. Pepper spray might be good too... the stuff they use on bears.

J
February 03, 2011 07:40PM
The Cuyahoga river cleaned up nicely after the steel mills and other manufacturers left the area. Now unemployed Clevelanders go there to catch their supper.
February 04, 2011 03:01PM
i read where ''detroit" is one of the most livable cities in the u.s.a.!
am i missin' something here?.the auto capital of the world!..he!..he!..he!
was watchin' a "money drop" game show on the box,when one of the questions
was, "what IS the most "dangerous" city in the u.s.a to live in?"..the "correct"
answer was "detroit!"..just sayin!

(h.h.!)
j.t.
February 04, 2011 11:23PM
Why?

Not really a point to it. Tons of stuff outside of the city thats just as old, and much safer to hunt.

Why tempt fate?
February 05, 2011 12:19AM
I'd be up for a spring visit to Detroit if we can get 10 - 15 people....

If there's enough interest, I'll open a general category about it on our club forum for people to sign on...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/05/2011 12:20AM by Shambler.
February 05, 2011 12:41AM
I'm in!

I'll bring my pistol probe, er... I mean "pistol".