Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Was thinking of an MXT......

Posted by ghound 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re: Was thinking of an MXT......
October 06, 2016 09:21PM
So do you think that might be a high tensile/ carbon drill bit of some sort in the video?
October 07, 2016 01:25AM
Mike G. Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> John, these were modified by Mr. Bill. A boost
> circuit was added along with an external Ground
> Balance and Threshold controls.

Very nice Mike, I was so close to bidding on the one I saw but it was no where as nice as those you have but I really want to buy one and the Black 5900 and 6000,, You can still buy the 15" concentric coil for them but you might need to got to the Gym for a week or two before hand, I have one for the MXT but I need one for the 5900,

Thanks again Mike, that's a great Photo.

John.
October 07, 2016 01:30AM
Mike G. Wrote:
> John, these were modified by Mr. Bill. A boost
> circuit was added along with an external Ground
> Balance and Threshold controls.

Sorry Mike just a quick question, Is the screen Pod the same size as the one on the MXT ? because I have some New padded waterproof covers you can have, which are the best you can get, I just thought it would be a shame to get those 2 machines messed up,

John.
October 07, 2016 05:54PM
Here is a video I done this morning between the MXT and MX Sport. I started looking on YouTube and couldn't find another video that showed both machines (other than the much talked about Whites video).

So I put one together...showing air test on some US coins and then the in ground test.

Foot notes after doing the video:

1. My buddy is going to let me borrow his D2 10" coil and I may redo this test to show both machines equipped with the same size coils.
2. You can really hear the difference in the modulation between the two machines and the MXT has a more analog sound to it vs the digital MX Sport.
3. I tried my best to set them up the same way in audio. The MX Sport has more tone options available in Coin/Jewelry mode that I tested in...you have 1, 2, 4, and 8 tone modes. My MXT Pro only has two tone options in Coin/Jewelry mode...it has Tone ID On and Off....which Off puts it in a single tone mode. In hindsight, what I might should have done was put both machines in single tone. I might do that when I get the 10" coil from my buddy.

As expected, the MXT Pro air tests better. They are both close and I imagine the 10 inch DD on the MXT will make them closer.

What you might not expect, is that in my personal opinion, the MX Sport does a slightly better job in the ground. The IDs are good and the signal strength is great.

I like both machines VERY well. Each has their place. The MXT has more coil options available for it right now. The MX Sport has room for growth in that area. The MXT has adjustable SAT in prospecting mode but the other modes are preset and not adjustable. The MX Sport has the ability to adjust the SAT in the other modes; which is a handy feature to have for setting a machine up for more ground conditions.

This video is a lot longer than most of mine are. I'm not trying to say one is way better than the other or being biased in any way. I am going to say though, that the updated MX Sport ain't as bad of a machine as some still want to say that it is.

[youtu.be]
October 07, 2016 06:13PM
Nice video Daniel.

Very good narration!!

Keep em coming.
October 07, 2016 06:24PM
Looks like there is a 13" coil for the MX Sport now on White's web site. I didn't see it before.
October 07, 2016 06:37PM
Great Video Daniel and thanks for taking the time to do the test and a big thanks to your friend for making it possible.,

I get the similar figures to you but mine is a tad hotter , Did you notice that as you turn the MXT Gain control it clicks like it is changing gears, So when you run the Gain set to 10 it is in fact running at half Gain because everyone of those clicks you hear multiplies the Gain to another level,

The reason the signals on the MX sport seem louder is because when it sees a target it is set up to bleep where as the MXT is VCO based and does not have the straight Bleep feature of the MXS, The MXT will still bleep on the target but being 100% VCO based and no way to turn it off it gives the illusion that it can only just see the target when in fact that is not the case.

The MXT will do that VCO thing until the signal vanishes in to the back ground of the Threshold which is extremely handy when you are searching for very deep targets,

So you have busted the myth about 9 and a half inch Quarters " Air Tests" which is what I was saying all along.

The MX sport has the VCO feature if you want to use it but some folks claim that it is not that great, But hey you like the Bleep of the MXS and I prefer the VCO of the MXT so no big deal aye, something for everyone.

Us F.O.G's who prefer the VCO have learn't that a person can find huge depth increases by listening to the VCO set up, and if you train your ear what to listen for then you are going to dig some very deep holes, hopefully with either Gold or Plates in them.

Theres nothing wrong with either machine horses for coarses, aye

Thanks again Daniel.

John..
October 07, 2016 07:02PM
Great videos, Daniel. I also like the one where you compare other coils to the 950. It was an eye opener.
October 07, 2016 11:04PM
They also have a 9.5" concentric coil for the MX Sport. Some might find benefit into using it over the stock 10" DD. Myself, I'm more interested in the newer 7" DD for it instead of the 13". The 6x8 SEF coil is probably my favorite coil on the MXT Pro so my thinking is that the 7" would be similar to that.

On the 10" quarter thing...I would have to go back and watch the Whites video to see if they note what settings they used. In my air test I opted to turn the disc to zero and was able to get the distance I did. When I do the test with discrimination set to 2 like I did in the ground test, the distance for the high tone on the quarter shrinks to around 10.5 inches. You can hear a signal out to 12 or so but it is not a high tone....it is the computer saying it is picking up a weak target but it is not strong enough to register a positive ID and corresponding high tone.
October 07, 2016 11:25PM
Daniel Tn Wrote:
> They also have a 9.5" concentric coil for the MX
> Sport. Some might find benefit into using it over
> the stock 10" DD. Myself, I'm more interested in
> the newer 7" DD for it instead of the 13". The
> 6x8 SEF coil is probably my favorite coil on the
> MXT Pro so my thinking is that the 7" would be
> similar to that.
>
> On the 10" quarter thing...I would have to go back
> and watch the Whites video to see if they note
> what settings they used. In my air test I opted
> to turn the disc to zero and was able to get the
> distance I did. When I do the test with
> discrimination set to 2 like I did in the ground
> test, the distance for the high tone on the
> quarter shrinks to around 10.5 inches. You can
> hear a signal out to 12 or so but it is not a high
> tone....it is the computer saying it is picking up
> a weak target but it is not strong enough to
> register a positive ID and corresponding high
> tone.

I have been thinking about your video all night and I am starting to think that because of the Loud sharp tone of the MXS that type of signal would work better for coins, where as the MXT has the VCO sounds that might work better for Relics and Prospecting

But one way to get a louder VCO tone is to lock the tracking when you are Air Testing before you turn it on and put it in the Relic mode then turn it on and when it has fired up and you set the Gain press the music notes button once and then try the test and what happens is you will get a louder third tone in the threshold way past the 12" mark and with headphones depending on the EMI you can pick up the faint signal at a massive increase, Depending on the EMI even in the standard Relic mode with headphones on you can hear it at a huge distance even though you won't get an ID, That's why when you are out hunting a good Boot Scrape of the Ground will improve those very faint signals and the more you scrape the better it gets.

well done mate.

John.
October 08, 2016 01:01AM
There might be something to that. On the MXT I like the Relic mode 2 tone/mixed mode. I can hear a target coming in on the all metal side before it gets to the center of the coil. I dug some real deep bullets with it last week that would only give a slight high tone peep when the target was directly center of the coil. I'm not fond of the Relic mixed mode on the MXS at all. I favor the coin/jewelry mode over the relic mode on it. My favorite mode for relic hunting on both machines (believe it or not) is the prospecting mode. They are very powerful machines in prospecting mode. Of course it is a major benefit on the MXT due to having the adjustable SAT in that mode. One of my worse sites is notorious for the ground changing every few feet. I was watching the GND Phase # the other day and in a 20 yard stretch, it would range from 56 to low 70s on the GND # and everywhere in between. It is a handful to keep balanced....all vlf machines are like that there (excluding the pulse machines which seem to not be phased by it as bad)
October 08, 2016 07:35AM
Daniel, whats the performance like with a small coil? my 5" DD coil hits a dime nice at 8" in air on my machine.
How do you find it on separation with a medium DD coil?

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 10/08/2016 11:04AM by ghound.
October 08, 2016 08:05AM
Ghound -- Which detector are you asking about? The smallest I have for the MXT is the 6x8DD. I only have the 10" to test for the MX Sport. My buddy actually bought the MX Sport from me...he let me borrow it back for my testing and trip to the gulf next week. He wasn't really liking it...he likes his TDI better. I think he is hoping I will want it back and buy it back. I probably will just to be able to capitalize on the newer coils.

I had the 5.3 Eclipse when I had the V3i but I don't remember if I ever had one for the MXT. I remember I liked it better than the 4x6 mini shooter on that particular detector.
October 08, 2016 08:26AM
Daniel Tn Wrote:
> Ghound -- Which detector are you asking about?
> The smallest I have for the MXT is the 6x8DD. I
> only have the 10" to test for the MX Sport. My
> buddy actually bought the MX Sport from me...he
> let me borrow it back for my testing and trip to
> the gulf next week. He wasn't really liking
> it...he likes his TDI better. I think he is hoping
> I will want it back and buy it back. I probably
> will just to be able to capitalize on the newer
> coils.
>
> I had the 5.3 Eclipse when I had the V3i but I
> don't remember if I ever had one for the MXT. I
> remember I liked it better than the 4x6 mini
> shooter on that particular detector.

I have about 8 Coils for the MXT and I am ordering another 4 or 5 at the end of the month, But the 5.3 coil when the machine is cranked up it will see bit that can't be weighed, It can easily see bits weighing 0.0002oz and one bit that won't even register on the scales it will see between 1/4" to 1/2". The 5.3 will Air Test roughly the same as the 6x10 (9x5) coil does.

There is some weird cross over features with Whites Coils which is why I like them, Some are good some not so good but every one has it's purpose, and it is a real blast when you see what they can do which will leave you wondering how they did it.

I am feeling the love for Detech Coils too, theres happy thing happening there too
October 08, 2016 08:52AM
Daniel Tn Wrote:
> Ghound -- Which detector are you asking about?
> The smallest I have for the MXT is the 6x8DD. I
> only have the 10" to test for the MX Sport. My
> buddy actually bought the MX Sport from me...he
> let me borrow it back for my testing and trip to
> the gulf next week. He wasn't really liking
> it...he likes his TDI better. I think he is hoping
> I will want it back and buy it back. I probably
> will just to be able to capitalize on the newer
> coils.
>
> I had the 5.3 Eclipse when I had the V3i but I
> don't remember if I ever had one for the MXT. I
> remember I liked it better than the 4x6 mini
> shooter on that particular detector.

Sorry Daniel, the MXT. There's one for sale local to me, it's been for sale for a while and the seller's willing to take easy money for it, but im not sure what it's strongest feature is, no sense in buying it if it doesn't have something my other machine lacks.
My current detector is fast and works best with coils 10" or smaller and from vids I've seen i don't think the MXT would do any better in this department, but i thought I'd ask your view on it.
But nothing to date really gets deep in my ground, 11" at best.
A deep pasture machine for old silver is the only slot i need to fill.
October 08, 2016 08:59AM
Daniel Tn Wrote:
> There might be something to that. On the MXT I
> like the Relic mode 2 tone/mixed mode. I can hear
> a target coming in on the all metal side before it
> gets to the center of the coil. I dug some real
> deep bullets with it last week that would only
> give a slight high tone peep when the target was
> directly center of the coil. I'm not fond of the
> Relic mixed mode on the MXS at all. I favor the
> coin/jewelry mode over the relic mode on it. My
> favorite mode for relic hunting on both machines
> (believe it or not) is the prospecting mode. They
> are very powerful machines in prospecting mode. Of
> course it is a major benefit on the MXT due to
> having the adjustable SAT in that mode. One of my
> worse sites is notorious for the ground changing
> every few feet. I was watching the GND Phase # the
> other day and in a 20 yard stretch, it would range
> from 56 to low 70s on the GND # and everywhere in
> between. It is a handful to keep balanced....all
> vlf machines are like that there (excluding the
> pulse machines which seem to not be phased by it
> as bad)

your right in the Relic or Prospecting mode how that faint signal comes in at great depths, when I first got involved with the MXTs I hated the Prospecting mode but then I saw what it can do and with the same size coil it will out run most PI machines at some venues and if you test it using them big coils they will surprize you for sure and with less EMI you can Max out the Gain it will go even deeper. another thing I like with the MXTs is that within One or Two pumps of the Coil it is Ground Balanced, it will even ground balance out magnetic Items in the same amount of pumps of the Coil, Having it react so fast really helps in fast changing ground conditions.

John.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/08/2016 09:01AM by auminesweeper.
October 08, 2016 10:18AM
Daniel Tn Wrote:
> Here is a video I done this morning between the
> MXT and MX Sport. I started looking on YouTube
> and couldn't find another video that showed both
> machines (other than the much talked about Whites
> video).
>
> So I put one together...showing air test on some
> US coins and then the in ground test.
>
> Foot notes after doing the video:
>
> 1. My buddy is going to let me borrow his D2 10"
> coil and I may redo this test to show both
> machines equipped with the same size coils.
> 2. You can really hear the difference in the
> modulation between the two machines and the MXT
> has a more analog sound to it vs the digital MX
> Sport.
> 3. I tried my best to set them up the same way in
> audio. The MX Sport has more tone options
> available in Coin/Jewelry mode that I tested
> in...you have 1, 2, 4, and 8 tone modes. My MXT
> Pro only has two tone options in Coin/Jewelry
> mode...it has Tone ID On and Off....which Off puts
> it in a single tone mode. In hindsight, what I
> might should have done was put both machines in
> single tone. I might do that when I get the 10"
> coil from my buddy.
>
> As expected, the MXT Pro air tests better. They
> are both close and I imagine the 10 inch DD on the
> MXT will make them closer.
>
> What you might not expect, is that in my personal
> opinion, the MX Sport does a slightly better job
> in the ground. The IDs are good and the signal
> strength is great.
>
> I like both machines VERY well. Each has their
> place. The MXT has more coil options available for
> it right now. The MX Sport has room for growth in
> that area. The MXT has adjustable SAT in
> prospecting mode but the other modes are preset
> and not adjustable. The MX Sport has the ability
> to adjust the SAT in the other modes; which is a
> handy feature to have for setting a machine up for
> more ground conditions.
>
> This video is a lot longer than most of mine are.
> I'm not trying to say one is way better than the
> other or being biased in any way. I am going to
> say though, that the updated MX Sport ain't as bad
> of a machine as some still want to say that it is.
>
>
> [youtu.be]

Just watched it again Daniel, and like you say the big 12x10 probably gets a bit more than the stock, but it does very well and the results not to be disputed, one myth busted!
October 08, 2016 10:46AM
Daniel, The 5.3 coil will Air test a Quarter at about 9 and 3/4 inches some times 10" but using the 3rd Tone or Prospecting mode it goes way beyond that and yet the UK smaller 5 pence coin it goes off the Scale, Being a smaller coil you can run the Gain up higher,
October 08, 2016 12:21PM
As with all your coils your 5.3 concentric sounds hot, the next best reports I've read says it just about gives a whisper at 8.5", but regardless it would have to be a no for myself. I've read it's too keen to call iron on mixed metal items, where as my 5"DD would give a mixed tone, and digging mixed tone targets probably account for 80% of my detecting, the 4x6" Keith used on the nailboard test looks a good alternative.
If anyones looking the fake MXT separation video, just PM me as i have a hard copy!
Anyhow, think i will just pass on the MXT, still have a thing for the AKA Signum though, maybe it needs a second look.

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 10/08/2016 11:14PM by ghound.
October 08, 2016 03:46PM
Detectorist Wrote:
> Looks like there is a 13" coil for the MX Sport
> now on White's web site. I didn't see it before.

Yeah I thought about getting that one as well, but I am waiting to see how others get along with it, there has been mixed reviews but time will tell, I have a list of coils I want to try and I have enough to keep me busy,

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/08/2016 03:54PM by auminesweeper.
October 08, 2016 07:39PM
auminesweeper Wrote:
> Mike G. Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > John, these were modified by Mr. Bill. A boost
> > circuit was added along with an external Ground
> > Balance and Threshold controls.
>
> Sorry Mike just a quick question, Is the screen
> Pod the same size as the one on the MXT ? because
> I have some New padded waterproof covers you can
> have, which are the best you can get, I just
> thought it would be a shame to get those 2
> machines messed up,
>
> John.

John, thanks for the offer but It's the same size as the XLT/DFX. Plus I don't have these detectors anymore. The modified IDX Pro's are pretty sensitive. The black sand switch worked well in bad ground. It basically expanded the lower discrimination range. It worked well on the lower conductors. Here's a pic. of a 1920 English 10 cent from Ceylon that was 7+ inches.

October 08, 2016 07:56PM
Mike G. Wrote:
> auminesweeper Wrote:
> -----
> > Mike G. Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > John, these were modified by Mr. Bill. A
> boost
> > > circuit was added along with an external
> Ground
> > > Balance and Threshold controls.
> >
> > Sorry Mike just a quick question, Is the screen
> > Pod the same size as the one on the MXT ?
> because
> > I have some New padded waterproof covers you
> can
> > have, which are the best you can get, I just
> > thought it would be a shame to get those 2
> > machines messed up,
> >
> > John.
>
>
> John, thanks for the offer but It's the same size
> as the XLT/DFX. Plus I don't have these detectors
> anymore. The modified IDX Pro's are pretty
> sensitive. The black sand switch worked well in
> bad ground. It basically expanded the lower
> discrimination range. It worked well on the lower
> conductors. Here's a pic. of a 1920 English 10
> cent from Ceylon that was 7+ inches.
>
>
> [i1230.photobucket.com]
> 9699/10-cent-ceylon_zpscawp6bis.jpg

Mike, I like the sound of that switch, It worked well on those coins, I will have to keep an eye out for one of those machines.

no worry's about the covers, I can get them for DFX and V3i etc etc

thanks for posting the picture.

John.
October 08, 2016 08:27PM
@Mike G.,those IDX Pro machines are in stunning condition,i have a non Mr Bill version and its a very nice machine to use,still not sure if i really need the mods done,have most of the parts that are required and also the plan for doing the conversion,its well documented and also vids on YouTube as well.
October 08, 2016 09:04PM
Junk and Disorderly Wrote:
> @Mike G.,those IDX Pro machines are in stunning
> condition,i have a non Mr Bill version and its a
> very nice machine to use,still not sure if i
> really need the mods done,have most of the parts
> that are required and also the plan for doing the
> conversion,its well documented and also vids on
> YouTube as well.

I bought the one with the small coil from Monte Berry and the other from Mr. Bill. I already had the IDX Pro without the mods and after buying the first modded one from Monte and seeing the difference in depth I sold it and got the second one. I could run damn near max sensitivity even in my bad ground. Even though the depth was better than most the digital display just couldn't give me the same amount of info on deeper targets as the 5900/6000 analog meters. I do regret selling the one with the small coil because it did really well in the iron at my ghost town sites.
October 08, 2016 11:41PM
Mike, How much do these mods cost ?

John.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/09/2016 12:25AM by auminesweeper.
October 09, 2016 09:46AM
ghound Wrote:
> As with all your coils your 5.3 concentric sounds
> hot, the next best reports I've read says it just
> about gives a whisper at 8.5", but regardless it
> would have to be a no for myself. I've read it's
> too keen to call iron on mixed metal items, where
> as my 5"DD would give a mixed tone, and digging
> mixed tone targets probably account for 80% of my
> detecting, the 4x6" Keith used on the nailboard
> test looks a good alternative.
> If anyones looking the fake MXT separation video,
> just PM me as i have a hard copy!
> Anyhow, think i will just pass on the MXT, still
> have a thing for the AKA Signum though, maybe it
> needs a second look.

Must admit the Signum has attracted my attention a few times as well,i had a demo on one about 2 years back but you cannot come to any conclusion on how good they are in a very short time duration,they are deep especially on the targets that we tried,a couple of things that made me hold back on buying one was the fact that as far as i an tell no service or repair facilities are available here in the UK,although i personally have never heard reliability problems from them,i always bring this crucial factor into account when buying anything.

2nd thing that i am not sure about and prehaps i missed the opportunity when testing a demo machine is how accurate the Hodograph facility is at depth,gut feeling tells me its only good for say 8'' or so then becomes useless below that depth like most screen based information is !! of course i could be wrong on that one but i think then it basically just becomes a audio machine like most detectors.

So one never progressed any further with the purchase,but if my 2 above questions could be answered then maybe still interested.
October 09, 2016 10:09AM
> ghound Wrote:
> -----
> > As with all your coils your 5.3 concentric
> sounds
> > hot, the next best reports I've read says it
> just
> > about gives a whisper at 8.5", but regardless
> it
> > would have to be a no for myself. I've read
> it's
> > too keen to call iron on mixed metal items,
> where
> > as my 5"DD would give a mixed tone, and digging
> > mixed tone targets probably account for 80% of
> my
> > detecting, the 4x6" Keith used on the nailboard
> > test looks a good alternative.
> > If anyones looking the fake MXT separation
> video,
> > just PM me as i have a hard copy!
> > Anyhow, think i will just pass on the MXT,
> still
> > have a thing for the AKA Signum though, maybe
> it
> > needs a second look.
>
> Must admit the Signum has attracted my attention a
> few times as well,i had a demo on one about 2
> years back but you cannot come to any conclusion
> on how good they are in a very short time
> duration,they are deep especially on the targets
> that we tried,a couple of things that made me hold
> back on buying one was the fact that as far as i
> an tell no service or repair facilities are
> available here in the UK,although i personally
> have never heard reliability problems from them,i
> always bring this crucial factor into account when
> buying anything.
>
> 2nd thing that i am not sure about and prehaps i
> missed the opportunity when testing a demo machine
> is how accurate the Hodograph facility is at
> depth,gut feeling tells me its only good for say
> 8'' or so then becomes useless below that depth
> like most screen based information is !! of course
> i could be wrong on that one but i think then it
> basically just becomes a audio machine like most
> detectors.
>
> So one never progressed any further with the
> purchase,but if my 2 above questions could be
> answered then maybe still interested.

Having read about all your machines you have posted about I don't think a machine like that would be of little interest to you, You have the best of the Best already.
October 09, 2016 10:55AM
auminesweeper Wrote:
> Mike, How much do these mods cost ?
>
> John.

I'm not Mike---but----I think Mr. Bills mods was around $100 (plus shipping)---if memory serves me correctly.-----It's a rather moot point anyway as Mr. Bill has retired & no longer does the mods.---------Del
October 09, 2016 11:02AM
> ghound Wrote:
> -----
> > As with all your coils your 5.3 concentric
> sounds
> > hot, the next best reports I've read says it
> just
> > about gives a whisper at 8.5", but regardless
> it
> > would have to be a no for myself. I've read
> it's
> > too keen to call iron on mixed metal items,
> where
> > as my 5"DD would give a mixed tone, and digging
> > mixed tone targets probably account for 80% of
> my
> > detecting, the 4x6" Keith used on the nailboard
> > test looks a good alternative.
> > If anyones looking the fake MXT separation
> video,
> > just PM me as i have a hard copy!
> > Anyhow, think i will just pass on the MXT,
> still
> > have a thing for the AKA Signum though, maybe
> it
> > needs a second look.
>
> Must admit the Signum has attracted my attention a
> few times as well,i had a demo on one about 2
> years back but you cannot come to any conclusion
> on how good they are in a very short time
> duration,they are deep especially on the targets
> that we tried,a couple of things that made me hold
> back on buying one was the fact that as far as i
> an tell no service or repair facilities are
> available here in the UK,although i personally
> have never heard reliability problems from them,i
> always bring this crucial factor into account when
> buying anything.
>
> 2nd thing that i am not sure about and prehaps i
> missed the opportunity when testing a demo machine
> is how accurate the Hodograph facility is at
> depth,gut feeling tells me its only good for say
> 8'' or so then becomes useless below that depth
> like most screen based information is !! of course
> i could be wrong on that one but i think then it
> basically just becomes a audio machine like most
> detectors.
>
> So one never progressed any further with the
> purchase,but if my 2 above questions could be
> answered then maybe still interested.

The warrenty/repair side wouldn't worry me particularly, say if the control box had to go back for repairs or updates etc the post is pretty good these days.
I would say your right about the Hodograph, especially in more mineralized ground, but when you read the detectors specs and user manual it's a fascinating machine, i think Garys Detecting done a good review on it or maybe it's stablemate.

And for once i have to agree with John, Junk your Nexus is the 'best of the best at depth'