Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Keeping warm this winter.

Posted by auminesweeper 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Keeping warm this winter.
October 10, 2016 10:47PM
I noticed the night time Temperature is slowly beginning to fall which means winter is on it's way, And when the snow falls that makes it hard to go detecting and for some of us we just end up with rock hard frozen ground, I have heaps of gear to keep me warm, But in the past I have gone out detecting and come home covered in frost with Ice forming on the coil.

So what do you do or wear to keep warm when the cold strikes,

John.
Re: Keeping warm this winter.
October 11, 2016 07:08AM
Only time i dont go out is when it rains,cannot see the enjoyment of getting wet,If its cold but the ground is not frozen then game on.

Full length thermal underwear
Thick lumberjack shirt
Thick camo trousers
Thermal socks
Fleeced waterproof jacket
Neoprene fishing gloves with the fingers that flip back
Balaclava
Footwear depends on the ground conditions,if its wet then thermal boots or if the ground is firm then a non metal hiking boot.

Usually wear a set of wired Sennheiser wired in ear headphones under the Balaclava to the Deus control box inside a inner pocket,mainly use the Deus as a audio machine anyway.

Keeps me warm and toasty all day long,may look like a 'Michelin Man' but when detecting its not a fashion parade is it smiling smiley
October 11, 2016 11:09AM
Me Too, I hate detecting in the mud, I would rather detect in the cold even in the snow at a push, But the rain just makes every thing a mess, I am not bothered about the cold because I have some serious cold weather gear regardless of the Temperature, But they are over the top for detecting and I am not sure that I would even want to wear them for that,

Thermal draws are a great help and like you I wear a good jumper and a Fleece lined jacket etc,The only down side is when you get the call of nature then things can become interesting,

John.
October 11, 2016 11:23AM
Moonshine works. Lol
October 11, 2016 01:11PM
tnsharpshooter Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Moonshine works. Lol

"Corn Squeezin's" Lol,

I gave that stuff a test drive once, Never again. grinning smileygrinning smileysmileys with beerspinning smiley sticking its tongue out
October 11, 2016 05:14PM
For the beach, a wetsuit (full or shorty) + waterproof booties and gloves make a cold windy wet day a lot more enjoyable for me.
October 11, 2016 05:34PM
Usually keep pretty warm running around digging. Have some insulated Duluth trading jeans for long days. For upper wear I like a layer or two of long sleeve shirts with a moderately thin fleece jacket on top. I don't like bulky jackets. It's easy to remove a layer or two If you get warm.

Also have a nightlite brand jacket made for Hunters, it's made out of some type of modern dupont like tear resistant material that also works as a great wind breaker. Pockets everywhere, removable hood, I love that coat. I wear carhardt bib overalls on cold, muddy digs where we use equipment for non surface hunts

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/11/2016 10:08PM by deadlift.
October 11, 2016 08:13PM
A pair of oversize aigle boots, warm soles and winter socks.
Quilted pants and something I've become very fond off, a pair of lightweight waterproof sailing bibs.
They allow for a lot of freedom of movement and have an easy velcro closure around your boots.
Flanel undershirt, decent neckless fleece, otherwise it gets cramped in that department.

I may forget my wallet, digger or even detector, but won't forget my Barbour Beaufort.
Short waxed jacket. With or without liner. Storm Hood. Rain choker and gloves stuffed in the back pocket.
In fact when I put on my winter tyres, the jacket goes in the car as well.

And headwear,... once the temps drop I grab my brimmed beanie hat aka GI jeep cap.
I doesn't leave my head untill springtime.

HH
Johnb

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/13/2016 02:27AM by scoopjohnb.
October 11, 2016 08:34PM
Yeah John good boots are a must, I have a pair of SkiTex -50 fishing boots if it is too cold, But if I am just going out I have some serious Arctic Gear, As of yet I have not needed to wear any of it,

Sometimes even those -50 Boots I can feel a little bit cool if I am not moving around but My Arctic boots are way over the top and are too big to drive in.

John.
October 12, 2016 01:53AM
Go to Arizona.
October 12, 2016 03:38AM
Hobo Wrote:
> Go to Arizona.

Tank tops & light pants--the order of the day for us in CA/AZ---huh Darrel!------Retired life's a tuff job but somebody's gotta do it!!!
October 12, 2016 12:15PM

So what do you do or wear to keep warm

I just switch from mornings to the afternoon. As soon as the sun hits its anywhere from 60-70 degrees all winter. That's what I get for living in the south and dealing with 110+ mornings all summer longsmiling smiley

Nox600, CTX, CZ21, Excal II and White's DF with 920i stealthscoop...I live and hunt at the beach in Wilm NCsmiling smiley
October 12, 2016 02:31PM
D&P-OR Wrote:
> Hobo Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Go to Arizona.
>
>
> Tank tops & light pants--the order of the day for
> us in CA/AZ---huh Darrel!------Retired life's a
> tuff job but somebody's gotta do it!!!

Best job I've ever had.
October 12, 2016 03:42PM
Yeah but relocating might effect the age of my finds, and I'm not sure how I think about that. grinning smileygrinning smiley

John.