Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

New Here.

Posted by Tom_in_CA 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re: New Here.
October 21, 2016 12:58AM
Hooo dawgy, nice collection of goldies. Not too many boys can brag about that many old gold coins, not many at all.
October 21, 2016 01:10AM
Beautiful gold coins, Tom! Thanks for sharing those.
I've found lots of gold nuggets but no gold coins. How long til those nuggets grow in to a coin?drinking smiley
Welcome to the forum!

Dean
October 21, 2016 01:38AM
Welcome aboard Tom!!

And Congrats on the Gold Coins!!!!!!!!!!!!

I Know you are very proud and I'm very much In AWE!!eye popping smiley

I'm sure each and everyone hard won..

Yes the U.S.military artifacts are some of the most Treasured of them all...and I see you and Brian are very much appreciative of yalls success !!

There's nothing quite like it in the world to PROVE history..and that in itself can become a BURNING PASSION!!!A lifelong Quest...

Read and study and cross check maps and overlays and get permission and then to FInd that First INDICATOR...

Always Exciting and it never stops...

I feel sorry for the Guys who become RELIC HUNTERS !!!!!You will become an addict...Im here to tell you I have a Problem!! Remember That's the first step to recovery!!!tongue sticking out smiley

Good work great finds..

stay at it..

Hope to come out west someday and find some west coast Military...that is if yall don't get it all first!smiling smiley

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
October 21, 2016 01:56AM
Ok Tom, Glad to see you here. I've read many of your posts elsewhere. I'm new here also.
Now just spill your secrets about how to find all that gold. Just think about how you can move the forum forward and make all of us better detectorist.winking smiley
October 21, 2016 02:49AM
D&P-OR Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What detectors/coils did you find them gems with
> Tom???----You still haven't "fessed up" to
> that!-----We've gotta know ALL the details!
> smiling smiley-----------Del

thanx everyone for the warm welcomes. And thanx again to Keith for his CW target know-how, for us poor western state guys who don't get as fluent as you deep south guys get on that stuff.

I'll be adding my "western frontier" finds, to Brian's post hopefully later tonight. And hopefully y'all can chime in for an added look there. Same site as cal-cobra Brian's.

D&P - OR: The first gold coin I ever found (an 1880s $20 gold) was at a stage stop using a Whites Spectrum, in 1994. Then I think the next batch came with the Whites Eagle SLII. And then the final batch with an Explorer II. And .... I know this is primarily a detector technology forum but .... truth be told: Most of the good finds (gold or otherwise) are probably not so much a function of the detector (ie.: chevy vs ford conversations) as it is of LOCATION. Ie.: you're not gonna get this stuff doing sand boxes, NO MATTER what mousetrap you have. Some of the gold coins were perhaps not even deep.
October 21, 2016 02:58AM
also to d&p-or:

A bit of strategy also played in for a few: For one of them, Brian and I were at a stage stop we just researched out, that was RIDDLED with age-indicator targets. We were like kids in a candy store, giggling like little school girls ! But time was short, and I knew we only had a few more hours before we had to start the long drive back. And figured it was going to be a long while before we could plan a return trip.

So eventually, I started being picky with my time. I committed the cardinal rule "no-no" of relic hunting, and began to cherry pick. Ie.: pass foil-ish nickel-ish signals. Pass .32 calibers, etc.... Yeah Yeah, I know, "you might miss a gold ring" or "you might miss a nickel", or "you will not have the benefit of averaging over masked targets" blah blah blah. But in a case like this, with no shortage of signals to pick from, I figured "what the heck?". Thus using my Explorer's tone ID's, I started concentrating on higher conductors, and or anything that struck me as "different" than the slew of bullets we were suffering through.

And one target I dug, *just* before we left, was an 1829 British gold coin. It's their equivalent of our $5 gold, so the signal is almost exactly the same. And as you know, a $5 gold , while not exactly up in the high conductor range (eg. zinc, penny, dime, etc...), yet it's perhaps at about corroded zinc range. But would be "bolder" and "round" sounding. So I chose that signal not to pass, and bingo: Another gold smiling smiley
October 21, 2016 03:03AM
Keith Southern Wrote:

> Read and study and cross check maps and overlays
> and get permission and then to FInd that First
> INDICATOR...

> Keith

Keith when we first started detecting this site, I told Tom I had a three ringer, and he was like 'yeah right', and then he got an eagle button, and we knew it was game on! I cannot wait to back to this site, and hopefully, finally, find my own gold coin smoking smiley If Tom finds anymore on our trips, I might have to bury him in the desert - LOL!
October 21, 2016 05:52AM
Cal_cobra Wrote:
> Keith Southern Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
>
> > Read and study and cross check maps and
> overlays
> > and get permission and then to FInd that First
> > INDICATOR...
>
> > Keith
>
> Keith when we first started detecting this site, I
> told Tom I had a three ringer, and he was like
> 'yeah right', and then he got an eagle button, and
> we knew it was game on! I cannot wait to back to
> this site, and hopefully, finally, find my own
> gold coin smoking smiley If Tom finds anymore on our trips,
> I might have to bury him in the desert - LOL!

Oh don't bury him out on the desert somewhere Brian----I (we) enjoy reading his posts!----Hey---I read enough of that---maybe there's hope yet even for me! grinning smiley-----Hang in there Brian---that next gold coins got your name on it---I JUST KNOW IT!!!!!winking smiley--------Del (D&P-OR)
October 21, 2016 07:09AM
Hello and welcome to this great forum..... Stunning gold there, well done
October 21, 2016 07:30AM
Welcome to the forum,you cannot beat some of the old yellow stuff too set the old ticker kicking off into overdrive,have found a few 'milled' gold coins over the years ie Viccy Sovereigns,but my favorites are my Celtic gold staters i have both full and quarter staters from 55BC,found about 3 years back,still reckon more are in the same location.

Out of interest roughly when did the US start making milled gold coins ?? around 1800.
October 21, 2016 08:44AM
J&D, the first gold coin struck in the US was the 1795 Half- Eagle ($5)....weighed 135 grains and .9166 in fineness. It is called the Capped Bust, 1795-1807.
October 21, 2016 09:25AM
ozzie Wrote:
> J&D, the first gold coin struck in the US was the
> 1795 Half- Eagle ($5)....weighed 135 grains and
> .9166 in fineness. It is called the Capped Bust,
> 1795-1807.

ozzie,many thanks for taking the time out and providing the information !!
October 21, 2016 10:55AM
That's an impressive spread of coins, and a bit of British, too, with George 4th in the top corner.
I also had issues with the original picture 'hanging off the right side of the screen', so if it helps anyone else, here's a direct link to the picture:
[z5.ifrm.com]
October 21, 2016 02:44PM
Tom, I'm glad to see you have arrived on this Forum! thumbs down

I have been trimming down my Forum visits and posting to just a few sites, Tom D.'s being one of them, as I want to use this fall and winter to try and complete a couple of books I'm working on. It will be refreshing to visit here with you also contributing now as it will add 'character' to many discussions. I still would like to work in a trips to California to hunt some old sites with you and Brian.

Monte
October 21, 2016 03:57PM
Monte Wrote:
> .... I still would like to work in a
> trips to California to hunt some old sites with
> you and Brian. ....

Sure ! You're welcome any time. Brian and I's rates are reasonable: $100 p/h plus any gold coin you find smiling smiley haha. We'd loop in your old pals Tom & Chris and try to get us all into something interesting to hunt.