Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Question on .69 caliber CW bullets..

Posted by Detectorist 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Question on .69 caliber CW bullets..
October 21, 2016 09:41PM
How many .69 bullets could fit in a standard regulation ammo pouch? Could the bullets and balls be fired from the same weapon?

Thanks.
Re: Question on .69 caliber CW bullets..
October 21, 2016 10:17PM
A .69 regulation cartridge box would hold 40 rounds and a .58 trying to hold .69s would hold about 28 or so..that's using tin inserts

And yes you can fire a round ball in a rifled Musket

Did you find a pile of rounds and 3 ringers in same hole?? smiling smiley

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
October 21, 2016 10:38PM
Keith Southern Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> A .69 regulation cartridge box would hold 40
> rounds and a .58 trying to hold .69s would hold
> about 28 or so..that's using tin inserts
>
> And yes you can fire a round ball in a rifled
> Musket
>
>
> Did you find a pile of rounds and 3 ringers in
> same hole?? smiling smiley
>
> Keith

Not in the same hole but 14 of them in the same 25ft X 25ft area. No other indication of CW activity has been found in that area. Found one more round ball across the highway last week.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/21/2016 10:43PM by Detectorist.
October 21, 2016 11:27PM
Yeah I have found over the years just because you info bullets on the side of a road in quantity don't mean a whole lot at times..

it was raining so hard around here in may and june of 1864 that thousands and thousands of bullets got tossed from being wet..

also if there was a creek close by and they crossed the swollen creek they would dump them on the other side..And also usually see a lot of pulled bullets too from getting wet while loaded in a skirmish prone area..

I've been in spots before where there would be 40 in one hole alongside an old road...Move 5 feet find 40 more move 5 ft find 40 more ...find 400 or more bullets quick..

usually have P caps in the holes too..they are told to dump them and they empty the boxes, p cap's too..

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
October 22, 2016 04:19AM
Ive always heard the same thing. They get wet so they just dumped them. 40 rounds of.69's were heavy too.
HH
Corey
October 23, 2016 02:13AM
Confederates were not as quick to dump cartridge boxes as the Union soldiers, who had just about unlimited ability to resupply cartridges, buttons, beltplates, etc. While this is hard to believe, in some Confederate camps in South Carolina, I've found more CS buttons than bullets!
October 23, 2016 02:53AM
I'm guessing the .69 caliber was used early in the war?