Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Nothing like travelling a hundred miles to detect...

Posted by Detectorist 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Nothing like travelling a hundred miles to detect...
October 30, 2016 11:09PM
And then finding the ground is harder than concrete and the guy whose property I was going to detect as the highlight of my trip, appears to be out of town....anyway, learned a lot about my detector, especially after chiseling through 7 inches of dry dirt to find can slaw.. lol
Re: Nothing like travelling a hundred miles to detect...
October 30, 2016 11:42PM
I did the same thing today, 185 mile round trip netted me 2 zincs, a wheat and an old key, yahoooo!!!! That old saying is true, there's no place like home smiling smiley
October 31, 2016 01:23AM
Sorry about your trouble. Sometimes the research ends up being the best thing of a hunt. Just keep driving. There's silver just over the next hill....

Kenny
[www.youtube.com]
October 31, 2016 01:33AM
I hate when that happens. 2 years ago my girlfriend and I rented a house with a dock in lake George ny for a week of water detecting. Took my 17' maritime skiff, Excalibur, At pro, CTX and our Hookamax and diving gear. Had dreams of finding some nice jewelry. Found plenty of pull tabs and came face to face with the biggest snapping turtle I've ever seen. I was back in boat faster than fast. Of course I found a very promising spot the day we had to head home. It was definitely a fun trip can't wait to do it again and hit other spots on that lake.

John
October 31, 2016 03:45AM
Hard as a rock over here as well. Sorry to hear about the tire wear on a dry hunt. All this coming week off and know I'll need a pick in the fields lol
October 31, 2016 10:06AM
In September my brother and I drove around 120 miles each way to a place and took the detectors along and found very little. We kept looking at the weather maps for weeks before our trip and they kept showing lots of rain there, when we got there it was bone dry and hard digging.
October 31, 2016 01:34PM
I feel for you guys.

Here in NE Ohio the ground is butter right now. I was using the 31" sampson yesterday without using my foot. Just a gentle push with both hands.

But, you guys can pitty me in 30 to 60 days when my ground is frozen solid.
October 31, 2016 03:05PM
This is a current drought map for Tennessee. The county I live in is in the red on the eastern side. The counties I hunt Civil War relics in, are in the darker red/maroon which are labeled as D4 "exceptional drought" on the map. On my next set of off days, I am going to go down there and do some creek hunting. I did some driving around the other day down there and it suddenly dawned on me to check the creeks. They are basically dry right now; only small pools. This should make for some EASY hunting Civil War relics. Might as well take advantage of the conditions because you sure can't dig in the dirt. I have a scanner at home that I listen to for the county police and fire/rescue. Over the past week, we have had so many brush fires that I can't even remember how many there have been. At any given time, they are fighting 3 or more. The air is filled with a haze from them. The bad part is...people associate the fall season with bon fires and fire pits...and they are still trying to do them with it as dry as it is. One wayward falling ember...and bam...out of control fire.

October 31, 2016 07:32PM
I'm a bit north of you guys and in the orange. I know what you are saying about the moroons that have to burn leaves. 2 of them in my neighborhood. Its like they wait on a windy day to do it too.