Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

My outdoor testing 'modulation' MXS...

Posted by Detectorist 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
My outdoor testing 'modulation' MXS...
November 21, 2016 05:19AM
I use MXS instead of 'MX Sport' just to piss off Monte. lol

Threw a US Nickel on the ground. 4 tones. With modulation on, the tones sounded very scratchy, almost like something was wrong with the headphones. The softer tones didn't really kick in until I raised the coil about 6" Same result with 2 tones. With the modulation turned off, the unit appeared to detect deeper....

Coin and Jewelry mode with factory settings. Other modes were similar. I've just kept the modulation off in the past with great results. Eventually, I'll send it in for the cracked face plate.

This unit appears to have the first iteration of firmware upgrades as the SAT has the '8' setting.

I hope you guys appreciate freezing my gazangas off to bring you this detailed report. winking smiley
Re: My outdoor testing 'modulation' MXS...
November 21, 2016 10:41AM
Detectorist Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> I hope you guys appreciate freezing my gazangas
> off to bring you this detailed report. winking smiley

Quote:- My outdoor testing 'modulation' MXS...

No I don't, Throw another Log on the Fire and Stop being So Mean, and Commence Testing grinning smileygrinning smiley

Lol.
wjs
November 21, 2016 11:38AM
Wheres the video.....Lol
wjs
November 21, 2016 12:49PM

With the modulation turned off, the unit appeared to detect deeper....

I think the depth is the same but the audio is so bad with modulation turned on you can't get any usable signal out of it in the last inch or so.
November 22, 2016 02:02AM
Detectorist Wrote:
> I use MXS instead of 'MX Sport' just to piss off
> Monte. lol
>
> Threw a US Nickel on the ground. 4 tones. With
> modulation on, the tones sounded very scratchy,
> almost like something was wrong with the
> headphones. The softer tones didn't really kick in
> until I raised the coil about 6" Same result with
> 2 tones. With the modulation turned off, the unit
> appeared to detect deeper....
>
> Coin and Jewelry mode with factory settings.
> Other modes were similar. I've just kept the
> modulation off in the past with great results.
> Eventually, I'll send it in for the cracked face
> plate.
>
> This unit appears to have the first iteration of
> firmware upgrades as the SAT has the '8' setting.
>
> I hope you guys appreciate freezing my gazangas
> off to bring you this detailed report. winking smiley

You described the modulation issue very well. Terrible audio and only until the last 2 inches of detection the modulation (or lack of) drops off in 2 or 3 wacky crackly steps. This is not a proper working machine. If it worked right you just might like modulated audio? Too bad yours has cracks too! My second MXSport that I bought not only STILL had
a non working Aud/mod it had 7 cracks around the face plate.
November 22, 2016 02:41AM
Modulation on= hard on ears!!!!

Mumbo jumbo.
November 23, 2016 03:03AM
Tom says ALL issues are fixed. Here is a post from another forum. Tom, is it possible for you to show how the modulated audio works now?

Re: Is now the time to purchase an MX-Sport ?
Posted by: tboykin [ Send a Message ]
Date: November 08, 2016 05:14PM

JASONSPAZ1
When Whites first announced the machine I was praising the layout and expected functionality.
I have heard of a weak pinpoint with no modulation, target audio smearing, and bad target separation, as well as almost impossible salt water performance.
In a nut shell have these issued been fully resolved or should a possible customer have to wonder if there are more firm ware upgrades coming?
I am not bashing Whites in any way. Every manufacture of every product has bumps in the road. I just want to be sure the MX-Sport is now being manufactured at 100% spec performance?
Thanks in advance.
Jason
HH

Jason, we have addressed all of the issues with the MX Sport. Now is a great time to buy, mostly because of the free stuff you get with the machine - MX Sport Christmas Bundle.

We are considering offering extended warranties in the future, but rest assured if you have ANY problems with this particular machine, White's will have your back. The firmware is solid, mechanical/build is improved for extra durability, and we are confident in the product. It was a rocky launch, but we have learned many lessons from it and will use those bruises to perfect our processes going forward.

Tom@White's

Social Media Guy @ White's
November 23, 2016 04:49PM
Well if anyone does have any issues they should contact Whites directly because they won't get fixed on forums. And it is not Toms job to fix them, So it is best that people call Whites and talk to Mary.
November 23, 2016 05:29PM
auminesweeper Wrote:
> Well if anyone does have any issues they should
> contact Whites directly because they won't get
> fixed on forums. And it is not Toms job to fix
> them, So it is best that people call Whites and
> talk to Mary.

Apparently, it's more fun to whine on the forums.
November 23, 2016 05:59PM
khouse Wrote:
> Tom says ALL issues are fixed. Here is a post
> from another forum. Tom, is it possible for you
> to show how the modulated audio works now?

Will shoot another video next week on sensitivity and tweaking the MX Sport for maximum depth. Might include AudMod, though it has the opposite effect - you lose significant depth (at least perceived depth) when weak signals are fainter.

I know without proper AudMod a metal detector is COMPLETELY UNUSABLE and an absolute DISGRACE to metal detecting and also possibly a sign of the APOCALYPSE as well as a personal insult to the history of mankind, spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
November 23, 2016 06:09PM
tboykin Wrote:
> khouse Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Tom says ALL issues are fixed. Here is a post
> > from another forum. Tom, is it possible for
> you
> > to show how the modulated audio works now?
>
> Will shoot another video next week on sensitivity
> and tweaking the MX Sport for maximum depth. Might
> include AudMod, though it has the opposite effect
> - you lose significant depth (at least perceived
> depth) when weak signals are fainter.
>
> I know without proper AudMod a metal detector is
> COMPLETELY UNUSABLE and an absolute DISGRACE to
> metal detecting and also possibly a sign of the
> APOCALYPSE as well as a personal insult to the
> history of mankind, spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

So it's still broke? lol
November 23, 2016 06:11PM
tboykin Wrote:
> khouse Wrote:
> -----
> you
>
>

lol I've found many good target that other top notch detectors failed to locate with their super duper audio modulation. However, White's has a commitment to provide some type of audio mudulation...
November 23, 2016 06:43PM
tboykin Wrote:
> khouse Wrote:
> -----
> you
>
>

In all honesty Tom, i feel for all the guys who splashed out their hard earned money for this ' faulty' detector, then you come on like a smart arse and make a joke of it not doing as advertised.
If your the social media guru for White's, then i think they have chosen you unwisely, your simply making a mockery of the company imho.
November 23, 2016 07:21PM
I don't have any mean intentions, never want to laugh at another man's troubles... but what we do is a hobby and should always be FUN. So I try and keep some perspective on things. Part of that is humor, which I suppose can be hard to get accross via a text forum. I figure metal detecting is not life and death (unless you are talking MINES), and there is always an opportunity to fix things when they go wrong because of that. Speaking of that...

If I bought something that didn't work as advertised I would be p-d off too. That's listening to customers is key, and why I am here... The factory listens to everything CUSTOMERS say about the MX Sport. We will continue to do so, and I'll continue to monitor the forums to get a head start on anything major. But a call to the factory is still the quickest way to have your voice heard if you are having issues with a White's metal detector - 1-541-367-6121.

Now I'd like to put a question to all - would you rather have a red-blooded person with a sense of humor on this forum (tboykin) or a robotic, soulless "factory" account (who say things like "Thank you for your concerns! We are committed to providing our customers with the very best in customer service! Please direct all questions and concerns to boringrobotaccount@whiteselectronics.com!")? Either way I will listen, but I would like to put the power in your hands on how you'd like to interact with the factory.

Please vote below-

1. tboykin
2. robot

If robot wins I will delete my account. Let's see what happens!
November 23, 2016 07:26PM
Tom, look at how Makro deals with it's customers online, write it down and copy it.
November 23, 2016 07:34PM
One thing we might need to consider is the amount of times that Tom has gone back and forth relying messages to HQ that he might be "P'd" off being powerless to give folks what they ask for, Remembering that he has been the meat in the sandwich since this first came up, This is why people should contact Whites directly yes it is a PITA, But Chewing Tom out is not the Answer..

I thought his post was amusing, that I had to re-read it a couple of times just to be sure of what I was reading, But on the other hand Tom's post says a lot more in that this might be getting him down too, He might work @ Whites but he is still one of us, And it is wrong to kick him when he's down.

Publically Tom is the only one who has come out here and offered to help, Any other comments on the net are mainly public notices., I would rather give him a hand back up than kick him when he's down.

John.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/23/2016 08:31PM by auminesweeper.
November 23, 2016 08:10PM
Tom, I appreciate your work. Please stay human. But, this is a very technical detecting forum. Most of us don't sugar coat. Khouse and his customers aren't the only dealer/customers burned by the MXS release debacle. Me and my customers have been as well. White's has always been one of the best customer service companies out there. No arguing that. I guess we, dealers and customers, feel our concerns haven't been heard or rather ignored. The modulation thing is just a revelation of a much bigger issue/change within White's. You being a public face for the company are just dealing with the building effects of this issue due to MX Sport issues.
November 23, 2016 09:44PM
detectingMO Wrote:
> Please stay human.

I hope to for another couple years at least!

I don't have any issue with relaying info to the factory.. Kind the opposite- I feel it's my duty. Very crucial to listen to customers and our network of dealers. But also weed out the noise from people who have never swung a detector or just want to raise a ruckus. I want the forums to be an integral part of our customer service, but the quickest way to get your voice heard is always going to be a direct line (i.e. phone call, email to distributor). To some people the forums are just "innernet stuff." But IMO that devalues the wealth of experience and knowledge they contain.

The one thing that frustrates me about forums (even Jeep or Chevy forums) is people unwilling to form their own opinions based on first-hand experience. They are QUICK to parrot what one person says or pile on without doing anything to make an informed decision on something themselves. For example, if there's a detailed write up on features a person doesn't like or where something is lacking performance, that goes a long way towards developing a product. But saying "This is junk and it stinks and I hate it" doesn't do anybody any good. Some guys just want to watch the world burn. But I can't change that - some people are leaders, some are quick to buckle under and fall in line.

FWIW I think Makro does a great job at getting on the forums and interacting with their customers in general. But I only speak 'Murican and I would rather leave that style of interaction to them since they seem to have it down pretty good. But maybe I can leave the comedy routine for my wife and dogs. Ok, maybe just the dogs. She thinks I'm a smart-ass too...

I will work on doing some more technical videos for the MX Sport going forward since those seem to be well-received by you guys. No more bananas!
November 24, 2016 12:06AM
tboykin Wrote:
> detectingMO Wrote:
> -----
> > Please stay human.
>
> I hope to for another couple years at least!
>
> I don't have any issue with relaying info to the
> factory.. Kind the opposite- I feel it's my duty.
> Very crucial to listen to customers and our
> network of dealers. But also weed out the noise
> from people who have never swung a detector or
> just want to raise a ruckus. I want the forums to
> be an integral part of our customer service, but
> the quickest way to get your voice heard is always
> going to be a direct line (i.e. phone call, email
> to distributor). To some people the forums are
> just "innernet stuff." But IMO that devalues the
> wealth of experience and knowledge they contain.
>
> The one thing that frustrates me about forums
> (even Jeep or Chevy forums) is people unwilling to
> form their own opinions based on first-hand
> experience. They are QUICK to parrot what one
> person says or pile on without doing anything to
> make an informed decision on something themselves.
> For example, if there's a detailed write up on
> features a person doesn't like or where something
> is lacking performance, that goes a long way
> towards developing a product. But saying "This is
> junk and it stinks and I hate it" doesn't do
> anybody any good. Some guys just want to watch the
> world burn. But I can't change that - some people
> are leaders, some are quick to buckle under and
> fall in line.
>
> FWIW I think Makro does a great job at getting on
> the forums and interacting with their customers in
> general. But I only speak 'Murican and I would
> rather leave that style of interaction to them
> since they seem to have it down pretty good. But
> maybe I can leave the comedy routine for my wife
> and dogs. Ok, maybe just the dogs. She thinks I'm
> a smart-ass too...
>
> I will work on doing some more technical videos
> for the MX Sport going forward since those seem to
> be well-received by you guys. No more bananas!

About the banana coin trick, that was really a blow below the belt coming from Steve Howard. He is really better than that and I never saw the humor in it.

The air test with the MX Sport, MXT and MX5 was a dumb test also. I have the MX5 and after a sensitivity setting of 8 the threshold gets louder, it has a threshold adjustment that would let the signal come through the loud threshold. I'm getting an air test of 9¼" with the little 6½" 5.3 Eclipse coil, which is very good for such a small coil.

My 2¢ advice is to do a better job of Beta testing instead of the customers doing what should have been done by the factory... before ever hitting the marketeye rolling smiley
wjs
November 24, 2016 12:29AM

Will shoot another video next week on sensitivity and tweaking the MX Sport for maximum depth. Might include AudMod, though it has the opposite effect - you lose significant depth (at least perceived depth) when weak signals are fainter.

Looking forward to the video. How about one showing the depth difference between the stock coil and the ultimate coil.
November 24, 2016 12:38AM
wjs Wrote:
>
> Looking forward to the video. How about one
> showing the depth difference between the stock
> coil and the ultimate coil.

Shot this before heading home to the wife today, enjoy and happy Thanksgiving. Thankful to have VERY PATIENT customers....

[youtu.be]
November 24, 2016 02:18AM
OK Tom I appreciate the video. I know it took some of your family time and I respect that you did that. Although the tone volume going in a strait line for a bit (depending on the power level) then falling off is not what I'm used to. This video shows me that it is way different than the two MXS's I had. Both of mine had audio that ran strait to about the last 2 inches of detection then dropped off in 3 or so wacky steps. I don't know how else to say it? The machine in your video works much better than either one of mine. But my last machine had the SAT that went to 8 and I was assured from my distributor that it had ALL the updates being fresh off the truck. I will now wait until my buddy Bill gets his back for review.
November 24, 2016 12:48PM
Well tom i will say this quote is poking fun of customers who trusted whites and have been frustrated over the detector not working as advertised is not what i expected.. i would bet that just that one option audmod is a top priority for some who purchased the MXSport. Same as when i look for a truck, i need a towing package and posi track.. or 4x4. If those dont function i dont buy it period. So if you advertised audio modulation and it dont work at all then dont be surprised what we say on the forums.

tboykin Wrote:
>
AudMod, though it has the opposite effect
>
November 24, 2016 03:59PM
I was thinking the same thing he comes off as a wise ass but I am not sure if he is trying to or not?

ghound Wrote:
> tboykin Wrote:
> -----
> > khouse Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > Tom says ALL issues are fixed. Here is a
> post
> > > from another forum. Tom, is it possible for
> > you
> > > to show how the modulated audio works now?
> >
> > Will shoot another video next week on
> sensitivity
> > and tweaking the MX Sport for maximum depth.
> Might
> > include AudMod, though it has the opposite
> effect
> > - you lose significant depth (at least
> perceived
> > depth) when weak signals are fainter.
> >
> > I know without proper AudMod a metal detector
> is
> > COMPLETELY UNUSABLE and an absolute DISGRACE to
> > metal detecting and also possibly a sign of the
> > APOCALYPSE as well as a personal insult to the
> > history of mankind, spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
>
> In all honesty Tom, i feel for all the guys who
> splashed out their hard earned money for this '
> faulty' detector, then you come on like a smart
> arse and make a joke of it not doing as
> advertised.
> If your the social media guru for White's, then i
> think they have chosen you unwisely, your simply
> making a mockery of the company imho.
November 24, 2016 04:17PM
tboykin Wrote:

> Shot this before heading home to the wife today,
> enjoy and happy Thanksgiving. Thankful to have
> VERY PATIENT customers....
>
> [youtu.be]

Great Video Tom, And it is plain to see why folks are having such an issue with the Audio Mod mode, From what this video shows the Mod is almost identical to that of the MXT but with the MXT as you get closer to the coil the signal gets louder to the point of the increase in volume is barely noticeable until the machine either gives a Double hit on the Item or you get the overload signal,

I would say and Oh Lordy it Grieves me to say this, Lol ,,,But the MX-Sport's modulation Issues is about as good as it gets.

And I would also point out that the MXT's Audio Mod reacts pretty much the same as we have seen here apart from the very slight But barely noticeable rise in volume as the item approaches the coil "Once" the signal has gotten past that point where the signal gotten Loud.

Well done Tom.

John,
November 24, 2016 04:57PM
I don't understand why aud mod fades out completely before it reaches the full depth of detection, seems like it needs stretched out somewhere inbetween, or fade to a set point thats still audable till it reaches full detection depth.
My detector works in the opposite way, it's mod audio can be heard to full depth, in boosted audio is an inch or two less.
November 24, 2016 05:39PM
ghound Wrote:
> I don't understand why aud mod fades out
> completely before it reaches the full depth of
> detection, seems like it needs stretched out
> somewhere inbetween, or fade to a set point thats
> still audable till it reaches full detection
> depth.
> My detector works in the opposite way, it's mod
> audio can be heard to full depth, in boosted audio
> is an inch or two less.
I'm used to more of a modulated audio that goes from strong to low in an even line. The video shows that the line goes strait for a while then drops down in an even line. Not exactly what I want but way better than the two machines I had. The machine in the video is the first machine I've know to have a somewhat usable modulated audio. I think Whites are on the right track. Maybe a little more tweaking would get it closer to it other brothers such as the M6 and MXT's modulated audio? Hope so.....

Kenny
[www.youtube.com]
November 24, 2016 05:41PM
ghound Wrote:
> I don't understand why aud mod fades out
> completely before it reaches the full depth of
> detection, seems like it needs stretched out
> somewhere inbetween, or fade to a set point thats
> still audable till it reaches full detection
> depth.
> My detector works in the opposite way, it's mod
> audio can be heard to full depth, in boosted audio
> is an inch or two less.

G'day mate,

What you can't hear on the Video is the threshold and the signal does not disappear completely but it slowly fades in to the mixed mode Audio which adds quite a few inches in depth until it no longer effects the threshold.
November 24, 2016 05:52PM
Yes i can't hear the mixed tone, i can hear Tom saying the audio was fading away to a whisper, then gone before full detection depth.
Just seems weird they can't extend the audio to full depth, maybe as it's not an overly deep air testing machine to say a Racer, you don't seem to get the full on audio effect?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/24/2016 05:58PM by ghound.
November 24, 2016 06:19PM
ghound Wrote:
> Yes i can't hear the mixed tone, i can hear Tom
> saying the audio was fading away to a whisper,
> then gone before full detection depth.
> Just seems weird they can't extend the audio to
> full depth, maybe as it's not an overly deep air
> testing machine to say a Racer, you don't seem to
> get the full on audio effect?

Yeah mate, that's right, depending on the coil used some whites machines will let you hear it at enormous distances even after the bleep has stopped,

So I find if you use it like a ML GP/GPX then it will surprize the heck out of a person as to just what it will do, Machines like the MXT that modulation / mixed mode combo is a wonderful thing, where as running a machine like the MX-Sport with it off makes some impressive bleep distances but once they have reached their maximum distance that's it there is no more, but using the Mod and mixed mode can add Huge amounts of distance depending on the target,, Using the MXT or the MX-Sport as a dig and Bleep machine is never going to break any records, but use them the other way and the worm Turns,

john.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/24/2016 06:51PM by auminesweeper.