Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

A very technical question regarding Reactivity

Posted by Kevin B 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
A very technical question regarding Reactivity
November 24, 2016 07:53PM
I kind of understand.....(but not much)....the Reactivity of a metal detector. It has to do with how fast the unit resets itself after beeping on a piece of metal. I am taking some time to really understand my XP Deus (this is my fifth one and I still don't really KNOW it in a way that I should). I have owned my present Deus for almost a year.......a new breakthrough for me......so I have decided to learn this thing inside and out. Now, having said that......please allow me to ply my question: I live very near the Tennessee River which forms the boundary for West and Middle Tennessee. I would say, from the iron readings on several different units throughout the last few years........very few years.....that the ground that I hunt falls into the category of mild to moderate, and occasionally severe, soil mineralization.
I have always hunted mainly with my Deus set with a Reactivity of 2. But I am starting to warm up....and hopefully, wise up....to the idea of using a Reactivity setting of 1......for additional depth. (silencer is always at -01). My exact question is this: in moderately mineralized ground, is a faster reactivity of two superior (depth-wise) to a slower reactivity of one? And if so, why?
My question stems from something that I faintly recall reading concerning a faster reactivity being better for mineralized ground. I appreciate it......and Happy Thanksgiving. Kevin
Re: A very technical question regarding Reactivity
November 24, 2016 11:11PM
Maybe not too technical here.

My experiences,,,,when bobbing coil on Deus,,,,you see half scale shaded,,,reactivity 1 is about low as you can go,,,and it will be pretty swing speed sensitive.

Low than half 0 or 1 will work,,,but slow down.

You start seen more than half,,,2 is useable,,3 will start shining,,,3/4 scale or more,,,3 is useable,,4 will work.

Good general purpose is usually 2.

Swing speed can be used to cheat somewhat to use (not necessarily the ideal reactivity setting).

Also,,,if a slower reactivity than what soil minerals wants,,,tone that comes in can be a little shakier,,,likes it is trying to squeeze through,,sorta forced. Usually in these cases dial up 1 level reactivity and this tone presentation over the same target will be smoother reporting.

Like any detector,,and the ground--- variables involved,,,hard to give hard core one size fits all.

Keeping audio report at level 5 or higher,,,will definitely let deeper targets signals be heard more easily or at all.

Also,,watch your ground balance,,,more critical as the mineral levels rise,,,,one can be fooled,,thinking their reactivity maybe causing the signals to be somewhat squirrelly,,when in fact it's the ground balance that is causing.
Cheers

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/24/2016 11:16PM by tnsharpshooter.
November 24, 2016 11:58PM
Best way to find out the answer is to get over some deep targets and play with the setting until you find what suits you best for your conditions. I run reactivity of one mostly in my milder ground unless extreme nail beds are present.

Works very well for me in my relic sites and pulled a 1 dollar gold coin out of heavy nails for me last year at good depth.
November 25, 2016 12:47AM
You can get away with faster reactivity Kevin if you keep your filter more open..and by this I mean your silencer..put it on -1..low as it will go..

But that only works to a point..

also for mineral you'll find the 18khz handles the faster reactivity than say 12

But remember there's tradeoffs..faster reactivity hurt's the depth too...On a 3.2 version DEUS I never see a reason to go past 3 reactivity..4 starts to hurt the depth and starts to clip target's response time too much..

if you run your reactivity low like 1 in bad dirt the snapshot is longer and it will allow mineral to at times overpower a legitimate target yet 1 is deeper than say 3....but there's hope you can back off the Silencer to like zero or positive 1 and regain some intelligence from the ground swamping the filters...the silencer is a key ingredient and often overlooked..too many spend so much time on the reactivity yet ignore the silencer..

You need to find that balancing point for your soil at that moment.and also tune it to what you're trying to accomplish..

if you're in sugar soil then lower reactivity and low silencer can get great depth....

in medium dirt you can turn up the reactivity say 2 and keep silencer on -1 and still stay intelligent ..

In nasty soil a 3 reactivity and -1 can work well to see through..

Yet lets say your wanting some depth in medium soil..you can drop back to the 2 and if the filters seemed swamped you can add some silencer ..maybe 0..

In real nasty dirt looking for depth you can stay at 2 reactivity and add some more silencer..like +1..

lost of setups to get the machine to do what you want..

For unmasking I stay at 3 reactivity and silencer -1..I want pure iron bleed to unmask....I don't need great depth..I need to see around iron

But in open sites bad soil it's different ..you're trying to get some depth too so tuning is required..and tuning is available..

you want to hear as much as you cna in the audio .yet you have to keep it intelligent..that's why there's settings available..Once your audio intelligence is lost its over..

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
November 27, 2016 09:05PM
I appreciate the replies, guys! Keith, thank you for hitting the question head on concerning how reactivity reacts in different soils. I'm slowly gaining a bit of intelligence about the Deus. Tomorrow, my WS-5 headphones will arrive and I'm gonna be spending alloy more time in my test garden. Thanks to all and Merry Christmas. Kevin
November 27, 2016 09:43PM
Wow so many ways to answer this question. For me if I'm using a dis of say 6 then I'm not hearing everything that is iron. So this type of hunting I would use a disc of 2 if I was where my deus was really sounding off with a disc of say 6 then I would to to 3 and maybe 4. Maybe a site that has loads of nails or iron from the rain or snow that is leaching into the dirt. You have to think of iron powder also that starts to spread when wet. Three on my deus starts to cut the tone into more of cut off tone. And if your hunting in lots of iron then you want to use full tones and a very low disc of maybe 0-1 again I would crank up the recovery to 3 and swing faster. At clean areas if there are any left I would use 1 and of course if you looking for depth you may want to change your freq to at least 12 if not lower but for iron I stick my freq at 18 and also wet ground. If you know your detector have two programs set up or just change the one you are using and try a recovery of 2 and then 3 when you hit a target and see what works for you. You should hit the target but the higher the freq the more of broken tone I seem to get.

Now the new update is going to have a 2.5 and I think that is because of how three works. You have to know the sounds and not always dig crisp tones.

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
November 28, 2016 01:22AM
Now you know why Tesoro beep and dig units have their following.....
November 28, 2016 11:38AM
Dan-Pa. Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Now you know why Tesoro beep and dig units have
> their following.....

Anyone in to Detecting regardless of brand choice, Have to Admire Tesoro.
November 28, 2016 11:46AM
auminesweeper Wrote:
> Dan-Pa. Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Now you know why Tesoro beep and dig units have
> > their following.....
>
> Anyone in to Detecting regardless of brand choice,
> Have to Admire Tesoro.

Yes---those little Tesoros are very "addictive"----very effective little units!
November 28, 2016 12:55PM
The work of the primary filters of the cascade can be seen on the tests on the ferrite:

Test 1

Test 2
November 28, 2016 07:02PM
Thanks for more replies, men!!! I'm going to have some studying to do. New WS-5 Headphones today and FINALLY we are getting some rain (100% today and 60% chance tomorrow).
Guys, I really do appreciate all of the feedback. I am not a Deus fanboy.... it's just that I like how they work in AND out of iron. I wish that Tesoro would come out with a Tejon that uses two tones. I'd be all over it.
I use my Deus as a beep and dig machine if conditions warrant. Given the fact that deep targets usually do not give a numerical reading on the Deus doesn't bother me a bit. If I get a good repeatable signal...I dig. If I am on the outer-skirts of a CW campsite where there is not much iron, I even dig the iron-grunts because, my Deus, like most other units I have had, will grunt on especially deep bullets. I am getting to where I can tell if it's going to be a bent square nail or a bullet, but I am still several years away from being good at it. But learning is 3/4 of the fun. Merry Christmas to all of you.......kevin
November 28, 2016 09:31PM
Kevin B Wrote:
> Thanks for more replies, men!!! I'm going to have
> some studying to do. New WS-5 Headphones today
> and FINALLY we are getting some rain (100% today
> and 60% chance tomorrow).
> Guys, I really do appreciate all of the
> feedback. I am not a Deus fanboy.... it's just
> that I like how they work in AND out of iron. I
> wish that Tesoro would come out with a Tejon that
> uses two tones. I'd be all over it.
> I use my Deus as a beep and dig machine if
> conditions warrant. Given the fact that deep
> targets usually do not give a numerical reading
> on the Deus doesn't bother me a bit. If I get a
> good repeatable signal...I dig. If I am on the
> outer-skirts of a CW campsite where there is not
> much iron, I even dig the iron-grunts because, my
> Deus, like most other units I have had, will grunt
> on especially deep bullets. I am getting to where
> I can tell if it's going to be a bent square nail
> or a bullet, but I am still several years away
> from being good at it. But learning is 3/4 of
> the fun. Merry Christmas to all of
> you.......kevin

Kevin, Once you get use to all the Tools the Deus has you will see what a Great piece of kit it is, They must of sold 00000 of them over here So that's says something as to how good they are.

Good luck mate and happy Christmas to you and yours.

John.
November 29, 2016 06:33PM
Thank you, John and I wish a very Merry Christmas to you and your family and friends. If you don't mind me asking......are you from Australia? Or Great Britain? I love both places although I have been to neither one. I'm a self-professed Anglo-phile and Australia-phile. I have spent hours watching Youtube vids of people driving through Britain (I prefer the Midlands and Yorkshire and the Northeast of England.) I also subscribe to the ACORN-TV channel which has a fairly large catalog of British, Scottish, and Australian TV shows and movies. I can see myself settling down with a beautiful Australian lady (with a large dowry...lol) or a nice lady from the Scottish Borders (a lot of history in the ground there, from what I have read.) Anyway, I appreciate your kind post. And I also appreciate the kind replies from the rest of y'all. Merry Christmas to all of you. kevin