Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

TDI pro question

Posted by Sand dog 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
TDI pro question
November 29, 2016 07:07PM
Looking to get the 18v reidman battery for my TDI pro but not sure there still being made as I tried to contact them but get no answer. Does anyone know if they have a new number or email? thanks

John
Re: TDI pro question
November 29, 2016 07:26PM
Just out of curiosity why are you interested in the Reidman 18v battery option ?? as far as i can see the battery packs that come with the Pro version are more than man enough for the job,must admit when they stopped producing the Pro option i was a little concerned what would happen if the main battery pack did die and what would replace it,but after speaking with folks who have owned the original machines from new have never had a battery die on them or infact have never heard of one dying either.

But just for peace of mind i had access to a new battery pack so just to be on the safe side i bought that as a precaution and use it as a possible backup pack if i was too go away for a detecting weekend,also have a car charger as well just incase,so all angles covered as they say.

The 'sl' version is a different ball game,of course one has a normal battery backup just incase,but the biggest battery advantage here is that they also use the higher capacity RNB batteries that are used on say the DFX and MXT machine rated at upto 3100mah,which gives you a far better running time over the Whites battery pack.

These are of course just my thoughts on battery power and the TDI range,it may or may not help.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/29/2016 07:38PM by Junk and Disorderly.
November 29, 2016 07:36PM
That power pack might kill the TDI, Because Whites said that the highest voltage allowed is around 16v +/- and much more than that and you fry the insides, As J&D said the SL needs the R&V pack because the factory one runs a much lower voltage where the Pro is pretty much Max'd out, Putting 18v in to the pro will not boost the out put of the machine, On the SL the 14v pack gives the SL a longer run time and it makes the signals a little more positive but it does nothing for the Depth.
November 29, 2016 08:21PM
The Original TDI and TDI pro I heard use 25v caps and that they could use 18v safely. Also heard the extra voltage equates to afew more inches of depth and I need all I can get while hunting my beaches since they've done the beach replenishment. Thanks for your concerns I definitely don't want to try this machine.

John
November 29, 2016 08:50PM
I made a 9 cell pack up for the TDI SL, The extra voltage did not seem to do anything, but changing the batteries to 2650 mah increased the run time from 4h 20 mins to 6hrs 37mins.

Reg Sniff is the man to talk to because he is a wizard when it come's to the TDI's,
November 29, 2016 08:57PM
I have tested a 14.8 volt battery in my SL. It does increase the depth in nickel air tests by about an inch+. Larger targets ring up even deeper. 16 volts is max on the SL, the Pro can handle more but not much - at your own risk!
November 29, 2016 09:22PM
tboykin Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have tested a 14.8 volt battery in my SL. It
> does increase the depth in nickel air tests by
> about an inch+. Larger targets ring up even
> deeper. 16 volts is max on the SL, the Pro can
> handle more but not much - at your own risk!

Yeah the modded pack I made is on Steve's site and I think it was running around 13.2 volts in the SL, I did not want to push it even though it's limit is a bit higher just to be safe.

John.
November 29, 2016 11:18PM
If you are looking at gaining a few extra inches on the beach safely then a slightly bigger coil option than the 12'' DF coil may be the way forward,i currently use a Coiltek 14x9 Mono,15x12 Commando coil and a 18'' Detech these are GPX/GP coils that are very deep,but the deepest coil by far is the 20'' Sierra Grande Mono made by Miner John coils but that is specifically made for the TDI range and can only be described as phenomenally deep but only on large target but that is what i bought it for Relic/Hoard hunting.

If it was say a older out of warranty machine rather than a brand new one like yours is then it may be worth trying the 18v option but not at a risk of frying it,slightly larger coil option then becomes slightly more appealing.
November 30, 2016 12:03AM
My TDI Pro had very Good Battery life with The stock battery & Charger... Also it held a Charge between Beach Trips real good....... Also The TDI Pro with The Stock coil was very Very deep on My salt water Beach,

The deepest detector I ever used .....I can'i imagine it with a Bigger coil .......

Hope you have good digging tools & Take all your Vitamins before you start your hunt.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 11/30/2016 02:09AM by Rob in (ca).
November 30, 2016 01:45PM
Too bad Whites didn't put some of their MX Sport wailing and gnashing energy into the development and refinement of the TDI Pro. I have had mine for several years,along with the SL,and have left my ML Pi's in the closet.
November 30, 2016 03:22PM
doc holiday Wrote:
> Too bad Whites didn't put some of their MX Sport
> wailing and gnashing energy into the development
> and refinement of the TDI Pro. I have had mine for
> several years,along with the SL,and have left my
> ML Pi's in the closet.

To be honest I wish Whites would give us the TDI Pro back. But Needs must,,, I to prefer the TDI Pro and the SL above all others,

You Twist a knob and you see what it does right away and I like that about Whites machines with knobs and switches and the Results are instant,

John.
November 30, 2016 03:53PM
Sand dog Wrote:
> Looking to get the 18v reidman battery for my TDI
> pro but not sure there still being made as I tried
> to contact them but get no answer. Does anyone
> know if they have a new number or email? thanks
>
> John

John, I have one that I used with my TDI SL and it worked great, I sold the TDI and kept the battery pack, if you are intresred in it let me know.
November 30, 2016 04:01PM
Hobo Wrote:
> Sand dog Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Looking to get the 18v reidman battery for my
> TDI
> > pro but not sure there still being made as I
> tried
> > to contact them but get no answer. Does anyone
> > know if they have a new number or email? thanks
>
> >
> > John
>
> John, I have one that I used with my TDI SL and it
> worked great, I sold the TDI and kept the battery
> pack, if you are intresred in it let me know.

I'm sorry to say that the Pro and the SL use different battery packs,

John.
November 30, 2016 06:34PM
Hobo. If it's the 18v for the TDI pro I'd definitely be interested. Let me know. Thanks

John
December 02, 2016 12:29AM
I think Reg and Eric F. too if not mistaken did say The TDI would run 18V...

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
December 02, 2016 09:24PM
My TDI SL. Worked great on 18v.
December 02, 2016 10:34PM
Hobo, I sent you PM.

John