Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Project repair Morgans CZ-6a detector...lots of pics!!

Posted by Keith Southern 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Project repair Morgans CZ-6a detector...lots of pics!!
December 12, 2016 12:40AM
Morgan sent me his CZ-6a to see if it could swap out the coil connector on the housing and on the 8 inch coil...the threads were damaged on both

I said sure send it down I swap them alot on machines...

So I ordered the parts...and he sent it to me...took me a few days to get to it after I go it,, but when I cracked it open..it wasn't what I was expecting..connector is mounted on a stainless plate that is pop riveted onto the board..and lots of silicone for the weatherproofing..same color wires used for all 5 pinouts so had to make sure I knew which wire went to which pin so silicone had to be removed..

heres before we start

remove batteries and two screws beside connector..

it slides out through the front of housing..and you can see the stacked boards..

unhook the power wire from board coming from battery compartment.and unclip paperclip used for shield grounding

undo the phillips and slotted screws

and two screws in the back of back that goes into the stainless coil plug holder..

then the boards can be separated..and you can see the silicone covering the coil plug wires..

now I removed some of the silicone as it was attached to the components too..Used a dental pick..

now here's the fun part I had to get the stainless mounting plate off the board to remove the connector as it mounts from the backside and the components on the boards don't allow rear removal ..first I have to get the pop rivets out..

I got a sharp 1/8th bit and pair of vice grips and locked the bit on it and removed the rivets by hand power..no electric drill was used..and here it is with rivets removed

to get the connector loose we need to remove the foam over metal gasket around the connector.that will expose the retaining nut seen in previous pic..

finish removing the silicone..

now everything can come apart..

I marked all the wires with permanent markers and unsoldered and the soldered on new connector

re-pop riveted

re-siliconed

then did all in reversal till it was back together,,

buttoned it back up put batteries in and works perfect..!!!

one thing I want to add while I was in there I have never seen so many potentiometers except maybe on a MXT LOL!! ..no wonder these things are hot and cold.

The only way I know Tom can tune them also is to have a set of jumper wires ..to tie the boards back together after he separates them while he turns the pot's..

hope this may help someone!!

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/12/2016 06:08PM by Keith Southern.
Re: Project repair Morgans detector...lots of pics!!
December 12, 2016 01:00AM
It helped me to know to send that kind of work to you. thumbs down HH jim tn
December 12, 2016 01:08AM
Why would I ever want to learn how to do that.....winking smiley
December 12, 2016 01:59AM
Keith I can't thank you enough for taking on this challenge for me!! I really appreciate you taking the time out of your busy schedule to fix it up for me. Next place it's going is to Tom Danikowski to get her all tuned up. It currently airtests a dime at 10 3/4" maybe with Toms tuning it may get a little more depth but most importantly is it IDing targets more accurately and at depth.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/12/2016 02:00AM by 88junior.
December 12, 2016 02:23AM
Did you consider cleaning up the threads with a chasing die before doing all that labor?
December 12, 2016 02:49AM
Here Keith is doing stuff like this, and here I am thinking I did something amazing by multi tasking and making a homemade batch of peanut butter fudge and homemade beef stew at the same time. lol
December 12, 2016 03:14AM
oooooweee----made me dizzy lookin at all that---I gotta go set down!!!
December 12, 2016 03:29AM
Looks like a nice job.

Do you take any ESD precautionary measures when working???

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/12/2016 03:34AM by tnsharpshooter.
December 12, 2016 03:37AM
Bayard Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Did you consider cleaning up the threads with a
> chasing die before doing all that labor?

Yes I thought about that but the old connector didn't have enough threads to do it. And on top of it the connector had a hair line crack also.
December 12, 2016 03:58AM
Excellent work......didn't know that you had some tech skills along with everything else. Nice documentation.
December 12, 2016 04:46AM
Good job and good info Keith thumbs down

We can see/tell you've done this a few times before!
December 12, 2016 11:15AM
Hi, Keith I did a CZ6 to CZ6a mod a few months back, found the same thing. More work than I first expected. Worked great when finished.
With so many pots, no wonder why Tom D. has the monopoly on tuning the CZ5-6's. Imagine adjusting a few wrong by some one who knows not what they are for,
then totally messing up the tuning.

DeepTech Vista X with 3 search coils.
Works for me
December 12, 2016 02:15PM
And folks ask why this platform hasn't been developed further - what a nightmare to produce.

Rick Kempf
Gold Canyon AZ- where there is no gold
December 12, 2016 03:15PM
I wish I had 57 hours in a day like Keith,oh wait that's the number of states obama said he visited. Anyway Keith is a National Resource and we are soooo lucky to have his unselfish presence.Thanks Keith.
December 12, 2016 03:18PM
If only to be produced in digital format. Ridding (23) pots to adjust. ,,,,, Then, I could retire.
December 12, 2016 03:56PM
The CZ was launched 24 years ago. Fisher has made it pretty clear that Dave Johnson and company know a lot more now than they did then. A new multi frequency platform from First Texas - whenever it comes - will be very different than this great, but 24 year old - platform.

Rick Kempf
Gold Canyon AZ- where there is no gold
December 12, 2016 06:22PM
A pleasure to help out Morgan..

And yes it is air testing a dime at about 10.3/4..

And is smearing and mis I.d'ing in either mode..

A trip to Tom is in order.

Again happy to do what I could!!

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
December 12, 2016 06:26PM
I do at times especially when working on or replacing I.C.'s.

all I've ever used though is the wrist strap..

Most of the time I'm on concrete and wooden table..and high humidity South ...LOL..

Keith

-Nikola Tesla
December 12, 2016 06:50PM
Key word is SOME in that statement!!!

Ive actually with y limited skills developed one well known mods. It is the Cibola ground balance mod and trigger pinpoint ..I've done about 40 or so now...no mess ups Yet knock on wood..!!

Have a couple of Tweaks too for the Lobo St and the older Musky's..

All my experience came from my Dad..he was in the Marines for 38 years...8 regular 30 reserve..He was a Master Sgt. and was involved with the OV-10 aircraft...His Squadron worked on the avionics of the aircraft..

He also worked as a Tv/Radio repairman at times awhile I was a kid..and I helped him..

From the time I was old enough to walk I remember my dad showed me everything he did and I was REQUIRED to also participate...From grass cutting to house painting to tree felling If he was working I also worked...We even tore Motors out of cars and rebuilt them and put them back in...he would drive a car till the wheels fell off..LOL..

guess that the reason I liked metal detectors at an early age ..it was a electronic device and my dad could fix them if they tore up especially back then in the 70s...

so while I'm not expert on electronics by a long shot anything I know my dad taught me..i just know more about the way to repair solders or swap out things and can identify certain parts of a circuit AT TIMES.

Keith

-Nikola Tesla
December 12, 2016 06:56PM
Good info Sven..

The 6 had the small connector didn't it??

was the stainless mounting plate drilled for small connector?? and if so did you have to drill it out for large barrel connector??

On Morgans the parts they sent were right for the cable connector but wrong for the chasis mount connector ...so I had to get Morgans insert out of his damaged connector..dang thing was siliconed in and wouldn't budge..I finally had to dremel wheel the barrel off ever so gently to get the plug out and reuse on the new barrel...Fun times LOL!!

Keith

-Nikola Tesla
December 12, 2016 07:03PM
Well kind words for sure Sir!!

I do run out of hours in the day at times..LOL..but its all fun...I like staying busy..

again kind words

Keith

-Nikola Tesla
December 12, 2016 07:04PM
NASA-Tom Wrote:
> If only to be produced in digital format. Ridding
> (23) pots to adjust. ,,,,, Then, I could
> retire.

Tom,
I have a feeling for you to retire will just make you busier.....
December 12, 2016 07:05PM
I could see that Tom !!

you are to be commended on your dedication to aligning these units.

I know you don't do if for monetary gain...its not worth it..it is too enhance a persons skillset development with a proper piece of equipment..

Kudos to you

Keith

-Nikola Tesla
December 12, 2016 07:10PM
a nightmare yet a real true piece of highly advanced technology and i might add only the highest quality parts seem to have been used ..

its a high quality instrument you can tell..

these CZ-6a are weather proof and the boards in this one are pristine ...could pass for NEW..a quarter of a century old to boot..

Keith

-Nikola Tesla
Re: Project repair Morgans CZ-6a detector...lots of pics!!
December 12, 2016 07:16PM
well I did this post to hopefully help others and it also creates a resource for all time....

I like to try and post or video or take pics of anything I can for future generations of detectorist...

I know I used to want to know what this machine sounded like or what this was supposed to look like on a detector just to be able to compare against mine to see if mine was right or wrong..but there was limited to no info even when the web came along..

so now I try to create some sort of info on anything I get my hands on..

Don't take me to be some sort of electronics Guru though..or Modding master and such...I know enough to stay out of trouble most of the time and that's about it...Im no where near the master type modder of the lIkes of Paul in California...he's a true artisan..

I even texted Morgan when I saw what we were up against and said I don't Know..I mentioned if it was mine I would do it but someone else's I'm leary of doing too much ...Then He said I have confidence in you and won't hold you responsible.Thats all I needed to hear LOL..

Keith

-Nikola Tesla
December 12, 2016 08:48PM
Well done Keith..tip of the hat for job well done..actually feel CZ6A was as good or better than most CZ models and tried them all....
December 12, 2016 09:04PM
Tom tuned a CZ-6a for me that I use regularly. Phenomenal a chine and highly accurate. He is to be commended for what he does. Just seeing keith pictures of the two boards is nightmare enough. Nothing like hearing that deep solid high tone and you just know a coin is going to come to light. I own a CTX, Deus and solid F75 with boost but nothing is like a properly tuned CZ by Tom. Never dug so many deep old coins.
December 12, 2016 09:59PM
I hear you Welgund...I've got two Cz's one that Tom tuned(3D) and a Cz5...love them both,just got that sweet high tone you are waiting to hear....

Welgund Wrote:
> Tom tuned a CZ-6a for me that I use regularly.
> Phenomenal a chine and highly accurate. He is to
> be commended for what he does. Just seeing keith
> pictures of the two boards is nightmare enough.
> Nothing like hearing that deep solid high tone and
> you just know a coin is going to come to light. I
> own a CTX, Deus and solid F75 with boost but
> nothing is like a properly tuned CZ by Tom. Never
> dug so many deep old coins.
December 12, 2016 11:49PM
Keith Southern Wrote:
> Good info Sven..
>
> The 6 had the small connector didn't it??
>
> was the stainless mounting plate drilled for small
> connector?? and if so did you have to drill it out
> for large barrel connector??
>
> **********************************

>
> Keith

Here are my notes:
And I probably did have to enlarge the hole for the connector
------
CZ6 to CZ6a

Grind down faceplate flush at headphone jack.
Bend new headphone jack tabs.
Grind PCB at headphone jack, to make it fit.
Wire as stereo
Red wire---------Ring
Brown wire -----Tip

Black from switch norm salt switch------ground on headphone jack sleeve tab

Make new stand offs

Drill out rivits that hold coil connector in place
Pin out PCB to new 5 pin bulkhead connector
1-------black wire(ground, shield)
2-------red wire
3------white wire
4------green ( ground shield)
Do not use washer behind nut on bracket

Pinout searchcoil to new 5 pin coil connector
1-------Red shield wire
2-------Red center wire
3------White center wire
4------White shield wire

DeepTech Vista X with 3 search coils.
Works for me
December 13, 2016 02:23AM
* Nice documentum thread....... for the records....... so as to allow data/intel for generations-to-come. Yes...... many of us use this forum to permanently document pertinent data/info......... self included.

* Yes, I enjoy resurrecting a Flagship legacy detector platform......... and especially for folks to experience detecting with the worlds easiest/best/most audibly-intelligible coins/old-coins detector.

* I have a Treasure magazine (Western & Eastern Treasures) with the Field-Test report of the first/original CZ (6) platform....... and the magazine is dated September 1991. I speculate this Field-Testing of a fully functional CZ took place around March, 1991...... to put the date/age of the CZ platform into perspective. Don't forget....... it took time to field-test....... then write a article...... then submit the article to the magazine........ then the 'wait' .,.,until the magazine could put the article into print........ and ...... most mag's are dated a month (or two) in advance of the actual date.

* I love technological advancement. I love to (for instance) go back 10 years on this forum...... and see what we were detecting with........... and see/feel just exactly how far we have advanced.,.,.since then. What 'WERE' the mindset/thought-process(s) of yesteryear. (((To include personally going back 30 or 45 years))). And....... through this social media system........ I know I played a part (am to blame)....... for such things as: the need for a technological paradigm platform shift, running TO iron....instead of running FROM iron......... unmasking criticality requirements and subsequent (extreme) exposure/publicity thereof, extreme enhancement of adjacent target separation characteristics/requirements.....with subsequent advent of the elliptical Double-D coil (of which most manufacturers have recently followed suit), depth requirements (archaeologically-based validation), iron tone-break adjustability....... and a host of other ideas.
I very specifically state this to show that we (collectively) CAN change the world. I am........by no means........ a "credit-seeker" ........ and could care less about image/face; .,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,., my quest is 'results' based.
* And 10 years from now...... we may be looking back to 'now'....... and laughing/reminiscing about how 'inefficient' our equipment: WAS.

* It is the neatest thing to have a new detector......... that is so technologically advanced......that....... old 'hunted-out' sites ...come to life again. You know 'advancement' has taken place.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/13/2016 03:12AM by NASA-Tom.