Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Will the CZ3D lose depth with rechargeable batteries?

Posted by Bayard 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Will the CZ3D lose depth with rechargeable batteries?
December 13, 2016 04:42PM
I normally hunt with an Etrac, but, recently bought a CZ3D. Will the CZ3D lose depth if used with rechargeable batteries? I use rechargeables in my pinpointers, but, am concerned about depth loss in a detector.
Re: Will the CZ3D lose depth with rechargeable batteries?
December 13, 2016 04:58PM
All detectors today have resistors in them. So no matter how much voltage is being put out by the batteries, the machine is only accepting a certain amount, which is lower than the batteries can put out at full charge. Thus only when you drop below that certain output point, would you be at any risk of performance loss.

And I dunno about your fisher, but with my explorer: I haven't noticed any lack of performance at all, EVEN at the waining edge of operation, just before it shuts its own self off for lack of battery power. Thus those resistors must be set at a rate where your machine never suffers a lack of depth and performance, right up till the end (when you are automatically shut off).
December 13, 2016 05:12PM
I think what Tom is trying to say is that modern detectors have some sort of voltage regulation system built in drinking smiley

I tried rechargeable Li-ion 9V batteries in my CZ70 and they worked fine, BUT were very unpredictable as far as time in the field goes. On a full charge, I'd average about 4-6 hours of detecting time. This was a number of years ago, so perhaps newer generation Li-ion 9V batteries are better confused smiley

HH,
Brian
December 13, 2016 05:14PM
Tom_in_CA Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> All detectors today have resistors in them. So
> no matter how much voltage is being put out by the
> batteries, the machine is only accepting a certain
> amount, which is lower than the batteries can put
> out at full charge. Thus only when you drop
> below that certain output point, would you be at
> any risk of performance loss.
>
> And I dunno about your fisher, but with my
> explorer: I haven't noticed any lack of
> performance at all, EVEN at the waining edge of
> operation, just before it shuts its own self off
> for lack of battery power. Thus those resistors
> must be set at a rate where your machine never
> suffers a lack of depth and performance, right up
> till the end (when you are automatically shut
> off).

I've heard this line of reasoning before and was inclined to believe it until I recently bought a lithium battery pack for my Etrac. I took the lithium powered Etrac to a hunted out park that I have pounded dozens of times over the years with NiMH in the Etrac. Over the course of four days in a single week, hunting no more than two hours each day, I dug seven silver coins. I was in stunned disbelief. I've had similar results at my other old sites with the lithium battery pack. As engineers say, one test is worth a thousand expert opinions.

If anyone has direct experience with different types of batteries in the CZ3D, I'd love to hear your results.
December 13, 2016 05:19PM
They are much improved as are the last generation of Ni-Mh rechargeables. I've been using EBL 680s and have been very impressed with their length of charge. In addition , they maintain that usable voltage longer even though their initial voltage may be slightly less than comparable alkalines. Like all rechargeables , when they die they die quickly
December 13, 2016 05:36PM
I use Tenergy 250mAH nimh in my Tom uned CZ 6a and CZ 5 and haven't seen any difference over regular 9volts. Still digging old coins at rediculous depths.
December 13, 2016 06:28PM
Cal_cobra Wrote:
> I think what Tom is trying to say is that modern
> detectors have some sort of voltage regulation
> system built in drinking smiley
>

Yes. That's what I meant. "Voltage regulator", not "resistor".
MAM
December 13, 2016 07:16PM
"I've heard this line of reasoning before and was inclined to believe it until I recently bought a lithium battery pack for my Etrac. I took the lithium powered Etrac to a hunted out park that I have pounded dozens of times over the years with NiMH in the Etrac. Over the course of four days in a single week, hunting no more than two hours each day, I dug seven silver coins. I was in stunned disbelief. I've had similar results at my other old sites with the lithium battery pack. As engineers say, one test is worth a thousand expert opinion"

Were the seven silvers deeper or shallower than than your previous finds with the NiMH?

Mike
December 13, 2016 11:42PM
Bayard........ to answer your question directly: No. There will be zero performance loss whilst using rechargeable batteries in any of the CZ platforms. Yes....... most modern metal detectors utilize voltage regulators ........ so performance will remain consistent ..... until the batteries are nearly dead. This is to include consistent depth performance.
December 14, 2016 02:28PM
NASA-Tom Wrote:
> Bayard........ to answer your question directly:
> No. There will be zero performance loss whilst
> using rechargeable batteries in any of the CZ
> platforms. Yes....... most modern metal detectors
> utilize voltage regulators ........ so performance
> will remain consistent ..... until the batteries
> are nearly dead. This is to include consistent
> depth performance.

Thank you for posting in this thread. I bought the CZ3D because of you in the first place.
December 18, 2016 03:55PM
Might add if your pinpoint starts to malfunction time to change batteries....The more you pinpoint the less time you will get on batteries..
Unfortunately 9 volt rechargeables never lasted long so always use alkalines myself....
December 18, 2016 06:30PM
The 3rd generation type batteries of today are made up of a little different acids etc than of days gone by,that's why they are more costly. some have silver in them especially car batteries that last some 20% or more longer than older types.just a thought. shortribs