Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Finished a Mod I have been working on for a good while

Posted by Keith Southern 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Finished a Mod I have been working on for a good while
December 21, 2016 02:44AM
Whites back in about 88 made a blue Box 5900 that would accept the then New Blue max coils...

This was the last Blue box made ...and it was the only One ever made where you could use SAT in the GEB MAX mode...the older blue boxes non blue max 6B coils was manual tune only no sat..and the black box 5900's were just basically GEB norm and GEB sat which was still normal but with SAT..

The 5900 Pro Plus I have here was the only one to be able to run SAT on GEB MAX..and GEB max is more powerful than the black box SAT mode.....anyhow the artillery Shell hunters knew this and when the black box units came out they tried those and went back to the Plus 5900 for the ability to run the newer better coils but also for the ability to use that GEB SAT mode when the need arose plus had the amped up max mode...I know Shell hunters right now that wont part with there 5900 Pro Plus units...If you ever run one You'll know why...

I was lucky enough after a couple of years of looking to find a choice specimen 5900 Pro Plus that came out of the desert southwest with very low hours..then I was lucky enough to accumulate some parts to mod it to my liking..and its' a mod believe it or not I've wanted to carry out for the last 15 years or so...but finally in the summer the chips fell into place...

So late at night I've been tinkering and its done now...Runs like a dream..I.D s my 10 inch dime perfect too!!this is 30 year old tech ..LOL..

Any how used a hipmount 6000 shaft form the 80s and used the coil jack plug on the shaft for this 5900 and relocated the headphones jack into the now vacant coil jack plug hole on the housing..reason being the headphone jack came out the top of the units on blue boxes instead of rear..But I wanted to be able to still use the mechanical type jack to turn the speaker on and off like stock...but the pole was in the way for the straight shaft..So after some thinking I went with this setup...didn't want to drill holes in my box so I Can take it back to stock if I ever want too...plus I used the stock headphone jack hole to add additional stabilization to the shaft with an extra rear mount..something a black box pistol grip 5900 does not have..

well here is the outcome..

here it is stock and then the finish model..

Old wristbreaker.LOL

now ergonomic

Even added a rubber handgrip for maintenance free wear..and used an old minelab armrest...

Swings great...IDs the best of any 5900 I've ever used and is deeper in my soil than any 5900 I've ever used and I've used a ton..I knew after I ran it I had to Mod it...

I'm very anal about alignment and such so it took me forever it seems to get the handles and armrest and such in what I consider perfect alignment..

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/21/2016 03:10AM by Keith Southern.
Re: Finished a Mod I have been working on for a good while
December 21, 2016 02:57AM
Nice! I like how you diverted the coil wire thru that mount/setup thumbs down

Paul's gonna like this one I bet! lol
December 21, 2016 03:14AM
Neat setup Keith, Killer Blue Box you have......

I have a 5900 CB that does great in the Disc. mode, it is a nice old park machine, covers ground fast.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/21/2016 03:16AM by Hombre.
December 21, 2016 12:50PM
Niiiice. Can't wait to hear what you dig up with that baby.
December 22, 2016 02:17AM
Where is Paul!!

Thanks Wayne!!

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
December 22, 2016 02:22AM
Thanks hombre...

One I've been after this specific transition model for awhile too..then ended up with two of these Plus units at the same time..LOL!!

Trying to decide of I want to hang on to my black 5900 now LOL.. ???

decisions decisions..

sounds good on your old park hunting !!!

Keith

-Nikola Tesla
December 22, 2016 02:22AM
Oh it's already dug some goodies. pre Mod!!

Keith

-Nikola Tesla
December 22, 2016 09:14PM
Top Job Keith,,, I have the same machines as this one, The owner bought it in 89/90 and left it in its box and never used it, I phoned Whites in Scotland and the said that it was made in July 1989, But it is in new condition which is cool and It came with the original manual and still in the factory box, My one has the Black Dial.

I will try and send you a PM about it,

well done mate.

John.
December 23, 2016 01:42PM
looks awesome
December 23, 2016 09:03PM
Very nice work Keith. Looks 100% better than factory.

John
December 24, 2016 12:15AM
Thanks Fellas!!

John I replied to the P.M. ..and the messaging system seems to be working as of late both ways.!!

Whole system seems faster as a PLUS!!

Keith

-Nikola Tesla
December 24, 2016 12:23AM
You didn't like the way your CT5900 was before? (Carpal Tunnel 5900) That's a nice mod there Keith!

Kenny
[www.youtube.com]
December 28, 2016 06:55PM
Lol Kenny..

Not hardly..

Keith

-Nikola Tesla
December 29, 2016 01:43AM
Great Story. I remember those machines well. They were the close cousin to the 6000 Di pro. The exception was that the 5900 didn't have auto-track. For the type purpose you guys use them for, that's a non-issue. But for the wet salt beach, those were a mistake for anyone buying them for beach hunting here in CA ! smiling smiley
December 30, 2016 01:31AM
Thanks Tom!!

Keith

-Nikola Tesla