Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

New vs Old Machines

Posted by virginia digger 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
New vs Old Machines
December 25, 2016 01:24PM
What do you think is the real difference between new and older(say 20 years old) machines. Do new machines really go deeper ? I know new machines are more ergonomically better designed but what am I missing. I still hunt with a 20 year old Nautilus and it does great. I also have a F75 and T2 which are also very good machine.
Re: New vs Old Machines
December 25, 2016 02:43PM
I have 11 different detectors ranging from CZ 6a, CZ 5 wich are 25 years old clear up to modern day XP DEUS and CTX3030. Older tech doesn't necessarily mean it's inferior. I only have 2 sectors out of my entire lineup I feel I could probably do with and that's my F 75 and MXT pro. I have fun while using them though so don't give them up. All of them serve a purpose that the others dont. If I go old coin hunting I use my CZ 6a or CZ 5 which in my soil here in Colorado are by far the best at ID ING old nickels. This year alone I have found 42 buffaloes, 19 V and 7 sheild nickels alone. No other machine I have can even approach that. The CTX has found me way more silver than the rest, close to 100 silver dimes and quarters. The Deus, Relic and Tejon has found me my oldest relics and coins in heavy iron. All my seated, a 3 cent and 1/2 reale was found with them. All these machine range over a course of 25 plus years and all are needed depending on the type of hunting I do. Modern machines are more ergonomic and sometimes lighter but sometimes the Older tech still outperforms them in depth and ID.
December 25, 2016 03:56PM
Newer units are lighter and offer better battery consumption with more drain on your wallet....Would bet an experienced old timer could easily stay with a new timer...
Its all about bucks for the manufacturers should cover it.....CZ's and XLT's come to mind as prime examples........
December 25, 2016 04:38PM
I have now 12 detectors in my stable...three quarters of them are 25 year technology and are still my go to detectors.They are simplistic in many ways but are so much fun to use.The understanding and the true purity of their sounds is a joy to behold.
My newer detectors have cost much much more....and have left me wondering why I paid the price I did..was it hype..in some cases it was.
I'm still searching for that new detector that will rise above the hype...and I'll say..dam now that's a detector....until then my ears are my best friendsmiling smiley

Merry Christmas everyonesmiling smiley
December 26, 2016 03:24AM
Biggest difference imo,,,due to components and tolerances,,,,probably better able for like units being the same model to be closer overall in performance.

Not as much a "hot" unit vs a "cold" unit.

Still can happen,, seems not as often.

Detectors that are loaded with variable potentiometers are scary-- at least to me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/26/2016 03:27AM by tnsharpshooter.
December 26, 2016 05:42AM
Depth hasn't really increased since about late 80's on VLF's

But what has increased is better MINERAL see through..for better I.d.'s even in terms of just if its ferrous or nonferrous in bad soil..

And what has really increased is site unlocking in terms of less maybe it is maybe its not a good target entombed in a sea of iron...

Better TUNED coils and better coil designs..

More options to adjust for unmasking

Use of a higher freqs that still punch and adhere better to unmasking...

Lighter/Smaller

Less battery drain

fully digitized

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
December 27, 2016 03:18AM
Keith said it best concerning ferrous targets. Never thought of it from that angle. I once heard the FCC regulated output strength of metal detectors and that is why an inexpensive machine can almost go as deep as a more expensive machine. The difference being bells and whistles. That would also explain why vlf machines are no deeper than they were 20 years ago. I will always hold tight to my Nautilus machines. In the right ground they can't be touched......just my personal opinion.
December 27, 2016 07:25AM
I have to agree with "Virginia Digger"...a Nautilus in the right ground can't be touched. The special modulated audio with the signals separated ( all metal in one ear...discrimination in the other ear) makes this unit unique to me. I like hunting in all metal with the discrimination option in the other. The DMC2B gave the user the ability to change sensitivity on the all metal as well as the discrimination circuitry during use. A well kept secret to many who have never experienced one. It will go deep...very deep...in the right type earth.
December 27, 2016 02:23PM
The old myth of FCC regulation of detector power is a myth. detectors are not "intentional radiators" since they are not, the only regulations which apply apply to incidental emission into the air. These are very small and do not require limitatioms of output power.

Here is a post by Carl Moreland, Head of engineering at First Texas

Carl-NC
"If anyone knows about FCC regulations that apply to metal detectors,
I'd appreciate a link... "

There are no FCC regs that apply specifically to metal detectors. The old "100mW" limit is a myth. Detector coils are horribly inefficient "antennas" and do not support far-field EM transmission.

Detectors do have to meet the "unintentional radiator" limits that all electronics must meet, and that is largely self-regulated. Read through FCC 47 CFR Part 15 for the gory details.

- Carl

[www.findmall.com]

Rick Kempf
Gold Canyon AZ- where there is no gold
December 27, 2016 11:07PM
lytle78 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> Detectors do have to meet the "unintentional radia
> tor" limits that all electronics must meet, and th
> at is largely self-regulated. Read through FCC 47
> CFR Part 15 for the gory details.
>
> - Carl

FCC and especially CE rules have gotten tighter, and all unintentional radiators (below 9kHz) have to be tested for EMI emissions. This is mostly ancillary stuff getting radiated, like digital circuit noise. Intentional radiators (above 9kHz) are tested for actual transmit levels but, again, a metal detector is a magnetic-field transformer, not an EM-field antenna, so it's not even close to any "power" limits that the FCC has in place. Ironically, a well-designed VLF metal detector transmits zero power.
December 28, 2016 02:13AM
Can someone remind me why the GMP cannot be purchased new here in the states?
December 28, 2016 02:30AM
There's a wireless headphone module inside the unit..

The freq in Europe for that is different than the freq allotted here in the states..

So when you turn the wireless on in a wheat field somewhere in the midwest there's a chance you could launch a I.C.B.M..from an underground silo.spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Actually I think its on the garage door freqs here..but that doesn't sound to exciting does it...

So basically it's not FCC approved...

not sure why they don't make it with the module deactivated on not even installed??

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
December 28, 2016 12:58PM
Thanks Keith!
December 28, 2016 02:31PM
The freq the GMP / GMAXX2 / Adventis / ADX250 transmit on is in the ISM 433 MHz band, which covers Africa, Europe, Russia, but not N & S America, Australia, China. I imagine XP didn't go to the trouble of getting a non-transmitter version through the US FCC approval process because they knew they were working on the successor, the Deus.
[en.wikipedia.org]