Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Is detecting in the Keys during the first week of January worth the hassle of

Posted by Chris Woods 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Is detecting in the Keys during the first week of January worth the hassle of
December 29, 2016 09:41PM
My saintly wife is taking me to Key Largo for my upcoming 50th birthday. We're flying out Saturday and will be there for a week. I've never been to the Keys and this will likely be my only trip there.

The weather forecast is good for the most part but it is far from the peak of the tourist season. With all this in mind I'd like to ask all of you that have experience hunting in the Keys the following question

Is detecting in the Keys during the first week of January worth the hassle of flying with my CTX and two piece sand scoop?

Thanks for your input,

Chris

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/30/2016 12:53AM by Neugene.
Re: Is detecting in the Keys during late December worth the hassle of
December 29, 2016 11:34PM
I wouldn't go without it. If you can get in the water the better. Your not alone in the pursuit but if you have the chance you won't regret it big find or not. I beat the banks last 2 times down and the guys in the water did the best. HH JR
Re: Is detecting in the Keys during the first week of January worth the hassle of
December 30, 2016 04:34AM
There are17 islands from Key Largo to Key West is about 110 miles. also BE AWARE some of the islands are BIRD SANCTUARIES and you DON'T want to get caught with a detectror on them. When I was their some of the college kids were nude and sun bathing up by the road under the bushes where you couldn't see them untill u walked up on them so beware. If u travel on the islands be aware which ones u can detect on been their about 8-9 times with no trouble,just can't hunt on certain islands.The sign on west side of Key west says Cuba 58 miles. shortribs
Re: Is detecting in the Keys during the first week of January worth the hassle of
January 04, 2017 02:24AM
Thanks for the replies guys. Yesterday we drove from Key Largo to Key West. The only "beaches" I saw from the road were on Key West. We saw signs for a few public parks and some State Parks but didn't have time to check them out. I plan to look into them over the next couple of days.

Any more info/suggestions you guys have regarding which Keys have larger beaches/areas to hunt would be appreciated. My wife surprised me with this trip and I had almost no time to prepare for it much less research detecting areas. I've only got three days left and she's not gonna let me spend all of them combing the beaches so I've gotta make the best of the time I have.

Thanks again,
Chris
January 04, 2017 02:59AM
Look up sombrero beach. Wish you luck. I haven't been down there in 15 years.

John
January 04, 2017 04:49AM
If you don't do it, you'll regret it drinking smiley
January 04, 2017 11:13AM
Take a coastal trip along the Keys using Google Earth, there's a lot of beaches.

DeepTech Vista X with 3 search coils.
Works for me
January 04, 2017 05:42PM
I'm gonna do it Cal there's no doubt about that. Thanks for the tip Sven, we're out driving and using Google Maps looking for beach access spots right now. I'll definitely check out Sombrero Beach, thanks John.
It's high tide tight now so hopefully by the time it reverses I'll have my game plan laid out so I can make the best out of the next three days.

Thanks again guys, I'll let you know how it pans out.

Chris
January 04, 2017 10:48PM
Neugene, hope you find the Queens treasure, or part of it....good luck!
January 06, 2017 01:52AM
I was able to get out for a while and had a great time. Didn't strike it rich but didn't get skunked either. Got a chance to talk to some locals and they sad that this is just the beginning of the busy season. From January to July tourist season and from August to December it is slow.

To tell you the truth I'm glad we didn't get here in the middle of tourist season. The detecting would have probably been better but it would also have been louder and more cramped.

Besides, I turned 50 on Key Largo which sure beats the hell out of turning 50 at work anywhere else.

Thanks again for the tips guys

Chris