Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

If Garrett ain't gonna do it (say it)......

Posted by D&P-OR 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
If Garrett ain't gonna do it (say it)......
February 12, 2011 06:03PM
or admit it-----there needs to be a couple of those coils "dissected" (from the erratic AND quiet) AT PROS.-----To see if the shield paint was/is the "culprit", as Tom suspected.------Wanna donate your good one for this project Keith??? HA HA ----------Del
Re: If Garrett ain't gonna do it (say it)......
February 12, 2011 08:41PM
Mybe they try to avoid a recall and all the bad publisty.

But if you send a bad one in, it will probably get fixed or changed for a new one without any questions.

Those who are aware of the issue will have the power to get it fixed.
I would bet they fixed the issue Del.
February 12, 2011 08:47PM
probably minor ....I believe if you send one in it will get the fix??? Just speculation..... But I am most certain the coil is the culprit...if and when people get hold of the accessory coil's we will know more ....If the other coil fixes the issue you can bet the Big DD coil is at fault....

The Big DD is a new direction for Garrett and it is a truly amazing coil design......( Coil design is coming into the 21st century )

Vlf's performance gains are coming from coil enhancements and tighter spec's and exactness are more critical for clean performance...

Just my take on it...And I dont think I will volunteer mine right now for an X-ray...Ha-Ha

One thing to speculate about is the people who said that it was normal.....Do you think they are still defending that statement??Are they cool with it ?????

Keith

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/12/2011 08:48PM by Keith Southern.
February 12, 2011 10:52PM
I live in the UK,and the Garrett dealer refuses to admit there is a problem with the coil.I also own the AT PRO,and it falses when you wiggle it or hit something,but we are told this is normal.
February 13, 2011 12:38AM
Keith ,
Those who have the falsing coils are now shaking their heads ...... They don't know WHAT to think now that your video is up and running ...... What are they gonna say now ? ....." Of course it doesn't false now , your away from all the noisy electricity around your house where you tested it the first time " .... They'll try to back paddle , and won't be able to do it ..... Funny how quiet it got when they NOW HAVE PROOF of what I have been saying all along !!..... I'm sure that I will hear " Well if you knew that there was something wrong , why didn't you send it in ? " ......This question after I have already explained over and over and over again that I was told that this was NORMAL ...... When you have an issue where the people who BUILT the machine are telling you that the falsing is NORMAL , where do you go from there ? .....You really have to wait until it becomes a bigger issue , and you reallly have to wait for others to realiize that this is NOT RIGHT !!...... This is what causes CHANGE !!..... They have too much riding on this machine to allow it to fail ..... It will be intersting to see how many guys who defended this falsing issue whole heartedly , will send their machines in to get fixed behind closed doors ....... Closet Coilers !!......LOL !!!......Jim
February 13, 2011 01:04AM
synthnut Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Keith ,
> Those who have the falsing coils are now shaking
> their heads ...... They don't know WHAT to think
> now that your video is up and running ...... What
> are they gonna say now ? ....." Of course it
> doesn't false now , your away from all the noisy
> electricity around your house where you tested it
> the first time " .... They'll try to back paddle ,
> and won't be able to do it ..... Funny how quiet
> it got when they NOW HAVE PROOF of what I have
> been saying all along !!..... I'm sure that I
> will hear " Well if you knew that there was
> something wrong , why didn't you send it in ? "
> ......This question after I have already explained
> over and over and over again that I was told that
> this was NORMAL ...... When you have an issue
> where the people who BUILT the machine are telling
> you that the falsing is NORMAL , where do you go
> from there ? .....You really have to wait until it
> becomes a bigger issue , and you reallly have to
> wait for others to realiize that this is NOT RIGHT
> !!...... This is what causes CHANGE !!..... They
> have too much riding on this machine to allow it
> to fail ..... It will be intersting to see how
> many guys who defended this falsing issue whole
> heartedly , will send their machines in to get
> fixed behind closed doors ....... Closet Coilers
> !!......LOL !!!......Jim

*chuckle* theres one born every minute....an expert that is winking smiley best thing to do is ask them what style of BBQ they prefer to eat with that crow ...LOL
February 13, 2011 01:15AM
topman13 Wrote:
> I live in the UK,and the Garrett dealer refuses to
> admit there is a problem with the coil.I also own
> the AT PRO,and it falses when you wiggle it or hit
> something,but we are told this is normal.

You need to show your dealer the videos and then show him how your machine performs. It sounds like you have a crummy dealer. I would contact Garrett via phone (maybe Skype?) if the dealer will not help you. Don't give up, either sell it and buy a new one of become a serius pain in the arse for the dealer, distributer, and Garretts. If you pst enough messages online yu will get someones attention.

JB
February 13, 2011 05:10AM
Jim and Keith, I'm glad you got your AT Pro falsing issue resolved. Both of you guys, and especially Jim, took a lot of undeserved stuff over on another forum. A lot of us appreciate that you gave your honest opinions.

As I speculated would happen, Garrett is quietly resolving the issue for those who return their units. No explanation of what they repair, no admission of anything being wrong, just detectors returned with the problem resolved. Or at least much better in Jim's case.

Garrett invested years and years and a lot of money on a detector that is a totally new platform for them. Garrett isn't being totally upfront, but think about it from their perspective.

They could say there is an issue and invite everyone to send their detector for repair. But then they are admitting that they released a detector with an issue. And absorbing a lot of repair and postage expenses from folks who are saying their unit is just fine. Besides, why would Garrett say there is a universal problem when many users are saying there is no problem?

To be fair to Garrett, if this is a coil paint shielding issue as Tom speculated (and my money is on Tom being right) it may not be universal to all the first release AT Pros. Or at least the severity of the issue may vary significantly from unit to unit.

I'm looking forward to Tom (hopefully) getting his hands on and giving his feedback on a recently released unit.

I think you're right on the money Jim, Garrett will be hearing from a lot of "closet coilers" now!
Hey Keith
February 13, 2011 01:57PM
I had hopes but now really doubt there will be any acknowledgement by the "elite" forum denizens. It's been a couple days since you posted your "problem solved" video and they've posted in threads all around it but ignored what you were saying and SHOWING. Could it be because of this.......?

[en.wikipedia.org]

Here's the rather fitting excerpt...
"While the cult of personality generally applies to the enhancement and promotion of a political or religious doctrine, it stands to reason that it is also asserted in everyday situations where popularity is used to advocate conformity to philosophies and lifestyles, even products and attitudes by way of peer pressure and herd mentality."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/13/2011 02:01PM by BuckeyeBrad.
February 13, 2011 02:16PM
Looks like Garrett has the issue solve. This is a newer generation (2nd Try)

[www.youtube.com]

Tom in SC

SORRY DID NOT NOTICE THAT KEITH HAD ALREADY POSTED THIS.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/13/2011 02:20PM by tmanly.
Re: Hey Keith
February 13, 2011 02:25PM
BuckeyeBrad Wrote:
> I had hopes but now really doubt there will be any
> acknowledgement by the "elite" forum denizens.
> It's been a couple days since you posted your
> "problem solved" video and they've posted in
> threads all around it but ignored what you were
> saying and SHOWING. Could it be because of
> this.......?
>
> [en.wikipedia.org]
>
> Here's the rather fitting excerpt...
> "While the cult of personality generally applies
> to the enhancement and promotion of a political or
> religious doctrine, it stands to reason that it is
> also asserted in everyday situations where
> popularity is used to advocate conformity to
> philosophies and lifestyles, even products and
> attitudes by way of peer pressure and herd
> mentality."

I think you hit the nail on the head Brad. I was amazed that the article didn't make any mention of Obama, he certainly would fit right in.

J
February 13, 2011 02:42PM
I have emailed Garret,and advised them of my falsing issues and that there is a video showing the at not falsing.I also asked if they would let me send it in for repair.I wait for there answer.
February 13, 2011 02:46PM
J,
You're so political !! ............................and I still love ya buddy !!......

Brad,
It's funny that you bring this writing to light .......I have many times mentioned the word " Sheep " when speaking to friends on this topic .....Jim
February 13, 2011 03:18PM
Yes, there are emotions/personalities/opinions (after all...... we're human) in this 'sensitive' issue; but look at the end-resultant! Looks like things are getting resolved! That is ALWAYS the intent of this forum.

Success!

Yes, I would like to fully/definatively test a 'resolved' AT Pro.
February 13, 2011 04:35PM
I have one of these units that falses ....I just e-mailed Garrett sad smiley I have faith they will take care of it, however theres 2 weeks of down time, plus shipping costs "IF" they dont supply a pre-printed/prepaid label.
Excellent idea you have Tom, Im sure there would many who would support you in your endeavor ....maybe even more than you could handle ...LOL
I say this as I think about how simply this could have been avoided, had only my dealer simply took 5 mins to assemble and fire it up.....the problem with these coils(or whatever) is quite obvious, once you view the vids on youtube!