Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

When it comes to buying or trying new detectors are you a " Goat" or a "Sheep"?

Posted by woodchiphustler 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re: When it comes to buying or trying new detectors are you a " Goat" or a "Sheep"?
January 18, 2017 08:21AM
I guess I'm the black sheep of the family when it comes to detectors I like to try the new ones out and always revert back to the older machines that have been work horses for me and my style of hunting. winking smiley
Keith Southern Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
I guess I should start posing for my statue now as I'm one foot on a banana peel and the other in a very deep hole I dug purchasing those detectors. Man to think I could have taken a cruise on the Lewes Ferry with all that cash! I got a GM5 you can try if you want to? > Yes YOU have George....
>
> A true legend you are!!
>
> You've probably ran more and owned more machines i
> n the last 50 years than most can even fathom!!
>
> Glad you worked on that TDI platform with Whites d
> esign team..It stands as a true UNIQUE P.I. still.
> ..Only one I know that can Cherry pick high coins!
> !
>
>
> Hope you stick around here awhile good to see you
> posting!!!....
>
> Keith
Re: When it comes to buying or trying new detectors are you a " Goat" or a "Sheep"?
January 18, 2017 03:35PM
Thank you, Keith.

HH
Mike
I'm sure your videos are great. But a video would never change me on what I would select. Keep digging!thumbs down
January 18, 2017 06:14PM
Keith,

Thank You from the bottom of my heart for your very kind words which are music to my ears!!! I really DO appreciate that.
Yes, you are also right - it was a happy time because Minelab was still Minelab and I was encouraged by my late Father "to keep at it, keep making film"

"The Musketeer" video was the most expensive film I ever did...at the time somewhere around USD$ 3,500.00 of my own spend (possibly even more) and, it was one of the very first 'Features' I did.

Thanks again. Des
January 19, 2017 12:11AM
I used to be the kind of guy that had to have the latest and greatest of everything on my computer. Had to be the first one to have this killer video card, or that amazing new sound card, after all I had to have the best setup to play Doom and Quake, and I had to have a better setup then my buddies right? I was a bit that way my first couple of years of detecting. It amounted to the same thing, always being a beta tester and not having a lot of intel on what the machines could do until I spent my hard earned cash to see for myself. I'm sure I could buy a nice new car for the cash I wasted back in my computer marathon days.

Now I'm more conservative, I like to get some field intel from both the beta testers as well as normal users like me before I spend my hard earned money on a detector. Unfortunately we get very little field testers in California, so what may work well in Florida, the south, or the east coast, doesn't always equate to working well in the diverse soils of California.

The first detector I ever bought was a Fisher Coin$trike. That was a lot to bite off for a first time user, and it was a love hate relationship. I quickly found out that it didn't handle EMI well, and that it loved round things, any round things. I'd probably been better off to start off with a Fisher CZ or even a Whites MXT or XLT for a first machine, but spent the next several years trying various machines until I found what worked well for me, and the sites I seek to detect. For me the Makro Racers do everything I need them to do and do it pretty well. I rarely turf hunt any more, and when I do road trips with my friend Tom he's always trying to get me to detect an old park if we see one and compare targets. I know his Explorer 2 will generally best my Racer on deep silver, but in a ghost town, relic type of site, I have no problem keeping up with his Explorer (although admittedly he does kick butt in iron infested areas with his Explorer). Prior to getting the Racer, that wasn't usually the case, he'd almost always find more conductors then I would. I've been detecting for ten years, I still feel like a beginner compared to many of you seasoned guys, but I've learned what I need a detector to do out here for me to be successful, but I'm always interested in the latest and greatest innovations that might make detecting my sites more productive.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/19/2017 12:11AM by Cal_cobra.
January 19, 2017 12:19AM
Sorry but I'm calling BS on the whole Goat thing. Anyone that would blindly buy a detector as soon as it comes out without doing their homework first either doesn't try many detectors, or buys a whole lot of crappy detectors. A person that just goes by what the owner's manual says won't have any idea how well a detector will perform, because we all know the manuals always discuss the detector's short comings.(yeah right). I think most of us check the reviews written by the "respected" users and then purchase the detector or detectors that they think will fill the bill for the type of detecting they like to do. I'd say that if you're not the first buyer of a production unit then you're a sheep. Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!
January 19, 2017 02:59PM
Actually I have simplified my detector purchases: What does the Good Ole Boy from Georgia say?? Our own Keith Southern!!!
January 19, 2017 06:32PM
Always been a goat kind of guy myself, but often lost a horn in my own eye before as I've hit the hype wall too hard.
January 19, 2017 06:57PM
Hiya Ziggy,

Happy New Year to ya!

So, how's it going for you? Still getting out?

I'm interested in the 71 but, do you know if it's any good at all on a beach?
Or is it a strictly land unit?

Thanks buddy.

Des D
January 19, 2017 07:12PM
Very Good behind the scenes Info Des!!

Keep up the passion..!!

Thanks for all you do and have done!!

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
Proceed with Caution? or Jump Right In?
January 19, 2017 07:28PM
Proceed with Caution? or Jump Right In?

I've done both.

For my area I was early in on the Teknetics Mark I, Whites Eagle, Toltec 100, CZ-6 and Explorer XS. These were the Introduction of new detectors by Magazine days. I tried others a couple years after introduction like the Whites XLT Spectrum, Minelab E-trac and Sovereign. Earlier this year I sold my etrac and planned to move to a CTX 3030. That halted when I started reading about people having problems with the 3030 right out of the box giving the appearance of Minelab has a CTX quality control issue. After talking to a few locals using the CTX I believe there is some credence to what I've been reading, so I'm put that purchase on PAUSE. Same with White's MX-Sport, I anticipated getting one late last Spring then paused when there were some software issues and further paused with the face plate cover trouble. Not sure what it's going to take to release the PAUSE button on either of these or if the inertia for the purchases has passed. But there is an advantage to Proceeding with Caution rather than Jumping Right In.

I am anticipating introduction of the Nokta Impact and the Fisher Mystery Machine hopefully early this year. Meanwhile, I am currently using some tried and true Detectors while I wait. Don't know if I will Jump In or Proceed With Caution, depends on my mood at the time.

Rich (Utah)

------------------------------------------------------------------

Just one more good target before I go.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/19/2017 07:30PM by Gonebeepin'.
January 19, 2017 08:32PM
Des D Wrote:
> Hiya Ziggy,
>
> Happy New Year to ya!
>
> So, how's it going for you? Still getting out?
>
> I'm interested in the 71 but, do you know if it's
> any good at all on a beach?
> Or is it a strictly land unit?
>
> Thanks buddy.
>
> Des D

Hello Des.....

Happy new year to you also.

Yeah I'm out and about testing machines and so on.

I'm smack in the middle of England so to say, Southend is around 1h 30 from me so I never really beach hunt, I've seen a picture of someone using one on the beach so I will try and track them down.
It's a lovely inland machine though and just found a small old Irish half penny with it I believe on my last outing, was hunting for the small stuff and that's what it did very well.

I think PI and FBS are best for the beach as you know, I can't see any single kHz VLF cutting the mustard as good as them on the black stuff, keeping everything running smooth it might do ok, saying that I have some black wet sea sand in a big tub sealed up somewhere... I will hook that out and see if I can GB the Alter on that, if it can't GB on that it can't be doing to great on the beach I feel.

Be good to see you get one and run some tests Des.
Mad Dog!smileys with beer
January 19, 2017 11:38PM
woodchiphustler Wrote:
> Curious for those of us who purchase ours!

I think you're definitely the 'alpha' goat....
George has tested and used more machines then anyone I know and honest non-BS No Y-Tube posting but many hours in fields and super hardcore Relic Hunting. I sure George or myself can beat and out dig with older machines vs New model. Your Right George our hobby 90% Sheeps!!!!!
January 21, 2017 04:43AM
[m.youtube.com]

This is a good video.

Just because some folks do you tubes with detectors,,,,doesn't necessarily make them a BSer.

We have other folks here,,,IMO worthy who do videos too.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/21/2017 04:51AM by tnsharpshooter.
Not what he meant. I did a few, got some good feedback and very few views. But not being skilled with media and not being paid to promote I stopped. I must have one in my hand here in Virginia to see if it's right for me. Video's are a great thing as long as your not throwing coins down holes or taking it out of a box or cackling like a damn fool!
January 21, 2017 01:22PM
Hard to tell many times here,,,just what this gent (Steve) really means.

Another comment of his,,,about older machines seemingly more worthy than newer machines.

Steve,,,maybe you could answer this question for me.

I hunted a civil war site some time back,,,this site busted hard for over 30 years,,,I am even acquainted with a few of the previous hunters,,,,they've been detecting since 1975.

When I took my finds and showed this one gent (ring leader),,, he was surprised at the quanitity of nonferrous found in the site.
The group had declared the site dead.

Most of these targets were I highly suspect challenged targets,,,but Deus sniffed them out.

I truly believe there are some good older machines out there,,,but there are some good newer ones too.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/21/2017 01:26PM by tnsharpshooter.
Nice post my Lord Ziggy ! So I will give you the road on this one!
Thats I think one of the last video's I did. Tnsharpshooter Wrote:
> [m.youtube.com]
>
>
> This is a good video.
>
> Just because some folks do you tubes with detector
> s,,,,doesn't necessarily make them a BSer.
>
> We have other folks here,,,IMO worthy who do video
> s too.