Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Racer 2 Stumbling on Beaver Tails

Posted by Borneo_Bleeper 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Racer 2 Stumbling on Beaver Tails
January 27, 2017 08:51AM
Hello all. Been using a Racer 2 since March '16. Great in iron as you all know. Not too great with foil as most of you know (likes them too much). I have a reoccurring problem that I'm not sure if it's limited to just my machine or if it's just a short coming on other Racers as well. My machine has an annoying habit of assigning a much higher VDI reading on beaver tail section of a pull tab where the beaver tail has curled in on itself like a cinnamon roll. Does not matter if the beaver tail is alone or still attached to the pull ring. Most ring pulls are come it at around nickle to low aluminum. But on my machine a curled beaver tail might (not always) blow past the mid-50 mark. Yesterday one came in at a constant 78-82 on the VDI. around the 3" depth mark... a lone beaver tail without the ring pull. No other targets around. Then the next pull tab would again be in the expected VDI zone. The areas I hunt has mineralization mid 50's - mid 60's ground balance. This is an old public park that is extremely trashy and targets not too deep.

My settings for this park.
DI3, Disc: 10, Gain: 90. Sometimes lowered to 70 on the trashiest areas. Standard coil. Does not seem to happen with small coil. But I seldom use the small coil so my prognosis may be flawed.

On a related note at another site (old rugby pitch) where targets range from surface to deep, I'm also having problems sometimes with the Racer 2 calling foil as a higher number. Our local 10 cent coins (ID#20) can sometimes be assigned a much higher number up into the 50's when it's deeper. This is also true for small pieces of foil about 2-3 inches deep and the Racer calling it as a deep high conductor giving a VDI reading up to the 70's. Does not happen all the time but every detecting session it happens at least once or twice. Not too big a problem at this old rugby pitch as I tend to dig all targets mid foil and up.

My settings for this old rugby pitch.
DI2, Disc: 4, Gain 90. Standard coil.

Any body else has similar problems?
Re: Racer 2 Stumbling on Beaver Tails
January 27, 2017 11:03AM
I have seen using Racer 2,,,even Racer 1,, even Deus,,,and yes even Minlab CTX3030.

What do I think is happening,,,causing as far as Racer 2.

The rolled up aluminum,,,,detector spots this as higher conductive.

Higher than actual ID readings can be aggravated by higher soil minerals and or depth.

Target orientation and shape can affect also.

And small coil depending on the scenario,,,can see some things better than stock coil.

Most of the time,,,,,on a sliding scale,,,,,up averaging of TID will start sooner using smaller coil vs larger coil from a depth perspective.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/27/2017 12:24PM by tnsharpshooter.
January 27, 2017 02:23PM
The 'good news' is that. it's not a problem.
The bad news is that's just the way the "Racer/s" function.

I've extensively tested both the 'Red original', and the 'Racer 2': have tested them with 3 different coils and all coils will vary the Target ID's.

On the original, pull tabs came in the 50's
On the R2, they came in 30's

Saltwater can change that and they can read higher, possibly into the high 58's to 61

I'd imagine ground minerals [ will add ] unexpected ground read values to the Target ID's and coupled with the VERY FAST recovery of the Racer 2, it will spot the [ differences ] in shape/s and ADD secondary eddy current values to the folded over ring pulls thereby increasing the TID

Then, you will have the differences in aluminum quantity/size/shape that the detector will quite easily spot and therefore can/will assign [ varying ] TID values to what at first glance 'look like' exactly the same items.

There is another feature of the Racer's to consider and that is, the OVERLOAD signalling that many have reported on.
"If", the coil is close enough and just a smidgin away from the target what [ could happen ] is the detector might [ increase ] the receive portion of the target signal as BIG without sounding the overload sound but [ could ] increase the TID's by simple default?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/27/2017 02:34PM by Des D.
January 27, 2017 03:05PM
I've had pull tab signals range from 30 up into the high 50's, but I've never had one hit in the 75-82 range.
January 27, 2017 03:10PM
Take a ring style type with ring attached,,,roll around ring pull,,tightly.

I dig one a few days ago,,,actually 2 rolled up together,,,CTX was reading definitely higher than low conductor,,actually on the high side of mid conductor.

Oh the possibilities one can run into detecting.

Pure pot luck or poor pot luck as to what one can find sometimes,,,,based on meter readings.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/27/2017 03:55PM by tnsharpshooter.
January 27, 2017 03:46PM
Borneo Bleeper is discussing Pull Tabs AND Ring Pulls - there is a difference.

He also refers to 'pull tab' and 'a beaver tail section' which is incorrect. He's actually referring to the older 'ring pulls' that come in 2 round shapes and not the more modern/common square pull tab.

Get your ducks in a row please.
January 27, 2017 07:01PM
Yes I'm talking about the older ring pulls that are supposed to be pulled off completely from the can. The ring area and the beavertail shaped section that always curves round slightly. Not the square tabs.... which is another minefield.
January 28, 2017 03:48AM
"...Does not seem to happen with small coil. But I seldom use the small coil ..."

I'm not trying to be a smart alec here, but you've actually posted your own solution (or work-around, anyway).
Use the small coil in trashy parks! That's what it excels at.

Yes, it would be ideal if the standard coil could do everything exactly the way you want, BUT Makro
produced a small coil that works very well. You have one! Every detector has its pros and cons. By switching
to the appropriate coil for the hunting situation, you can accentuate the pros and reduce the cons.

My recommendation: Use the best coil for the ground you're hunting.
January 28, 2017 11:57AM
When I used to park hunt with my F75 LTD, it also experienced the same problem with manipulated ring-pulls, and like you, it drove me crazy.

I haven't really don't a lot of park hunting with my Racer1/2, but I suspect it's going to have a similar affect. If you're seeing the effect negated with the small coil, that's a good solution as it'll find a lot of stuff that the 10" and 11" factory coils will not.

-Cal
January 28, 2017 12:31PM
The Racer 2 does stumble on beaver tails with the bigger coil. The smaller coil separates better and id's better but lacks depth.
January 28, 2017 09:37PM
deadeye Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The Racer 2 does stumble on beaver tails with the
> bigger coil. The smaller coil separates better and
> id's better but lacks depth.

I wouldn't say it lacks depth, I've dug coins 6-7" deep with it, but it's definitely not as deep as the larger coils.