Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Seeded Hunt

Posted by hightone 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Seeded Hunt
January 28, 2017 01:02PM
I never done one of these before and was wondering if my cz6 would be a good machine for this type of hunting. They said the targets would be no deeper then 4 inches. Im just looking for a little advice. Thanks for looking and Happy Hunting.

Red Racer~cz6~Vista Gold~ Pro Pointer
Re: Seeded Hunt
January 28, 2017 01:12PM
My daughter and i done one, i used the R2 and she was using a Bounty Hunter tracker IV, she had near double my total lol
January 28, 2017 03:24PM
CZ is overkill as you don't need depth but speed and coverage. Also a unit where you can change frequencies is a plus.
January 28, 2017 03:38PM
For seeded hunts, typically speed of recovery and picking a machine that is EMI resistant is key IMHO. Also a larger coil and a light weight machine will help you hover up targets.

-Cal
January 28, 2017 05:41PM
For seeded hunts I use the machine I am the most familiar with. Typically, coins are not planted deep, unless a DEEP SEEDED coin hunt. A detector that can handle a brisk sweep speed is a plus along with a precise pin point and being able to recover coins quickly. I also run with a moderate sen. setting. Depth is not important. Good luck! HH jim tn
January 28, 2017 06:54PM
I wouldn't use a CZ for seeded competition hunts--(maybe) a Racer though.------That's just one more reason why I love the versatile F-19 so well.------My wife & I both use 19's or G2+'s on seeded hunts and they are very good.-----She always comes out with more coins than I do though---I'm getting old & slow!smiling smiley-------But yeah, I'd use the Racer for this purpose of the ones you mentioned.------------Del
January 28, 2017 09:39PM
Del the Racer kicks butt at seeded hunts!

It got me a gold coin in the grand finale hunt, and higher target count at the Riverside hunt the first time I switched from my Omega to the Racer smileys with beer

HH,
Cal
January 28, 2017 11:24PM
ghound Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> My daughter and i done one, i used the R2 and she
> was using a Bounty Hunter tracker IV, she had near
> double my total lol

That's probably because she doesn't how to discriminate. winking smiley
January 29, 2017 04:40AM
I have never been on one.

Probably never will.

Would like to participate in one of the diggin in Va hunts.

But could I hold up long enough,,,big question here.

Not a young whippersnapper like some.

I would even be satisfied just tagging along with someone who knows better what they are doing.

I guess the seeded hunts do build some comradery.

Reminds me though of a turkey shoot,,,,I've been to a few of those,,,never figured out the actual why behind those.
January 29, 2017 04:51AM
tnsharpshooter Wrote:
> I have never been on one.
>
> Probably never will.
>
> Would like to participate in one of the diggin in
> Va hunts.
>
> But could I hold up long enough,,,big question her
> e.
>
> Not a young whippersnapper like some.
>
> I would even be satisfied just tagging along with
> someone who knows better what they are doing.
>
> I guess the seeded hunts do build some comradery.
>
> Reminds me though of a turkey shoot,,,,I've been t
> o a few of those,,,never figured out the actual wh
> y behind those.

I've always called 'em "Easter egg hunts".winking smiley-----You do meet a lot of people at them if that's your thing---they are kinda fun.
January 29, 2017 07:47AM
Never been in one but organized a club hunt! There will be a few in Penn. this year and I hope to attend both. The Rutus Alter will fit the bill with on the fly frequency changes. Lets hope I still have it by May! They have a bottle cap hunt. My Sovereign gives a distinct sound on caps. To old to move fast. Just going to meet Facebook friends!
spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
January 29, 2017 03:14PM
Thanks for your replays guys. probley take the cz and the racer. Should be fun i got family there and a chance to meet some people at the hunt.Thanks again HH
January 29, 2017 03:20PM
I'm with Del, they are kind of like a Easter egg hunt, but are fun a couple times a year. The Racer on that kind of a hunt should do you will. Although I did use a Cz3d once on one and did fine. HH jim tn
January 29, 2017 05:55PM
Racer with 11" ir any fisher/tek with 11". Super fast, light, and coverage. Its all about speed and coverage. The one I've done with Omega and it cleaned house on prize tokens.
January 29, 2017 07:25PM
LoL your probably right!
Bill long Wrote:
> ghound Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > My daughter and i done one, i used the R2 and sh
> e
> > was using a Bounty Hunter tracker IV, she had ne
> ar
> > double my total lol
>
>
> That's probably because she doesn't how to discrim
> inate. winking smiley
February 22, 2017 06:10PM
tnsharpshooter Wrote:
> I have never been on one.
>
> Probably never will.
>
> Would like to participate in one of the diggin in
> Va hunts.
>
> But could I hold up long enough,,,big question her
> e.

>
> Not a young whippersnapper like some.
>
> I would even be satisfied just tagging along with.
> someone who knows better what they are doing.
>
> I guess the seeded hunts do build some comradery.
>
> Reminds me though of a turkey shoot,,,,I've been t
> o a few of those,,,never figured out the actual wh
> y behind those.

Holding up long enough? Most seeded hunts last 30-45 minutes. As mentioned on other replys, speed & accuracy in digging target very important. I try to participate in the competition hunts as much as my wallet will allow. I'm 59 and overweight. Most of the targets are gone in the first 10-15 minutes. If your stamina is good enough to move at a brisk pace for the first 15 minutes, you will do fine in these hunts. I give out after the first 15 minutes & then have to slow down. But I can still get my fair share. So give it a go & have some fun.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/22/2017 06:17PM by Sataro.
wjs
February 22, 2017 07:03PM
I like a detector with good accuracy and a larger coil. If the place they have the seeded hunt is a public place like a park with other trash in it you need something with a good ID or at least know what targets they planted so you can get an idea on which ones to look for. Don't waste time digging real deep signals or ones that are not in the planted target zones. Time is critical......;o)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/22/2017 07:03PM by wjs.
February 22, 2017 07:54PM
The "diggin in Va hunts" he mentioned are not planted, but are vast private properties opened up to relic hunters for a 2-3 day competition hunt, hunt as long as you can.

Sataro Wrote:
> tnsharpshooter Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I have never been on one.
> >
> > Probably never will.
> >
> > Would like to participate in one of the diggin i
> n
> > Va hunts.
> >
> > But could I hold up long enough,,,big questio
> n her
> > e.

> >
> > Not a young whippersnapper like some.
> >
> > I would even be satisfied just tagging along wit
> h.
> > someone who knows better what they are doing.
> >
> > I guess the seeded hunts do build some comradery
> .
> >
> > Reminds me though of a turkey shoot,,,,I've been
> t
> > o a few of those,,,never figured out the actual
> wh
> > y behind those.
>
> Holding up long enough? Most seeded hunts last 30-
> 45 minutes. As mentioned on other replys, speed &
> accuracy in digging target very important. I try t
> o participate in the competition hunts as much as
> my wallet will allow. I'm 59 and overweight. Most
> of the targets are gone in the first 10-15 minutes
> . If your stamina is good enough to move at a bris
> k pace for the first 15 minutes, you will do fine
> in these hunts. I give out after the first 15 minu
> tes & then have to slow down. But I can still get
> my fair share. So give it a go & have some fun.
February 22, 2017 08:19PM
I watched one once in Knoxville TN and it was a joke. Many (most?) of the coins were thrown at random into the field while the hunters' backs were turned. A pinpointer in each hand sweeping the ground would have done as well as anything.
February 22, 2017 09:13PM
Hey you may get a "seeded" quarter LOL
Seeded Hunt
February 22, 2017 11:27PM
Beyonder-Pa Wrote:
> Hey you may get a "seeded" quarter LOL

>grinning smiley<

I was waiting for that. . .

Rich -

------------------------------------------------------------------

Just one more good target before I go.
February 23, 2017 11:47AM
I have used the AT PRO with the 8.5x11 coil and the DFX with the Bigfoot coil, some places don't allow the Bigfoot coil.
February 23, 2017 01:20PM
Compadre or the new Mojave would be great on a seeded hunt. I used a Tesoro Sidewinder once in one and I did really well.
February 23, 2017 01:20PM
I been thinking about having one on my farm before it is sold, still a few relics left not many but a few, how are they set up?
wjs
February 23, 2017 01:59PM

I been thinking about having one on my farm before it is sold, still a few relics left not many but a few, how are they set up?

I am sure they can be setup many different ways. The one I went to they marked off a field and then planted coins, tokens and other things around the field. Nothing was more than a couple inches deep. There were tokens with numbers on them that corresponded to prizes. And they had some silver coins, Indian head pennies, some buffalo nickels and some gold colored zinc pennies. They had a test bed contest and a detector throwing contest.......;o)