Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

EMI caused by commercial aircraft

Posted by tnsharpshooter 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
EMI caused by commercial aircraft
January 31, 2017 11:14PM
Was in a site today,, detector I was using shut down from EMI. It happened a few days ago but only briefly. Today different story. Freq offset would help,,,but sometimes any and all options no could do to itigate EMI.

I waved the coil,,,,thinking this gas line station might have been causing,,,,but this EMI problem would come and go.

I started looking up,,,,and sure enough I could see a/c vapor trails.

I continued to hunt,,,and when EMI would start rising (audible) I would look around and sure enough another plane headed my direction at cruise altitude.

There muat have been 20 plus aircraft that crossed paths near me in 45 minute period.

Very aggravating.

I actually can't prove this,,,,but I did see a pattern.

Never once when I had substantial EMI interference ,,,did I look up and around and couldn't see an aircraft.

Just guessing it seems aircraft within 5-7 miles of me seem to be when EMI would be the worst.

Cheers

Cross eyed and cross eared,,,used too many different detector today.lol
Re: EMI caused by commercial aircraft
February 01, 2017 12:10AM
I hunted for a long time a Naval base demo'ed housing site which was right across a highway from the end of one of the bases airport runways. I can attest, at least those low flying, that airplanes can cause emi. HH jim tn
February 01, 2017 12:20AM
I had the same thing happen to me while out in the middle of the desert nugget hunting. My PI would begin to pulse as the planes flew by, military and commercial.
February 01, 2017 01:09AM
I live near SeaTac airport and sometimes have a lot of EMI problems. I assumed it was caused by the aircraft as it seems to happen when there is a lot of activity.
February 01, 2017 01:19AM
Radio altimeter may be the culprit.
February 01, 2017 02:16AM
((( Called = Transponder )))
February 01, 2017 11:43PM
Hunting near my property at Gold Basin,AZ. the ML pulse machines would sound off when a jet was approaching Las Vegas----737's were the worst.
February 02, 2017 12:24AM
Way back in the brown shoe army days (lol) when there was no discussion about emi, cause nobody new what emi was. I was hunting with an ole tube type detector. At times I could listen to conversations between the pilot and the tower through my headphones.I reckon that was some form of emi
February 02, 2017 02:22AM
A few years ago, actually got a radio station on a Garrett Ace 250, but seems to work ok, when had it. HH
February 03, 2017 10:07PM
A cell phone on your pocket can mess up your detector as well.. I was using my X5 once and noticed that performance was a little off. Shutting down my cell phone seemed to fix the problem.
February 03, 2017 10:07PM
A cell phone on your pocket can mess up your detector as well.. I was using my X5 once and noticed that performance was a little off. Shutting down my cell phone seemed to fix the problem.