Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

PI detector (frequency transmitted)

Posted by tnsharpshooter 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
PI detector (frequency transmitted)
February 03, 2017 12:48AM
Someone here with more knowledge than myself,,,,talk about frequency as it relates to pulse detectors.

Is there any advantages to using higher or lower freqs???
Is there such a thing as a multi freq pulse detector (truly) on paper no bs

I would like to be better able to relate how freq affects detection with these types of units.
Re: PI detector (frequency transmitted)
February 03, 2017 01:53AM
Firstly, a pulse induction detector doesn't transmit at a 'frequency'...it transmits a pulse, quickly shuts off, receives/'listens', then repeats.
So you could talk about the 'operational frequency' of the pulse train of a PI...but technically not a steady 'frequency transmitted'.

The VLF machines operate in the frequency domain, and the PI machines operate in the time domain.
This makes them so fundamentally different that an argument could be made that a PI detector shares more in common philosophically with SONAR that with a VLF detector.

A transmitted pulse, by it's very nature, is already broadband...therefore there is no need for any multi freq BBS type capabilities.
If you want to increase the detection depth of a PI, just increase the magnitude of the pulse. (Observing the limits of the electronics, of course.)
Thus the popularity of higher voltage aftermarket batteries for the likes of the TDI, etc.

This broadband nature is also the reason PI machines tend to be more sensitive to EMI than VLFs.
The main reason to have adjustable freq on a PI is to avoid that EMI.

I'm sure Carl M would have a whole lot more to say/add...
smiling smiley
mike

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/03/2017 02:16AM by Mike in CO.
February 03, 2017 02:22AM
Tn..

Do a little digging on the web. Look for answers to your very relevant questions.

There's 10 - 15 years of good and bad data to answer your question/\,

Rick Kempf
Gold Canyon AZ- where there is no gold
February 03, 2017 02:29AM
You seem to be thinking in VLF terms for P.I. technology..

A PIs sensitivity to types of different metals is basically determined by how powerful and strong the pulse is and also the very important pulse delay/s..

A P.I. is timed gated spikes of energy ...and operates in Time domain...it sends out a square wave at timed intervals..(PPS) and VLF sends out a sine type wave that's constant in frequency..

Usually the frequency adjustment on a P.I. is for shifting the PPS....

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
February 03, 2017 02:42AM
There he goes again... Keith clearly answering a question ---- when I, lazy as I am, could only suggest that the questioner do a bit of homework.

Nice work Mr. k.

Rick Kempf
Gold Canyon AZ- where there is no gold
February 03, 2017 02:51AM
Keith Southern Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You seem to be thinking in VLF terms for P.I. tech
> nology..
>
> A PIs sensitivity to types of different metals is
> basically determined by how powerful and strong
> the pulse is and also the very important pulse d
> elay/s..
>
>
> A P.I. is timed gated spikes of energy ...and ope
> rates in Time domain...it sends out a square wave
> at timed intervals..(PPS) and VLF sends out a sine
> type wave that's constant in frequency..
>
> Usually the frequency adjustment on a P.I. is for
> shifting the PPS....
>
> Keith

Not exactly thinking in those terms.
But have been thinking a lot about how to improve depth with a detector,,,and thinking about the possibilities of a hybrid Vlf PI unit.
Basically trying to brush up some on what has been tried and already done.
February 03, 2017 02:58AM
http://www.nuggetshooter.com/articles/UnderstandingPIdetector.html

DeepTech Vista X with 3 search coils.
Works for me
February 03, 2017 03:36AM
Answers so far are correct, the frequency of a PI is its pulse rate in PPS, pulses per second. Some examples: SurfPI and Sandshark run at 600Hz, TDI runs at 3kHz, GoldQuest runs at 10kHz. There are a lot of trade-offs going on here, it's not so simple to say "higher is better" without defining what "better" means.

Yes, there are "multi-frequency" PI's, actually multi-pulse width. The Minelab GPX series ferinstance. And there are hybrid VLF/PI designs. In a past life I did a lot of work in this area. Still am, but in a slightly different direction.

BTW, the old distinction of "VLF" and "PI" are rapidly vanishing. New approaches like the GPZ are neither and both. Same with stuff I (and others) are working on.
February 03, 2017 03:46AM
Excellent Carl..On the NEW Projects especially..

May I ask if You know

On a BBS or FBS unit's is it in some ways a square wave pulsed technology...

always found that technology UNIQUE!! Yet maybe Overblown in technical jargon and catchy flashy sales brochure diagrams ..

I know you're busy but if you have the Time

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
February 03, 2017 03:49AM

tnsharpshooter Wrote:
Someone here with more knowledge than myself,,,,talk about frequency as it relates to pulse detectors.

Is there any advantages to using higher or lower freqs??? Is there such a thing as a multi freq pulse detect or (truly) on paper no bs. I would like to be better able to relate how freq affects detection with these types of units.

Keith Southern Wrote:
You seem to be thinking in VLF terms for P.I. technology.. A PIs sensitivity to types of different metals is basically determined by how powerful and strong the pulse is and also the very important pulse delay/s.. A P.I. is timed gated spikes of energy ...and operates in Time domain...it sends out a square wave at timed intervals..(PPS) and VLF sends out a sine type wave that's constant in frequency.. Usually the frequency adjustment on a P.I. is for shifting the PPS....

Keith

tnsharpshooter Wrote:

Not exactly thinking in those terms.
But have been thinking a lot about how to improve depth with a detector,,,and thinking about the possibilities of a hybrid Vlf PI unit.
Basically trying to brush up some on what has been tried and already done.

Can't get a better answer than that and it answer the initial question to an exact - so - if not thinking in those "terms" then what exactly are you asking?

Pulse machines work on pulse waves that can be sped up/slowed down (PPS) unless "fixed rate" and VLF work on sine/radio type waves

seems this is what you were asking in a more or less sense as to "how" they work/operate?
February 03, 2017 03:52AM
Geotech Wrote:

>
> BTW, the old distinction of "VLF" and "PI" are rap
> idly vanishing. New approaches like the GPZ are ne
> ither and both. Same with stuff I (and others) are
> working on.

This part of your response,,,interesting.
Sounds like some out of the box thinking has happened and is still happening.
February 03, 2017 05:12AM
Keith Southern Wrote:
> On a BBS or FBS unit's is it in some ways a square
> wave pulsed technology...

That's another "not quite easy to name" type. It's a continuous-time transmitter with discrete-time receiver using time-multiplexed multiple frequencies. Overall more VLF-ish but with a time-domain twist.
February 03, 2017 12:36PM
Ha, this information is all above my paygrade, but, damned if I don't love to see it on Dankowskis again.
February 03, 2017 02:48PM
Carl --- Multifaceted appreciation.
February 03, 2017 08:15PM
Thank you Carl..

I know it does work in certain soils better than anything for I.D. accuracy ..So surely it had to be different tech..

Thank you.

Keith

-Nikola Tesla
February 04, 2017 12:33AM
on you tube detector mods has a vid of gpx 5000 mod variable gain and frequency. he shows before and after mod tests. it hits small gold like 2300
February 04, 2017 01:08PM
Here is some good reading on the subject.

[electronics.howstuffworks.com]
February 05, 2017 12:52PM
Carl..... you ever get one of those combos ready for the water and need a guinea pig to get it wet let me know. About time for something new in the salt water.

Dew
February 05, 2017 05:52PM
markg Wrote:
> Here is some good reading on the subject.
>
> [electronics.howstuffworks.com]
> -gadgets/metal-detector4.htm

Markg, good review of systems--Thanks.