Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

First total solar Eclipse since 1979 in mainland US coming up - lucky you!

Posted by Scoopy_Doo 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
First total solar Eclipse since 1979 in mainland US coming up - lucky you!
February 09, 2017 11:10PM
Hi everyone,

thought I'd post this thinking most detectorists are outdoorsy people like myself and might enjoy this (other than finding new detecting sites) winking smiley.

It's also a great reason for me to fly to the US, hope to make some time for that - I just love watching total solar eclipses ... have seen a few.

Hope you get to see it, Happy Hunting, Scoopy_Doo

Heres's a link to all the info (21st August 2017):

[earthsky.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/09/2017 11:12PM by Scoopy_Doo.
Re: First total solar Eclipse since 1979 in mainland US coming up - lucky you!
February 09, 2017 11:52PM
I have a hotel room reserved in Santee South Carolina and Sweetwater Tennessee. A few days before the eclipse I will check the weather and see which site will have the best weather and cancel the other reservation. If you don't have a room reserved by now, you might not get one.

Wally
February 09, 2017 11:59PM
Wildwally -- Sweetwater, TN is only 11 miles from me. I guess you know, but this is the "chosen" area for the viewing of the eclipse and you are correct, the hotels are basically full from Kentucky through here, and beyond along the path. Sweetwater is kind of a run down little town. You might wanna bring some bed bug protection if they make such a thing.
February 10, 2017 12:33AM
I' ll be staying at Quality Inn West 249 Highway 68, Sweetwater, TN. Expedia.com rates it at very good, about the best rated hotel / motel in the area. IF we go there and not to Santee S.C., we also plan on visiting the 'lost sea' underwater cave attraction. There's really nothing in Santee S.C. besides golf, but my 7 year old doesn't golf. sad smiley
February 10, 2017 12:40AM
Its dead center 1/2 mile from my house. Hope weather cooperates.
February 10, 2017 02:09AM
Wildwally -- Athens is the town I live in...it is the more modern town of the two. The area around the interstate has boomed in recent years and all the hotels there are newer than anything in Sweetwater. I would try booking one there if you can. Like I say, Athens is just approx 11 miles from Sweetwater. I'll be 35 this year and all the hotels in Sweetwater predate me. Lol The Lost Sea is neat, you'll enjoy it if you like caves. There is even a boat ride on the lake at the bottom of it. The tour guide will make or break it though. Last time I went, the guide ran off and left everybody except for me and a few others that could keep up with her. The ones that lagged behind didn't get to hear much of the features and stops along the route and didn't have much time to catch their breath.