Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

I just picked up a CZ5, I have a couple of questions.

Posted by Dan(NM) 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
I just picked up a CZ5, I have a couple of questions.
February 12, 2017 01:52AM
Hi guys, I just bought a CZ5 tonight and I had a couple of questions concerning Tom's tune-up. Can anyone give me an idea how much and does it really make that much of a difference? What's a good air depth test on a nickle using the 8" coil to find out if I need to have it tuned or not? It's been about 18 years since I've used a CZ, my memory's a bit fuzzy! Thanks for any and all input.
Re: I just picked up a CZ5, I have a couple of questions.
February 12, 2017 03:15AM
I think it's about 100 bucks and shipping out there.
If you contact him he will give you parameters for testing to help you make the determination as to whether you want to do it or not.
February 12, 2017 03:36AM
Dan...air test a clad dime. Put the units GB at 5, the discrimination setting at zero, volume at max and sensitivity in the 4-5 range.

It should have a repeatable high tone at least out to 8-9 inches...the more the better.

Also, PM Tom....not sure how much he can do to increase depth. Most of the tune ups from what I read and recall are for calibration and making sure the discrimination windows are correct.

What you don't want is a CZ that's IDing incorrectly and the clad dime coming in as a mid tone or low tone at that range (8-9 inches). Most of the properly tuned and deep CZ's can hit a clad time in an air test with a repeatable signal in the 9-11 inch range.

An air test in the 8-9 inch range is very good and anything more is a really good CZ. CZ's do better in the ground anyway....never saw a metal detector find coins in the air. Air testing is a gauge to make sure your unit is not totally out of whack. Most importantly you want deeper coins to hit as high tone and ID properly.

When hunting make sure your first 15-20 hunts are in discrimination setting of 0 so you hear all targets and not get fooled by iron wrap. Being a CZ user for 20+ years, I still hunt in 0 discrimination setting all the time. Also, make sure you ground balance and check it often. A CZ needs to be properly ground balanced to work optimally.
February 12, 2017 03:39PM
The rover hit he nail on he head....Some CZ's won't air test as good as your buddies but all CZ's go deep in the ground where it counts. Tom will adjust to max for depth and accuracy and air test depth will vary but he will improve it..some more than others..In other words no set improvement...might be the best bucks you ever spent...
February 12, 2017 07:46PM
Good luck with your CZ. There good machines.