Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

What does depth discrimination mean

Posted by guvmore 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
What does depth discrimination mean
February 15, 2017 03:43AM
Does it limit the coil depth??or better disc on depth am I even in the ball park?
Re: What does depth discrimination mean
February 15, 2017 09:59AM
Hi, on the gm5+ it's a funny setup and im still playing around with it, but in low disc depth it lets you disc out shallow items say to a couple of inch, then for the rest of the detection depth your pretty much in ferrous/non ferrous and it go's a tad deeper, but you wont get a screen reading at depth, just tone.
This would be ideal in parts of europe when hunting ww1/2 sites as you can work around surface trash and dig bigger deep items like helmets, guns etc.
At full disc depth it's ideal for coins in trash, it's very black and white in this regard and screen ID is more stable and it's very fast.
At factory setting of 10 out of 15, it's pretty good for my type of relic hunting, it lets mixed items like small brass buttons with iron backs come through better with just a hint of iron and a good screen ID.
like i said, i don't have a lot of hours on this machine yet, this is just my initial feeling on how it's working so i may be off in parts, Ziggy has had his unit longer and might be able to offer a better explanation than myself.
You could possible also set it best to suit your ground mineralization so as you get the best possible/stable screen ID.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/15/2017 10:05AM by ghound.
February 15, 2017 10:07AM
Many machines can read deep coins (Items) as iron on the edge of the detection range... With Discrimination depth level adjustment you choose where the disc range ends... So say with the GM5+.... At Disc level 15 the discrimination range will go to the end of the detection range, say at level 7 the discrimination range is reduced so you start reading iron items at the end of the detection range as good targets, kind of like a all metal disc hybrid.

Now I've only just started testing the GM5+ on the scale of things but with say your Disc Depth Level set at 7-8 them coins on the edge of detections range that once read as iron will now read as good targets and give good audio but iron at the same depth will now give subtle hints of iron by breaking (crackle) the tone or slight hints of iron audio, not in all cases.

So basically at Full Disc Depth level of 15 Your machine will have discrimination level to match full length of the detection range, start reducing that level and then your machine will start seeing deeper iron items as good targets.

It's a balancing game and a learning game but can be beneficial once mastered in order to get those deeper good targets.
February 15, 2017 10:14AM
If i was after milled silver coins in modern trash I'd be running full disc depth as it gives a better screen ID.
Mostly im after relics so factory 10 at the moment till i see how it go's as it seems to blend the tones better, as Keith would say.
February 15, 2017 10:26AM
IMHO, it's simple to ugliness.
discrimination depth is simply filter the signal level for discrimination.
If the signal exceeds the threshold level, then it works out discrimination, if not - it does not work out ...
February 15, 2017 10:27AM
ghound Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If i was after milled silver coins in modern trash
> I'd be running full disc depth as it gives a bette
> r screen ID.
> Mostly im after relics so factory 10 at the moment
> till i see how it go's as it seems to blend the to
> nes better, as Keith would say.

Yeah for sure..... The lower Disc level ranges are there to gain advantage on deeper items, for park work and general field hunting then preset disc level or above is dandy.
February 15, 2017 11:25AM
Ziggy, i find the tone break just a little high at the end of the iron zone, if i turn it down a shade to break on a small nail, then turn up the disc depth to 15 it works good, need to try it in ground though!

Ziggy Wrote:
> ghound Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > If i was after milled silver coins in modern tra
> sh
> > I'd be running full disc depth as it gives a bet
> te
> > r screen ID.
> > Mostly im after relics so factory 10 at the mome
> nt
> > till i see how it go's as it seems to blend the
> to
> > nes better, as Keith would say.
>
> Yeah for sure..... The lower Disc level ranges are
> there to gain advantage on deeper items, for park
> work and general field hunting then preset disc le
> vel or above is dandy.
February 15, 2017 01:45PM
I am praying for the ctx to get this feature.
wjs
February 15, 2017 02:10PM

I am praying for the ctx to get this feature.

Yes and a whole lot of people have been wanting more bins too.......Good luck.....;o)
February 15, 2017 04:18PM
wjs Wrote:
>

I am praying for the ctx to get this featur
> e.
>
> Yes and a whole lot of people have been wanting mo
> re bins too.......Good luck.....;o)

Apparently after all this time--"it ain't gonna happen".-----It sure would be nice if they would add one (or two) more bins though.
February 15, 2017 04:35PM
more bins means more processing and slower response time between targets. I just want to mute audio in a selected depth range and that is so easy to implement. imagine muting everything from 0-5 inches(yes I know there are drawbacks with this but it would work the majority of the time).
February 15, 2017 07:29PM
Interesting , thanks for info.....would be nice to skip the modern surface metal and go to the deep goodies.
February 15, 2017 09:10PM
guvmore Wrote:
> Interesting , thanks for info.....would be nice to
> skip the modern surface metal and go to the deep g
> oodies.

I once dug a deep barber quarter after I dug up a half dozen mid depth 1960's memorials.. which BTW...the quarter was 8" below the pennies.
February 15, 2017 09:40PM
Hombre Wrote:

> I once dug a deep barber quarter after I dug up a
> half dozen mid depth 1960's memorials.. which BTW.
> ..the quarter was 8" below the pennies.

=============

Nice find and understand your point but on the flip side it could take 1000 pull tab digs for one gold, too much work. hh