Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Garrett Z-Lynk

Posted by James/Texas 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Garrett Z-Lynk
February 16, 2017 04:37PM
Garrett z-Lynk. Who has one and are you having problems with the transmitter suddenly shutting off?? I am presently on my 3rd unit. Garrett has been good at replacing problem units for me but this is beginning to bother me. The first unit I had was defective and the transmitter wouldn't take a charge. I got a replacement charged it up and took it out. After about 30 minutes, the transmitter suddenly stopped working. It did this 3 more times before the hunt was over. Again, I called Garrett and the sent me another unit. I charged it up and took it out the next day. Again, I used it with my X-terra 705 and again, after around 30 minutes, the transmitter suddenly turned itself off. I changed detectors to my Fisher F19 and after 30 minutes, the transmitter shut off again. I turned it back on and after another 30 minutes the transmitter again shut off. This is the 3rd unit and I am getting tired of messing with this issue. The unit should not go off! This is unacceptable! I am going to call Garrett again and have a talk with them. I was just wondering if anyone else is having this problem with their unit. If so, Garrett has a big problem.

XP Deus Full & MI-6
Teknetics Minuteman
Re: Garrett Z-Lynk
February 16, 2017 05:22PM
Sounds like your unit is using the auto off function that shuts them off after 30 minutes of inactivity. I bet the unit needs a button pushed during that time or else it shuts off. that is a major bug and if you got 2 units in a row like that its a huge problem. in the meantime just hit the volume button ever 29 minutes so it doesnt auto off on you. what a pain. Did the 1st unit that wouldnt take a charge also Auto off after 30 minutes?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/16/2017 05:24PM by Diggs4ever.
February 16, 2017 05:38PM
I was told by Garrett that the unit does indeed have an auto off' feature that will turn off the unit after 10 minutes of inactivity. However, I am using my X-Terra 705 with an constant audio from the threshold and I am using the detector, so sounds are constantly being transmitted, so the transmitter should stay on. When I changed to the F19, I realize it runs quiet, but I an still getting plenty of hits, at least one a minute, to keep the Z-Lynk transmitter active. There is no reason for the transmitter in the Z-Lynk to shut off. I do realize that if the transmitter receives no signals to transmit, after 10 minutes will turn itself off. I have no problem with that and I consider it to be a good feature.
February 16, 2017 05:52PM
"I've been using a Z-Lynk set since January albeit a pre production system.
I've used it on several detectors and never had it shut off.
On a few detectors that I wasn't able to (a) use the provided black band and had to use an alternative rubber band (b) had to attach by other means e.g. Velcro, I was careful not to put a squeeze on any button. I also maintained 'line of sight' as best I could between the transmitter and the receiver.
Are you attaching your WT-1 by the supplied band?
Is there anything getting in the way e.g. A loose control box cover or something that's 'chafing' on the transmitter?

At least you're in the same State as they are so mail costs and your down time should be minimised?

Let us know how you go with the situation as potential buyers are watching!"
February 16, 2017 06:06PM
I am using the supplied band. I place the unit where I can see the red LED so I know it is on. Nothing is in the way and nothing can hit the button to accidentally turn the unit off. I actually had the unit to go off while the detector was sitting on the ground while I dug dug target. I am also using Garrett headphones. Garrett is paying for all shipping. Garrett has been very good and fast in responding to this problem. I am certainly not knocking Garrett. This problem will work itself out. I was just wondering if this is a common problem.
February 16, 2017 06:14PM
James/Texas Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I was told by Garrett that the unit does indeed ha
> ve an auto off' feature that will turn off the uni
> t after 10 minutes of inactivity. However, I am us
> ing my X-Terra 705 with an constant audio from the
> threshold and I am using the detector, so sounds a
> re constantly being transmitted, so the transmitte
> r should stay on. When I changed to the F19, I rea
> lize it runs quiet, but I an still getting plenty
> of hits, at least one a minute, to keep the Z-Lynk
> transmitter active. There is no reason for the tra
> nsmitter in the Z-Lynk to shut off. I do realize t
> hat if the transmitter receives no signals to tran
> smit, after 10 minutes will turn itself off. I hav
> e no problem with that and I consider it to be a g
> ood feature.

I relize the unit has sound going threw it what I was saying is there could be a bug where the unit will auto off even with the sound inless a button is pushed. garrett states the auto off works after 30 minutes. but your saying 10 minutes? here is garretts quote
Each module has an Auto-Off function that will switch off power after 30 minutes of inactivity.
So Im going buy that 30 minute mark you said your unit shuts off at. If so it's a bug that need's to be fixed

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/16/2017 06:16PM by Diggs4ever.
February 16, 2017 06:43PM
The unit I evaluated didn't have this issue. Stayed on the whole time detecting. When testing battery life I left them on with no audio feed and indeed the transmitter would shut off after 30 minutes of no activity as designed. The receiver would then go into search mode and shut off after 30 minutes of no link to the transmitter. I used it on an X-terra 705, Racer, and Etrac.
February 17, 2017 02:42PM
No, The first unit that wouldn't take a charge never did come on. I had it on charge and after 7 hours, the light went out which means the battery is charged, but the unit would never come on. I never was able to get out in the field with it. Having to press a button every 29 minutes is not what is supposed to happen. If they can not come up with a unit that will remain on while I am detecting, they can just keep it. I am sure that Garrett will come up with a solution. They are working with me.
February 17, 2017 03:01PM
James,
I was a bit peeved at having to charge the components via my laptop.
I DO realise, every home must have three dozen chargers for everything but, I'd have really liked a charger.

So how are you managing to charge your devices?
Could that process be causing your issues?

I'm just being 'advocates' here!

Good to hear G are helping resolve the issue.
I have a lot of time for all at Garrett.

Good Hunting, DesD
February 17, 2017 07:57PM
James/Texas Wrote:
> No, The first unit that wouldn't take a charge nev
> er did come on. I had it on charge and after 7 hou
> rs, the light went out which means the battery is
> charged, but the unit would never come on. I never
> was able to get out in the field with it. Having t
> o press a button every 29 minutes is not what is s
> upposed to happen. If they can not come up with a
> unit that will remain on while I am detecting, the
> y can just keep it. I am sure that Garrett will co
> me up with a solution. They are working with me.

Thanks for mentioning this it will be interesting to see how many units are afftected by this
February 17, 2017 08:36PM
I used a battery charger that I got from eBay. It is just like the one in the attached pic. It charges using the two USB ports on front of the charger. It also charges AAA, AA, C, D and 9v Alkaline, Ni-MH and Ni-Cd batteries. Yes, Alkaline. And it does a good job charging the Alkaline batteries. I do not think there is a problem at all charging the Z-Lynk with this or any USB as long as it puts out the 5v needed. Red LED's light up on the Z-Lynk's transmitter and receiver when plugged in and the LED's go off once the batteries are fully charged. It is as simple as that.
February 17, 2017 09:08PM
"That's a nice unit. I'm looking for a charger with 9V capability as well"
February 27, 2017 04:22AM
I just got this unit a few days ago,and I have the same issue with it shutting off after 30 minutes. Have you had any luck with Garrett? I am going to contact them tomorrow.
February 27, 2017 04:54AM
I recently bought one, no timeout issues here, fabulous unit so far, very impressed by how well it works....and the simplicity...
been using it on a Tek G2+ with Sennheiser HD555 headphones. Great product Garrett.
February 27, 2017 01:51PM
OK, I think the issue has now been resolved. Here is how it went. The first unit the transmitter wouldn't turn on after being on charge all night and the red LED had gone out. After speaking with Garrett, they sent me a new unit in a new box. That one, again after being properly charged, the transmitter would turn off after around 30 minutes of use while swinging and hearing targets. Another call to Garrett and another new unit is sent and old one sent back. Now, the 3rd unit comes in and gives the identical problem as the 2nd. The transmitter will just go off while swinging and getting target signals. Another call to Garrett and the 4th unit is shipped out. When it comes in, I charge the transmitter and receiver and the next day I take it out for around d 2 hours. It remains on the whole time and works flawlessly. Yesterday I took it out again for another 2 1/4 hours and again it works perfectly. So, after 4 units, I think I have a winner! I must say that throughout this ordeal that Garrett never questioned me and were very quick in getting me another unit and provided a shipping label to send the defective unit back in with. Yes, it was a bit of a bother to have had this happen and taking the time with sending the units back but these things do happen. I think they have now worked the bug out. I am really liking the Z-Lynk!
February 27, 2017 03:08PM
James/Texas Wrote:
> OK, I think the issue has now been resolved. Here
> is how it went. The first unit the transmitter wou
> ldn't turn on after being on charge all night and
> the red LED had gone out. After speaking with Garr
> ett, they sent me a new unit in a new box. That on
> e, again after being properly charged, the transmi
> tter would turn off after around 30 minutes of use
> while swinging and hearing targets. Another call t
> o Garrett and another new unit is sent and old one
> sent back. Now, the 3rd unit comes in and gives th
> e identical problem as the 2nd. The transmitter wi
> ll just go off while swinging and getting target s
> ignals. Another call to Garrett and the 4th unit i
> s shipped out. When it comes in, I charge the tran
> smitter and receiver and the next day I take it ou
> t for around d 2 hours. It remains on the whole ti
> me and works flawlessly. Yesterday I took it out a
> gain for another 2 1/4 hours and again it works pe
> rfectly. So, after 4 units, I think I have a winne
> r! I must say that throughout this ordeal that Gar
> rett never questioned me and were very quick in ge
> tting me another unit and provided a shipping labe
> l to send the defective unit back in with. Yes, it
> was a bit of a bother to have had this happen and
> taking the time with sending the units back but th
> ese things do happen. I think they have now worked
> the bug out. I am really liking the Z-Lynk!

I hope Garrett discloses what the problem is/was....I'm very curious....and thank goodness mine didn't have the issue! especially being in Canada and
ordering one from the states....

glad you've finally got a good one....now go find the good stuff with it....
February 27, 2017 04:06PM
No issues for me but I hunt sites that are loaded with iron signals.
February 27, 2017 05:51PM
"I'm delighted for you James!
Also pleased that Garrett saw it right and hope now that any similar complaints will be sorted quickly thanks to you in a round about kind of way!
I've been with Garrett since 1979 and thus far can not fault their equipment nor their service.
They have a great reputation.

Psssstttttt.... Hello Garrett, anyone there? Desi here...I'm patiently waiting for a New Coin & Treasure machine.... Do you have anything to tell me?" Lol....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/27/2017 06:24PM by Des D.
Re: Garrett Z-Lynk; hope it's not a bigger issue...
February 27, 2017 10:01PM
Hate to say it but this sounds like "Fifty Shades of White's."

Your second unit was obviously not the only bad one because a) the first one didn't work and b) the 3rd one also didn't work.
Garrett just kept sending you another one until you had one that worked. That's what White's did with MX Sports for the first 2 or 3 months before they even began to get a grip on the problems.

If you received THREE bad ones, how many others have bad ones? What's the difference between a good one and a bad one? Component batch, supplier, production change, etc, and what is Garrett doing, if anything, to keep from sending out bad units?

Curious how this is going to play out...

Wayne

Pleasant Garden, NC
AT Max, Nokta Impact, MX Sport, Nokta FORS Relic, GPX 4800, Infinium, Racer, Deus, F75SE, Nautilus DMC II (order of acquisition, last to first)

Does an archeologist argue with a plow? A bureaucrat with a bulldozer?
Re: Garrett Z-Lynk; hope it's not a bigger issue...
February 27, 2017 11:25PM
agree ncwayne, someone from Garrett must read this forum. A rep should respond....
September 02, 2017 12:48AM
I thought the Garrett Z-lynk was theoretically a good idea. A month and half ago i bought the system $127.00 purchase. Did the initial charge up and used it the first and second day with no problems. That night of day 2 i recharged it for a full charge for the following day. Both units off, so charge is complete. I pressed the receiver and it operates as suppose to. But the transmitter failed to turn on, hmmmm. I tried to contact other ppl about this issue but to no avail. So i purchased only another transmitter online and followed the same pattern of charge & recharge, and dang did the transmitter do the same as the first. WTH.... I noticed many others are having same issues. And funny when Garrett or those who Garrett sponsors on youtube, when they advertise the z-lynk, all comments are disabled on such vids hmmm. Apparently they dont care about hearing them, yet still continue pushing a product that has a bug in it. I miss not being connected to the machine and having freedom of movement. But i found a cheaper way around this. On ebay i purchased 2 audio transmitter/receiver units for $11.00 ea. They both have selector switch to make one a transmitter and other a receiver. For my garrett ace 400 i connect a 1/4 audio plug adapter to connect to the 3.5 male from transmitter. For the receiver i use headphones with the 3.5 male plugged into the receiver. It works and much cheaper than Garrett's. Only down side, runtime is only 8+ hrs instead of 30 from Garrett. (If theres a will, theres a way) I cant help make Garrett rich by buying transmitters every week

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/02/2017 12:52AM by radiopunk0.
September 02, 2017 12:17PM
I don't understand why this system isn't stereo? Or even with mono - stereo switch. We have few machines with stereo mixed mode on market!
September 02, 2017 01:14PM
Never had a problem on any of my detectors. But I hunt old house sites with tons of nails so my signals are "machine gun fire"!spinning smiley sticking its tongue out