Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

When are we going to see how the Impact stacks up?

Posted by ghound 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
wjs
Re: When are we going to see how the Impact stacks up?
March 11, 2017 10:49PM

Is the pinpoint switch open under the head unit or closed?

It has a little rubber boot over the pinpoint trigger. Looks like it should keep most of the dirt out.
March 11, 2017 11:01PM
Diggs4ever....I'm just sticking up for the good ole boys who have countless hours in. They have been Gurus to the detecting community. Been reading and watching them for years.....and they have produced very useful info. When I read negatives about these gentlemen, I will get defensive.

Even a simple fellow like myself can read ALL these reports from these fine gents and come up with a very good synopsis about a detector in order to form an opinion about it.
Very simple.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/11/2017 11:08PM by ozzie.
March 11, 2017 11:28PM
ozzie Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Diggs4ever....I'm just sticking up for the good ol
> e boys who have countless hours in. They have been
> Gurus to the detecting community. Been reading an
> d watching them for years.....and they have produc
> ed very useful info. When I read negatives about t
> hese gentlemen, I will get defensive.
>
> Even a simple fellow like myself can read ALL thes
> e reports from these fine gents and come up with a
> very good synopsis about a detector in order to fo
> rm an opinion about it.
> Very simple.

Yes Rightfully so I didnt mean it for the guys who write the reports and give the ins and outs etc etc, I ment it for the other guys who don't pay to play. I didn't explain it well and still dont no how to express what I really mean.
March 12, 2017 12:11AM
Keith when you say not as deep as a f75 in your dirt does that include in all metal mode?
March 12, 2017 03:07AM
I thought (nearly the entire) premise of my report(s) were almost exclusively head-to-head with F75 (T2/CZ/XP-GMP/Deus etc......).......to the point of giving exacting percentages.
March 12, 2017 03:47AM
Completely agree Tom and have went through your post all the way through at least 3 times and it is a awesome read as to the process that you went through in testing the impact, my question was in regards to Keith saying the impact did not meet the depth of the f75 in his "bad" dirt and was just curious if that was in regards to just the disc modes or all metal as well?
March 12, 2017 08:54AM
MichiganRelicHunter Wrote:
>

ghound Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> When are we going to see how the Impact stacks up?
>
> If it's a top level machine let's 'cut to the chas
> e' and see some proper 'head to head' with proven
> class leading machines in the field and test garde
> ns, and in 3-4bar dirt.
>
>
> When YOU buy one (and all those "proven machines"
> too) and spend your entire waking life trying to k
> eep up with the demands of making/editing the vide
> os so we can sit back and watch all your invested
> time/hard work, etc. be criticized by all the skep
> tical and delusional internet clowns that think th
> eir overpriced cell phone on a stick is the be all
> , do all, end all machine to all machines.

+100% - thumbs down

[www.earthscan.co.nz]
March 12, 2017 09:02AM
Have you tried the Fors Core? - Fors Gold? - Fors Gold Plus? - Fors Relic? - Makro Racer? - Racer2? etc etc

They are proven so there is no reason why the Impact wont be any different in quality or performance apart from their obvious improvements - easy to update - fantastic support - hell yeah I can understand why you hate it - Grab yourself one of those new 'Patriots' -

ghound Wrote:
> Showing a detector and how it performs is upto the
> manufacturer and their appointed testers/engineers
> etc
> Joe public shouldn't have to fork out £800 to see
> if what's being claimed by testers is correct.
> Putting up a few pics of finds, tell everyone it c
> an hang/or beat other top machines with no evidenc
> e, hhhmmmmmm, maybe there's a few delusional inter
> net tester clowns about too lol !
>
>
> MichiganRelicHunter Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> >

ghound Wrote:
> > ------------------------------------------------
> --
> > -----
> > When are we going to see how the Impact stacks u
> p?
> >
> > If it's a top level machine let's 'cut to the ch
> as
> > e' and see some proper 'head to head' with prove
> n
> > class leading machines in the field and test gar
> de
> > ns, and in 3-4bar dirt.
> >
> >
> > When YOU buy one (and all those "proven machines
> "
> > too) and spend your entire waking life trying to
> k
> > eep up with the demands of making/editing the vi
> de
> > os so we can sit back and watch all your investe
> d
> > time/hard work, etc. be criticized by all the sk
> ep
> > tical and delusional internet clowns that think
> th
> > eir overpriced cell phone on a stick is the be a
> ll
> > , do all, end all machine to all machines.

[www.earthscan.co.nz]
March 12, 2017 09:18AM
Grab yourself a Patriot?

Oh, you mean an AmeriTek Patriot by Teknetics?

That's the one which is a Fisher F70 - re-branded for direct sale by Www.tekneticsdirect.com.

A machine that has very similar performance to the F75 and ships free to the customer for $400 if you use discount code A 1482 (other dealers and reps have their own discount codes)

Yes, I guess he could buy one of those - come to think of it, for the price of an Impact, he could buy TWO of them!

Rick Kempf
Gold Canyon AZ- where there is no gold
March 12, 2017 09:26AM
I too would like to thank all of those testers of the Impact for all information/tests/videos etc as it highlights to me that Nokta/Makro recognize these people DO indeed give feedback (both positive & negative) in order to stream line their final product release -

We (the interested public) are kept up to date by people who give up their time freely to not only test but to take the knowledge that they have gained, together with their own experience and recommend suitable changes - How else with all due respect do we go about building equipment users want if the companies do not want to work in with their customers?

You cant go around locking threads all day when things start falling to bits after the release like some other big name company, so is it not better to sort the unit out first with people that can be trusted such as -

Mr Keith Southern
Mr Tom Dankowski
Mr Steve Herschbach

and the many many other Testers/Reviewers/Users

I regard these guys as my Metal Detector Knowledge Gods - as well I look up to many members around here & different forums and there are a few gems as well, but as far as I am concerned - Anything these three gentlemen have to say about detectors is Gospel in my book -
Again Guys, thank you for everything you all do - this place, this website, I mean is a breath of fresh air because the majority of the posters are on the ball and willing to share their experiences with different units - Cheers winking smiley

[www.earthscan.co.nz]
March 12, 2017 09:39AM
lytle78 Wrote:
> Grab yourself a Patriot?
>
> Oh, you mean an AmeriTek Patriot by Teknetics?
>
> That's the one which is a Fisher F70 - re-branded
> for direct sale by Www.tekneticsdirect.com.
>
> A machine that has very similar performance to the
> F75 and ships free to the customer for $400 if you
> use discount code A 1482 (other dealers and reps h
> ave their own discount codes)
>
> Yes, I guess he could buy one of those - come to t
> hink of it, for the price of an Impact, he could b
> uy TWO of them!

what do expect from older Tech that's just had some lippy applied - knock out prices?

if this company spent more time/energy on design than they do on marketing then perhaps something NEW might pop out the door -

its a shame about those AmeriTEKs only being sold in the US - No doubt the new ChinaTEKs will follow in quick succession -

I think to counter-counterfeiters perhaps the rest of the world could buy their stuff from the USA direct - it kinda make sense aye?

[www.earthscan.co.nz]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/12/2017 09:43AM by rustic charm.
March 12, 2017 09:49AM
R C - you never give up do you,

Still badmouthing First Texas and rooting for counterfeiters. Oh well.

The F75 platform (which is the same "engine" as the F70) seems to still be pretty much current technology - at least in the view of Tom D, Keith Southern, etc. who seemed to find that the F75 gets better depth than the Impact in tough mineralization. Of course you may have other opinions based on your own experience of the F70/F75.

Meanwhile I guess the money FT is paying Dave Johnson, Carl Moreland and a flock of other engineers is pointless, since YOU know that marketing is all they are really interested in.

Rick Kempf

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/12/2017 04:40PM by lytle78.
March 12, 2017 01:17PM
Just a thought:

If you look at Minelab & Fisher........................ they are SLLOOOOWWWWWW to come out with 'new technology'. (((Frustrates the hell out of some folks.))) But....... when they do........ it is usually a Grand-Slam......... basised off of past history. And.........then......... they begin life as a legacy ....... and remain a legacy for decades. Gold Bug, Sovereign, Advantage, Musky, T2, CZ, 1265/1266, Excal, CZ-20/21...........and still going strong. Nokta/Makro are hot-on-the-trail.

Dave Johnson knew the CZ was 'incomplete' and plagued with problems upon product roll-out. But....... corporate-demand prevailed. Frustrated he was/is.
Bruce Candy knew the Explorer was 'incomplete' and plagued with problems upon product roll-out. But...... corporate-demand prevailed. Frustrated he was/is.
Alper Tozan knows the Impact will be 'incomplete' and plagued with problems upon product roll-out. Frustrated he WILL be.

This is a commonality (trait) amongst engineers with our engineering mind-set. NOTHING is ever 'complete'. But......... nothing would ever roll-out if we engineers 'had it our way'. (((It's the internal self-inflicted demand for perfectionism......pridefully.)))

The Impact will indeed make a DEEP IMPACT in average (and above) experienced hands................ assuming no industry technological paradigm-shift ensues shortly thereafter. The Impact will also achieve legacy status. . . . . . . yet, with a 'frustrated' engineer. With the ability to instantly 'software-upgrade' a unit........ this will help mitigate 'some' of the incomplete//frustrated-engineer condition. Yet............... there will still be folks of whom will be frustrated that "why didn't these upgrades exist when I bought my unit" ...... and will continue to complain about 'stuff'.

LIFE!
March 12, 2017 01:35PM
Well put ,Tom.
Thank you for your time and hard work testing and suggesting for the Impact/Nokta.

Dean
March 12, 2017 01:39PM
The Impact will be rightly welcomed by the community - a remarkable achievement by a "freshman" in the marketplace. Competition is good, it gives us ever better tools.

Rick Kempf

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/12/2017 01:50PM by lytle78.
March 12, 2017 04:14PM
Comprehensive testing reviews will add up to a yes or no...It would need to be remarkable and I doubt XP has anything to worry about
March 12, 2017 04:55PM
Bad news for everybody who persists in bring new high end one-frequency-at-a-time detectors to market.

That technology is at a dead end. You can do nice stuff with audio discrimination - you can do great stuff with video displays like White's Signagraph of 10 or 15 years ago - still unmatched in displaying the complexitynof returned signals - but you can't do depth with discrimination in any soil with singlefreq. Heck, even with current multifreq (at the same time) the discrimination and sensitivity to small or deep stuff is limited.

New platforms with new modes of RF transmission and return signal analysis are the way forward. At least two market leaders are busy developing the next thing.

Rick Kempf
March 12, 2017 05:03PM
Yes more freq seem to let you hunt in different ground the future is here with the deus and impact

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
March 12, 2017 05:04PM
It is always disappointing to see some in the detecting community impugn the honesty and integrity of good people.

People who agree to test metal detectors for companies often seem to be the targets of insults. It is insinuated they would sell their integrity for the price of a metal detector. At a minimum you have people like Tom, who gives what in my opinion is the most detailed and comprehensive comparative report on any new detector I have ever read, only to have it totally discounted. When are we going to see how the Impact stacks up? When you read Tom's report in full plus his subsequent reports and take the time to understand what he has done. The depth and detail in that report are unprecedented, and an exacting view into a process almost nobody knows anything about. I am in total awe of what Tom did, and am very grateful for a peek at an incredibly detailed mind at work. I feel like a total slacker now smiling smiley

When are we going to know how the Impact stacks up? My jaw is still on the floor.

The common thread is "they got the detector for free". Oh really? Again, did anyone even read Tom's report. Free? I doubt it covered his gas money, let alone time. Yeah, testers often keep the machines. What is the company supposed to do - pay to have an unsaleable used prototype machine shipped back? Some do because they do not want early prototypes falling into anybodies hands. Last version pre-production units are often left in the hands of the tester to save shipping back and as a token thanks for the work done.

I don't know what Tom makes per hour working his day job, but I sure know what I make when I am on the clock. The idea that a metal detector comes anywhere close to paying fair compensation for the time is a joke. Nobody would do this for the money. I quite literally burn more in gas money running out to real life gold fields to do the test work I do than any detector sold used is ever going to cover. I just got back from a run out to the desert to test a couple detectors plus the new Garrett ATX coil. Three days, two nights camping out of the front seat of my truck, and eight hours driving. Just to get in a couple days of doing it right.

What ultimately disturbs me however is the insinuation that the testers will literally sell their integrity and honesty for the price of a detector. All I can assume is that anyone making such an accusation would do just that, and can't imagine that other people can't be bought and sold so cheap. I am not saying you can't buy my integrity, but I am thinking if that is what you want, we better be talking at least six or seven figures! A detector I don't even need? Oh please. And someone like Tom I doubt will sell his integrity at any price.

Finally, when doing the type of testing that Tom did, there is never in my experience even a request that anything be said to anyone on a forum or otherwise. Secrecy is the name of the game, not promotion. The company is engaged in product development and needs testers to work with engineers to get real feedback from people who know more about detecting than they do. In actual fact, most companies would never, I repeat never, allow a tester to actually release the preproduction test reporting as Tom has done, no doubt with Makros permission. Lots of negatives get discussed that then get fixed, so why bring it up. That Nokta is confident enough to let the laundry air, so to speak, is pretty amazing.

Tom probably could have just did the test work and everything he said or did as regards Nokta just kept private. I am betting he was under no obligation to share anything with us, the public. People have no idea how lucky they are. They also apparently have no idea that when you discount the value of what somebody like Tom has done and even go so far as to question their integrity, it may also be the last time you ever see similar reports. This stuff is purely a labor of love, and it actually does hurt people when crap gets tossed around by selfish, ungrateful people. We all end up losing, as usual, due to the actions of the thoughtless few.

Why all the glowing reports, that oddly, seem to turn some people off? First, it is hard not to get a bit invested in a detector when a company is listening to your feedback and making suggestions you offer actually come to life. Actual hours and work are invested in the detector, and a bit of pride of ownership kicks in. Most testers tend to get pretty excited about the machine they are working with, and in fact by the end of the process are busting at the seams to share what they know. They have in fact been told to keep it secret and its driving them nuts! So the gag comes off and they all blab away at once. So sue them. Have people seriously got so few problems in the world that we have to make even something as harmless as this into an issue?

OK, rant over. I don't post here much anymore. Why? The negative people. I just don't like negative people. I decided to stop reporting on detectors outside my own website. I figure if people go to the trouble of finding me there they can't very well complain about what I have to say. And that is my final comment on all this. You can, with negative commentary, drive good people away. The best, most knowledgeable detectorists really have little to learn. They are mostly here to share a passion for detecting with others because it is a subject they love to discuss. Unfortunately, I am seeing many of the best go silent. I am not sure what it is but the internet has become a meaner place than it once was, and many of the people I used to follow are now gone. It really is a shame but I understand why. You let the negative people gain the upper hand, and the good people go away.

So I am coming out of my walled garden to say thank you to all of you who take the time to share information. Any information at all, in any way, shape or fashion. That you for adding to the flow of knowledge between like minds on subjects we care about. I don't care why you are sharing it, just thank you for sharing it. I can decide for myself what is useful for me. What is not, may be useful for others. You have both my appreciation and my sympathy. And Tom, thank you in particular for what you do to advance the technical aspects of metal detecting to the degree that you do. Your attention to detail really just blows me away. Thanks!

Steve Herschbach

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/12/2017 05:34PM by Steve Herschbach.
March 12, 2017 05:07PM
Thanks

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

March 12, 2017 05:30PM
ghound obviously doesn't believe any of the testers on this forum.
March 12, 2017 05:45PM
I didn't like the impact when I first got it. I had no breakdown on the machine even though I had my input on some of what I wanted to see implemented on the impact. So I was having a hard time understanding what and how the programs were being used and what made them unique. It rained all fall and winter and so hunting was not possible but running the machine and settings to find glitches was what they wanted for the most part. When I found some of the other testers I asked questions that I could apply to the programs on the detector. Now I could hunt with a better understanding of the way the machine worked. And now I understood how unique and powerful this impact was. I dug holes I couldn't finish because of the depth. The tones are like no other tones I have heard before. The modulation is fantastic. In some instances it sounded like a dolphin but in a very cool way. Now I'm not giving up my deus I feel both machines are at the top of their game. So as a tester and I'm not as smart as some of the other testers I'm more street smart I have to fumble and tinker before I get the connection. But thr prove is in the finds and over the years the last 20 I can match my calif finds with the top hunters and feel proud to be in their class of relic hunting.

LowBoy

[www.youtube.com]

March 12, 2017 06:03PM
When somebody someday introduces something truly new, the first data we will have to begin to evaluate whether it is a breakthrough or not will come on a forum where folks who have used it in the field are released from their non-disclosure bonds and tell us how it went in testing

We are indeed fortunate to have the benefit of their results before we spend hard-earned $$ on an new machine.

Years ago all we had were magazine reviewers. The best and most honest of them were limited by the realities of the publishing medium. Now everybody is a publisher.

Chose your sources of information based on their reputation, built up by frankness and candor over time. We are fortunate here to have some who I think represent the gold standard.

Rick Kempf
March 12, 2017 07:06PM
NASA-Tom Wrote:
> Just a thought:
>
> If you look at Minelab
> Bruce Candy knew the Explorer was 'incomplete' and
> plagued with problems upon product roll-out. But..
> .... corporate-demand prevailed. Frustrated he was
> /is.

Tom,

I'd just like to point out a slight inaccuracy: Bruce Candy was deliberately kept away from the Explorer project.
Management at the time wanted a new group of physicists to stand on their own two feet as a new emerging group.
At that time Bruce was kept busy with his "GP" designs. Input from Bruce came at the very end of the project.
If anyone was frustrated it was me. I felt a further 3 to 4 months could have brought some improvements.
Prior to release I was also very frustrated that there were to be no changes to the hardware which, ultimately proved to be 'the Achilles heel' of the project.
For example, no stand, a one eight inch headphone socket, it's color, and that stupid coil stand.
No one foresaw the weak plastics.

Thanks for allowing me to clarify this.

Des D (ex.Minelab)
March 12, 2017 07:07PM
Ghound and I actually come form 2 different parts of a country where there are NO dealers, in fact I my half of the country it is actually illegal to promote the sale of metal detectors for the purpose of hunting archaeological objects, so yes we have to very wary about glowing reports on new detectors. We don't even get to see detectors in real life let alone even try one out. Things don't help when top field tester in this part of the world was not given one to test.

From my experience, I become very sceptical when I see lots of glowing reports on detectors, I have got burned to many times. Its not till the negatives come out that real pros and cons come to light. I have read Toms report and loved it, he put it up there against one of the current depth monster. I also have read most of what Steve publishes on his site, there you will get the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth.

It becomes hard not get offended and very sceptical when one of the Impact testers reply to the original question by calling him a clown and then start detector bashing, really????

MichiganRelicHunter wrote

"be criticized by all the skeptical and delusional internet clowns that think their overpriced cell phone on a stick is the be all, do all, end all machine to all machines."

Steve sure is correct about one thing, the negativity on forum is horrendous.
March 12, 2017 07:16PM
Why would i be asking the testers for more info if i didn't believe them?

hastings Wrote:
> ghound obviously doesn't believe any of the tester
> s on this forum.
March 12, 2017 07:32PM
Here are the negatives I've collected from reading all these threads.

It likes bottlecaps,... so don't use it in a bottlecap infested hunt.
Only 4 AA's power the machine,... so have a refill on your person when going detecting.
An F75 might be a tad deeper,... how many people can really handle the F75.

What I like:
Coil wire is where it should be.
Decent positive looking buttons.
Trigger.
Volume control in the wright place.
An I-tector, hook it up, get some bugs fixed.
Headphone is wireless.

And the people who I trust have given it a Thumbs Up for a selectable single frequency VLF unit.
It has made an impact on me,... if I get bored or fed up with my current selectable single frequency VLF unit,... I will buy and try!

Thx to Nokta and their field testers for making this possible.

HH
Johnb
March 12, 2017 08:09PM
scoopjohnb Wrote:

> Only 4 AA's power the machine,... so have a refill

Most times you end up stoping at a gas station before a hunt to grab batteries that cost 5x more. its a issue, but yes most times the person will remember to have the rechargables all ready to go the night before the next days hunt. You can also accomidate the nokta by keeping a set in your vehical at all times because you will need extra batteries often with just 4 AA powering the thing. I hunt 12-14 hours in a day most times that setup just dont fit for me. there is other who would agree I'm sure. Rutus got slammed for a 6xAA setup. 4 is just not enough juice.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/12/2017 08:10PM by Diggs4ever.
March 12, 2017 08:24PM
Wow I would say save your energy and wait until
Others use it and understand it. It takes a bit of time
To learn it and what it can do but it is the user that
Has to see if they understand it. It takes time
To see if this machine fits your needs. You can't
Judge it just by your first few finds and hunts. It's
When push comes to shove that you can decide
If it is better than what you are using or it will make
A one two pounch for your needs and find a place
With what you are using now.

LowBoy

[www.youtube.com]

March 12, 2017 08:47PM
lytle78 Wrote:
> R C - you never give up do you,
>
> Still badmouthing First Texas and rooting for coun
> terfeiters. Oh well.
>
> The F75 platform (which is the same "engine" as th
> e F70) seems to still be pretty much current techn
> ology - at least in the view of Tom D, Keith South
> ern, etc. who seemed to find that the F75 gets bet
> ter depth than the Impact in tough mineralization.
> Of course you may have other opinions based on you
> r own experience of the F70/F75.
>
> Meanwhile I guess the money FT is paying Dave John
> son, Carl Moreland and a flock of other engineers
> is pointless, since YOU know that marketing is all
> they are really interested in.

lytle78

First off - I am NOT badmouthing FT

Secondly, everything that comes out of your mouth is FT this FT that and no-one else is bringing New Technology to the table - Obviously you are blind to the fact that both Nokta/Makro have done this - it comes as no surprise really as the original Racer was touted as nothing more than a toy by many experienced people in the hobby -

You do not have to go on about an entirely different detector to try to sell the AmeriTEKs as they will no doubt sell themselves being based on fantastic units that are already on the market -

As for your unfounded claims about rooting for counterfeiter, I call BS - You just cannot seem to get your head around First Texas do make some of their gear in China - No not all, but they do work closely with the Chinese in manufacturing their products -

As for my ChinaTEK comment - it stands to reason -

euroTEK
AmeriTEK
ChinaTEK

Did you miss out on a sense of humor?

Try not to blow things out of proportion lytle78 _ I have tried to work in with Mike Scott & Dave J regarding a particular re-branded unit so I have no idea why you keep up with the 'counterfeiting' dramatics

If you did actually take some time out to do some research then check out my website, then pop back and tell everyone I hate FT products

Finally I am amazed that a manufacturer has so much faith in you - Lets face it. you cannot find anything New in all this Tech that has been released over the last couple of years - I would hardly call that a glowing report by someone who obviously is shining a torch for one particular company - Good luck with that and keep up the good work for FT -

[www.earthscan.co.nz]